Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

How often does or did it happen for you? and your honest opinion if you could change anything you wanted about it, what would you change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
By hit on, you mean overt and obvious? Quite a bit when I lived in the South. Now, I get stares and smiles, but rarely, if ever, approached in person.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
By hit on, you mean overt and obvious?
Any of the following : cold approached, flirting, hit on.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
It depended on where I was living and working. When I lived in one neighborhood - I would get whistled at and yelled at from the minute I stepped outside my door. It got to the point where I would just ignore everyone. When I worked at the front desk at a gym - I would get hit on by the trainers and members a lot - probably not every day but fairly often. When I catered and had to wear a god awful outfit - I got hit on less but still occasionally by the other caterers or sometimes a party goer. When I would go out with friends, I would get hit on, too. Basically, living in NYC, I got hit on quite often. Out here in the burbs, I rarely get hit on. Of course, I have spent most of my time being pregnant and carting around little ones with me! Plus, it's mostly families out here. This one guy flirted with me at the grocery store when I was out with my son and he was out with his teenage daughter. He was nice but it was a bit awkward as he called himself out on it, I'm married, and it was in front of his teenage daughter!

I'm not sure what I could change or would change. It is what it is. I've pretty much always been in a relationship so I never dated any of the guys that hit on me.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
How often does or did it happen for you? and your honest opinion if you could change anything you wanted about it, what would you change?
I don't much about women. But if they're attractive, they get hit on all the time.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
By hit on, you mean overt and obvious? Quite a bit when I lived in the South. Now, I get stares and smiles, but rarely, if ever, approached in person.
Same here and one of the benefits of age is that the really stupid stuff has died down. There were times when I felt like a piece of meat and that is not flattering. Now I'm thrilled if they just check me out.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
If I don't know you, just don't touch me and it's all good.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
When I used to be a pool lifeguard (ages 16, 17, 18) I got hit on all the time--several times a day. I worked at an apartment complex one year, the YMCA another, and a hotel the last year. Especially at the hotel men thought I would go to their rooms with them. And it was always by much older men (30s-60s but sometimes young Airmen from the Airforce Base who were maybe in their 20s--but it still seemed like ages apart from my point of view). I didn't care for it because it creeped me out as a kid (yeah, I was a kid). If I could change something about it, it would be that it was guys my own age (and without the overt "come to my room" invites)... then maybe I would have had a date to the prom

I still get hit on by older men... I don't know what it is about me that causes this. And I would still prefer to be hit on by men closer to my own age. But now I am more accepting of up to 10 years older and it doesn't creep me out anymore as I am more mature and able to handle myself better.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When I used to be a pool lifeguard (ages 16, 17, 18) I got hit on all the time--several times a day. I worked at an apartment complex one year, the YMCA another, and a hotel the last year. Especially at the hotel men thought I would go to their rooms with them. And it was always by much older men (30s-60s but sometimes young Airmen from the Airforce Base who were maybe in their 20s--but it still seemed like ages apart from my point of view). I didn't care for it because it creeped me out as a kid (yeah, I was a kid). If I could change something about it, it would be that it was guys my own age (and without the overt "come to my room" invites)... then maybe I would have had a date to the prom

I still get hit on by older men... I don't know what it is about me that causes this. And I would still prefer to be hit on by men closer to my own age. But now I am more accepting of up to 10 years older and it doesn't creep me out anymore as I am more mature and able to handle myself better.

Its an interesting point re the older men. I've seen it all the time in everyday life too.

Its like the older guys have a free license to do and say what they want, obscene, crude, whatever.
Its much more rare to see younger guys behave similarly.

Last edited by dave nz; 03-18-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
When I was younger a lot. Now that I'm older once every six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships