Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,788,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I did on-line dating once. The experiences were mixed. Most did genuinely want a strong relationship and not just sex. I doubt anyone does it for sex. Women were weary and wanted to know that I did not have lots of baggage and was solvent I put in a picture I though was good - we see ourselves differently than other people as we only see frontal looks of ourselves in mirrors most of the time. WE also see ourselves being much younger than what we are. Most said my picture was unflattering. One attractive lady in a pristine trouser suit, who was waiting for me under a big clock, when I approached her and said her name, looked at me and said "wow I never thought you would look like this". Her picture was also unflattering towards her. She was expecting a pretty unattractive man to meet her. So, get someone else to view your picture, preferably of the opposite sex. Get one taken wearing formal nice clothes. No baseball caps, t-shirts, etc.

The photo is important as it is the first draw. I like tall slim women and the photos don't usually show that.
Oh there are people on there who just want sex, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,896,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh there are people on there who just want sex, trust me.
I noticed a lot of the fat chicks on the dating site I frequented were pretty desperate for hook ups. I'm a mid 30's virgin but still not desperate enough.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,632,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Do you think online dating is better for attractive people than average looking people? I feel like online dating promotes shallowness.
"yes" on both counts

you shouldn't take your online successes or failures to heart.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,342,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not all, but the majority on dating sites are. And you can imagine the very few attractive ones are being messaged by thousands of men.
Er. No they're not. That's a huge exaggeration. They do get more messages than others, but certainly not hundreds or thousand in a day or week.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Er. No they're not. That's a huge exaggeration. They do get more messages than others, but certainly not hundreds or thousand in a day or week.

perhaps not "a thousand a day", but an attractive woman in a major city getting 100 messages in a week is realistic.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,839,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
perhaps not "a thousand a day", but an attractive woman in a major city getting 100 messages in a week is realistic.
and 95 of those messages are from creeps and losers. I went on a date with a girl and had her pull up an account once and she said she hadnt logged in for a week.. she had 150 messages waiting

Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
and 95 of those messages are from creeps and losers.
you think 95% of men online are creeps and losers?

that's.... harsh.

i mean sometimes i feel like 95% of women on okcupid are losers, but i give them the benefit of the doubt , because communication is vague online.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,342,179 times
Quote:
It depends on many factors. But there's an average number of profile views. So if the number of profile views doesn't line up with the messages received then it stands to reason that some exaggerated amount is not the actual amount.

On OKC in their forums members talked about their average profile views per week, and even for attractive women it averaged around 130-140 per week. On one occasion I logged on and saw the accumulated 600+ Likes or quick match, but this was calculated over a period of about a month or so.

This last time it said 300+ over a period of a couple weeks. These weren't people who may have viewed my profile. They just saw me in the "locals" section and swiped my photo "yes."

Average number of profile views per week was 150. I certainly wasn't getting dozens upon dozens of messages per day, but then my profile required decent reading skills.

Now, that was with OKC. It was different with PoF, but still not "hundreds or thousands a day or week."

Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It depends on many factors. But there's an average number of profile views. So if the number of profile views doesn't line up with the messages received then it stands to reason that some exaggerated amount is not the actual amount.
i'm not sure what you mean. obviously men (on average) send a great deal more messages than women, regardless of profile views.

Quote:
On OKC in their forums members talked about their average profile views per week, and even for attractive women it averaged around 130-140 per week. On one occasion I logged on and saw the accumulated 600+ Likes or quick match, but this was calculated over a period of about a month or so.

This last time it said 300+ over a period of a couple weeks. These weren't people who may have viewed my profile. They just saw me in the "locals" section and swiped my photo "yes."

Average number of profile views per week was 150. I certainly wasn't getting dozens upon dozens of messages per day, but then my profile required decent reading skills.

Now, that was with OKC.
well, i'm saying that attractive women in large cities can get 100 messages/week

not that all women in all cities will always get at least 100/week

Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,339,185 times
Quote:
you think 95% of men online are creeps and losers?

that's.... harsh.

i mean sometimes i feel like 95% of women on okcupid are losers, but i give them the benefit of the doubt , because communication is vague online.

NOT 95% of men online are creeps and losers; 95% of the messages to women come from creeps and losers. Seems plausible to me that creeps and losers might be more likely than others to scatter a lot of messages around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships