Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

Last Sunday I went on a date with a man (A). On paper, he's everything a woman in her mid-twenties seeking a serious relationship would want. He's 24, successful (PhD candidate), charming, classy, polite, well-read, loves to travel, open to new cultures, smart, funny, objectively good-looking, sweet. The date lasted two hours with a few awkward silences here and there. We had a good conversation and it was a bit fun, but I asked myself a couple of times "when is he going to suggest leaving". I was on the fence the entire time.

I'm not sure I'm physically attracted to him, but maybe physical attraction might grow on me. The problem is we are too much alike. Same taste in everything, same way of thinking, same ambitions, same culture, same values, same preppy mentality. He doesn't bring anything spicy and I find it quite boring. The scenario is too "mature", too "uptight" for some reason. I'm very luke warm at the moment. Part of me wants to let go and part of me doesn't. I can't picture myself marrying the guy. Mind you, during the date I even had a moment where I thought I'd for sure cheat on him if I were to date him (not good, I had never even thought about cheating).

Now, the week before, we ended things with another man I'm still hung up on (D). D is the polar opposite of A. He's 24 and a college drop-out who works as a bartender at this hole in the wall bar. He doesn't have his life together, clearly. However, he and I have our fair share of common points and differences (mainly movies and diet) which I like. I felt an instant spark with him. He's fun, insane, and has some swag. The vibe was so goofy and fun. Our dates lasted 8 hours and there were no awkward silences at all. The conversation was just flowing, and we'd tease each other like kids. The physical attraction was sizzling. He was a bit immature though.

I used to be so into D, day dream about him and I (you know the drill, warm fuzzies and all), but he didn't treat me properly. A told me he was not looking for a hookup at all. But I barely think of him, unless I check my phone and see his name.

Hence when I compare these two men, I'm confused as to what to do withA. A asked me out on a second date (next Sunday) and I'm not sure if I should cancel. I'm very much confused and I need some advice.

I clearly didn't feel any instant passion unlike what happened with the other guy. What should I do? I'd feel horrible if I were to let him go because that would confirm the "nice guys finish last, girls love d-bags" cliché.

Thanks!

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 03-19-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Last Sunday I went on a date with a man (A). On paper, he's everything a woman in her mid-twenties seeking a serious relationship would want. He's 24, successful (PhD), charming, classy, polite, well-read, loves to travel, open to new cultures, smart, funny, objectively good-looking, sweet.
Thanks!
What does he have his PhD in? Cause unless he was a child prodigy its about impossible to earn a Phd by that age. I can't think of a way to do that.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
How can you dump someone you aren't involved with?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
What does he have his PhD in? Cause unless he was a child prodigy its about impossible to earn a Phd by that age. I can't think of a way to do that.
I didn't say he had a PhD, I mentioned PhD, meaning he's still working towards it.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I didn't say he had a PhD, I mentioned PhD, meaning he's still working towards it.
Just thought you were being lied to based on your original post.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
How can you dump someone you aren't involved with?
Dump as in "let him go".

Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Just thought you were being lied to based on your original post.
Ha. I would have been surprised too ha. Clearly, that would have been a lie.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 PM

I guess these two guys are the only option and you have to decide if you will marry one of them eventually right now.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
You went on 1 date with a guy and you already thinking that you'll cheat on him?

It doesn't really sound like you are at the same maturity level as "A." Most girls that go for bad boys have some issues that they need to sort out before they are ready for a good guy.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM

I love how Bachelor #2 is a "bad boy" because he's a waiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships