Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree?
I agree 13 20.97%
I disagree 22 35.48%
I'm on the fence, it depends 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
He actually is a stay at home dad now with some consulting work on the side. I have no idea why he couldn't keep a job, as I never asked him. He does something with computers.
It sounds like his life has worked out perfectly for him. He couldn't hold down a regular job, but he's enjoying being a SAHD, plus doing part-time work on the side. Congrats to him! He's lucky he had friends to set him up with someone compatible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
I have plenty of girlfriends who have never dated much or had a serious relationship and they are in their thirties. One was very attractive, but she gave off this "don't mess with me" vibe. She always wondered how I got dates and she stayed home. I basically would talk to people, lots of people. I would smile and act interested in them. I even asked guys out casually. I would say, hey do you want to get lunch at such and such place?
I find that odd you wrote 'plenty' of girlfriends who never dated or never had a serious relationship and now are in their thirties. Would you consider most of them unattractive? Shy? Too picky? I say odd in the sense it's plenty as opposed to a few.

I only know a very select few who never dated or had a serious relationship. Unfortunately it was mainly due to their lack of looks.

I do have sympathy for kind unattractive women. They really have it tough in the dating world.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We all have choices to make in life.

Some of us just choose more wisely than others.
That was real helpful.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no the reasonyou do not make it can be determined by a cat. if the cat runs from you its the same stuff that make women run from you. once you figure that out you will have to lock yourself in the bathroom to get away from women.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I find that odd you wrote 'plenty' of girlfriends who never dated or never had a serious relationship and now are in their thirties. Would you consider most of them unattractive? Shy? Too picky? I say odd in the sense it's plenty as opposed to a few.

I only know a very select few who never dated or had a serious relationship. Unfortunately it was mainly due to their lack of looks.

I do have sympathy for kind unattractive women. They really have it tough in the dating world.
I am a teacher and have worked with hundreds of women through the years. So I come into contact with a lot of women. There is a subset of teachers who devote themselves to their careers and stay single, for various reasons.

Some are very attractive, but introverted, shy, or very religious. Some are unattractive or have really ugly personalities. A couple of them are Asian and still live at home with their families and are not allowed to date without their parents approval.

So out of the hundreds of women I know, I am talking about maybe 15 at the most.i exaggerated by using the word plenty.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
There's asymmetry however that asymmetry doesn't really hold relevance to me in being unsuccessful with the opposite gender as again I find that depends on the definition of success.

No different than there's a glaring asymmetry in that likely a guy's options are all/mostly those he considers attractive as he did the approaching while a gal's options even if she does approach those she considers attractive are likely mostly those she doesn't consider attractive as generally she was approached by whoever wanted her. Yet that glaring asymmetry doesn't really hold relevance to being unsuccessful as I find that depends on the definition of success.
You just contradicted yourself in one sentence.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I think of success as finding someone you are attracted to and they are attracted to you and you have a romantic relationship of any length of time. It's about finding a connection with someone.

Trying is talking with people of the opposite sex and being open to dating a wider range of candidates.

The people I know who are over thirty, alone, and virgins of both sexes are that way because they limit themselves. They want some dream or fantasy that has no basis in reality.

One girl said she could never date someone like my husband because he was balding a bit after 40. I am not a blunt person, but I flat out told her...you would not date a smart,handsome, nice guy because of a few missing hairs?

The men I went to college with, who are over 40 and still single are looking for the same type of girl they liked in college. That's fine if you want to be alone or date sparingly at best. Women who would be perfect for them are brushed to the side because of age, being divorced, having a child, or not being successful enough or too successful. They always ask to be fixed up with young single teachers I work with, but they are picking the beautiful 23 year old popular type girls. Those girls don't want to date men twice their age unless they are rich and look like george Clooney.

One of the happiest couples I know were two longtime singles who got married after age 35. The guy was so nice and sweet. He had trouble getting and keeping a job and lived with his parents. He was probably a 4 or 5 in terms of attractiveness. We set him up with a longtime single teacher who was about the same in terms of attractiveness. He treated her like she was the most beautiful person alive, he is so happy to have her and she returns that feeling. They are married with two kids now.

Everyone can find someone.
I agree.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
You just contradicted yourself in one sentence.
No you cut off the sentence. The sentence is "while a gal's options even if she does approach those she considers attractive are likely mostly those she doesn't consider attractive as generally she was approached by whoever wanted her"

That's not a contradiction. Perhaps you're unaware that gals generally get approached by guys whether they want him or not? So even if a gal also approaches guys she wants it's reasonable that likely most of her options will be unwanted.

In other words: Gals options = (guys who approach her most are unwanted) > (guys she approach that she wants)

Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
No you cut off the sentence. The sentence is "while a gal's options even if she does approach those she considers attractive are likely mostly those she doesn't consider attractive as generally she was approached by whoever wanted her"

That's not a contradiction. Perhaps you're unaware that gals generally get approached by guys whether they want him or not? So even if a gal also approaches guys she wants it's reasonable that likely most of her options will be unwanted.

In other words: Gals options = (guys who approach her most are unwanted) > (guys she approach that she wants)
Sorry. I missed the commas you forgot.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Sorry. I missed the commas you forgot.
Seems less like a slight on my writing and more on your seemingly being so emotional on your agenda you leap for any inkling of an error.

If anything it was a period I missed not commas as I combined two complete sentences- one about guys and one about gals. Since the gal's sentence was the latter it's a bit telling that you still seemingly missed the end of the sentence I italicized. Perhaps you were too focused on notion of gals approaching guys and trying to nitpick/find some error in such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships