Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

I can understand the people saying it is tacky to ask. That's why I asked the question here, to get your opinion.

However, to call me selfish or controlling because I didn't want to pay for a movie ticket seems a bit harsh. I hate the movies, haven't been there in 10 years. I find it to be a waste of money and I don't even like 300.. or any movies currently out. I pay for all dates, treat her well and always ask what she'd like to do. It's not like I'm some sort of inconsiderate guy who will only do what I want to and when I want to.

Hell it's not like the movie is the only thing we were going to do tonight. I'd end up paying for everything else, which would still cost more than a stupid movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I can understand the people saying it is tacky to ask. That's why I asked the question here, to get your opinion.

However, to call me selfish or controlling because I didn't want to pay for a movie ticket seems a bit harsh. I hate the movies, haven't been there in 10 years. I find it to be a waste of money and I don't even like 300.. or any movies currently out. I pay for all dates, treat her well and always ask what she'd like to do. It's not like I'm some sort of inconsiderate guy who will only do what I want to and when I want to.

What's tacky is inviting someone to go do something and then expecting them to pay for you. Meaning, your GF is the tacky one in this case.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What's tacky is inviting someone to go do something and then expecting them to pay for you. Meaning, your GF is the tacky one in this case.

Tacky is a very polite way to put it. Most people would say rude.

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

Not saying you're inconsiderate, but it sounds like you'll only PAY if it's something YOU want to do.

That is about control. You pay for "all" dates, but suddenly you want to know if you should ask a HER to pay.

Also, if you haven't been to a theatre in 10 years, why would she even ask you to do that still? Eternal optimist?

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:

Hell it's not like the movie is the only thing we were going to do tonight. I'd end up paying for everything else, which would still cost more than a stupid movie.
I don't see it that way, but you were inadvertently testing her. And she failed didn't she?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Her demanding him to pay for it or they won't go at all sends the message that she's more than willing to spend his money on things she wants to do and value whether he wants to go or not, so what he wants isn't as important to her as his wallet. If it's really about seeing the movie, she'll arrange to see it with girlfriends. But then, of course, she'd have to pay her own way.
I must have missed the part where he claims she "demanded" he take her to the movies and pay

Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I don't see it that way, but you were inadvertently testing her. And she failed didn't she?
cough..

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
If anything I'm just digging the fact your girlfriend wants to see the new three hundred. I can tolerate that. Sounds like a keeper to me.
So many people forget how important it is to look for the positive in every situation, lol, good for you!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not saying you're inconsiderate, but it sounds like you'll only PAY if it's something YOU want to do.

That is about control. You pay for "all" dates, but suddenly you want to know if you should ask a HER to pay.

Also, if you haven't been to a theatre in 10 years, why would she even ask you to do that still? Eternal optimist?

Did you miss the part where I said I take her opinion on everything that we do?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:

Soo... if you said "I don't really like going to the theater to see movies, but if you're buying the tickets, I'll go with you"... I see no issue with this. It's not rude.

You have told her you do not like going to the movie theater, and you do take her other places and you're obviously not cheap or tight with your money.

I would only see an issue with this if you were constantly counting every dime to make sure you didn't spend more on her than she spent on you. Which, it is clear, you do not do.

You're good.

If you feel like it confused her, explain that you don't really care to pay for stuff that you really don't like to do, but you wanted to try to meet her halfway.

She will understand this.

No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships