Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I agree, as usual there are a lot of assumptions and generalizations being made here.
We are obviously generalizing as very few questions about human behavior/emotions can be pinpointed specifically.

And just bc some of the happiest couples I know are on their second marriage does not mean they dated a lot...some went from marriage one to marriage two without a whole bunch of fuss in the middle (or before).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We are obviously generalizing as very few questions about human behavior/emotions can be pinpointed specifically.

And just bc some of the happiest couples I know are on their second marriage does not mean they dated a lot...some went from marriage one to marriage two without a whole bunch of fuss in the middle (or before).
What do you consider dating a lot?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What do you consider dating a lot?
I think I have dated a lot bc I have had 5 serious (8 months to 9 years) relationships.
Those five are also the only people I have "dated," as I don't bother dating anyone
who I don't see potential with. I usually have known them before and vetted them before I would even consider pursuing something romantically.
But that is a lot of "experience" (8 months, 13 months, 4 years, 7 years, and now 9 years with my wife), in my opinion.

To contrast, a VERY happy couple with a solid relationship that I think of right off the bat - the second person she ever dated and I think the 3rd or 4th for him (neither with any long, long term stuff like I had).
Another one - they were their firsts.

But that doesn't mean these people were like 19 when they got together. They just had long stretches of waiting for someone good enough.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Again, though, what do we really know about what goes on behind closed doors?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think I have dated a lot bc I have had 5 serious (8 months to 9 years) relationships.
Those five are also the only people I have "dated," as I don't bother dating anyone
who I don't see potential with. I usually have known them before and vetted them before I would even consider pursuing something romantically.
But that is a lot of "experience" (8 months, 13 months, 4 years, 7 years, and now 9 years with my wife), in my opinion.

To contrast, a VERY happy couple with a solid relationship that I think of right off the bat - the second person she ever dated and I think the 3rd or 4th for him (neither with any long, long term stuff like I had).

But that doesn't mean these people were like 19 when they got together. They just had long stretches of waiting for someone good enough.
I think I only know 2 people right off the bat that married their first loves - and I don't know them well enough anymore to know what their relationship is like. I consider my relationship to be VERY happy - and I had 2 long relationships before my husband, and he had about the same. My best friend is very happy with her husband and she had about 4 or 5 relationships before her husband and dated a handful of other guys. I would say that's about the same for most of my friends. 3-5 serious relationships and maybe a handful of other people that they dated casually. I don't really consider this a lot of experience or little experience - more just average.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
What are your thoughts? Are people who've been around the block a few times happier and eventually settled down with happier than those who found someone they really connected with right off the bat?
No comparison between the two. One set of people was lucky and the other set of people had to go through what most of the world does.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,361,746 times
I think happiness is more closely aligned on how lucky you feel to have your partner. My husband and I feel so lucky to have each other, and we think good things about each other.

Our couples friends that are not happy, one spouse thinks they are better than the other one.they think, oh my spouse is lucky to have me because I am so much ( hotter, smarter, wealthier, better).

Old 03-27-2014, 04:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
There are too many other variables that affect the quality of a relationship, it would be impossible to isolate it to just the "experience in other relationships/no experience in other relationships" factor.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No comparison between the two. One set of people was lucky and the other set of people had to go through what most of the world does.
I can understand the OP's logic here though. People who've gotten a chance to have a lot of partners feel that they have experienced all there is out there and because of that feel confident that they are ready to settle down. Someone by comparison who has only been with one or two people their whole lives might wonder what they are missing and start to stray.

However, this is only a theory and there really and it really doesn't have any concrete evidence to back it up other than individual anecdotes.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 PM

30,745 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think I only know 2 people right off the bat that married their first loves - and I don't know them well enough anymore to know what their relationship is like. I consider my relationship to be VERY happy - and I had 2 long relationships before my husband, and he had about the same. My best friend is very happy with her husband and she had about 4 or 5 relationships before her husband and dated a handful of other guys. I would say that's about the same for most of my friends. 3-5 serious relationships and maybe a handful of other people that they dated casually. I don't really consider this a lot of experience or little experience - more just average.
That would be close to most people I know too, even though I'm sure most dated more than a handful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships