Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Why is it always Nigeria that spawns the scammers? Why isn't it ever Ghana or South Africa, or some other English-speaking African country?

Off-topic, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Well duh, any woman worth a damn is not on dating sites, she's out in the real world, getting approachd by real men. If a woman is attractive and not a mental case she doesn't need online dating. Online dating seems like its good for hooking up with random chicks. Online is just another way to separate a fool and his money.
Well, it's nice to know I am an ugly psychopath. I need a mask and a chainsaw now

In all seriousness, I think after a certain age, you just don't meet people. And most men my age are married. I have a social group... all the men are married except one (and he's gay). All the women I know are married except two (and they can't find anyone either). There are only 12 people in my office. Half are men and all those men are married although there is one guy 10-years younger than me (I am not his type though, he wants a girlfriend from his country/culture. He's a cool guy to hang out with though when we are out of town at conferences). I don't go to bars (never liked them) besides, like I said most of my friends are married now, so who would I go with? Go there and sit at the bar by myself like a loser?

I've tried scuba boats, meetup groups, speed dating (ugh, was the old bitty of the group--all where in their early 20s), etc. I talk to men in public and such--I meet a lot of nice people that way. But no dates.

I really don't like online dating much either to be fair. I seem to attract married men, men 20+ years older than me, jerks who think they are pick-up artists (which makes no sense to me because I am already on a date with them... why do they think they need to pick me up?), and crazy guys. But I *have* gotten dates from it. But I am going though a lot of frogs (so to speak). Right now my profile is on hold. I am taking a break. But eventually I will try again.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
LMAO! That's the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time! I didn't have THE TIME to look for a guy because I was working full-time AND getting my Bachelors full-time. I met several men who were very professional and in the same position as myself. There's no way in hell I was going to sit in a bar or club and wait on my true love, especially since I lived in a very touristy town.

Get with reality.
Looks like I hit a nerve, must be true. You think you're the only person in the world who works full time, or goes to school. You don't have to sit at a bar to meet people. Like I said, whenever I go out, the attractive women NEVER have problems with dudes hitting on them, or trying to talk to them. You know that's the way people did it pre internet, and they seemed to find wifes, girlfriends, mates, just find.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Looks like I hit a nerve, must be true. You think you're the only person in the world who works full time, or goes to school. You don't have to sit at a bar to meet people. Like I said, whenever I go out, the attractive women NEVER have problems with dudes hitting on them, or trying to talk to them. You know that's the way people did it pre internet, and they seemed to find wifes, girlfriends, mates, just find.
Pretty apparent you've never worked full-time, nor have attempted to get a Bachelor's full-time at the same time.

Also, keyword is "pre-internet." Nowadays, online dating is a convenient and other avenue to meet people. As long as you're careful, why not try it?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
So do they have employees that send out trivial responses to a few of the guys messages. I have a friend on POF who will get trivial exchanges and they they just stop responding or he asks for a date and they stop responding.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
This kind of thing infuriates me simply because as a culture, we have to assume that people are telling us the truth or our society couldn't function. But when businesses, like GM or the government lie and deceive, or individuals do this, then it leads to further breakdown of society. Obviously you can't trust everyone all the time, but lying is bad. It hurts and harms other people, and I still hate evil.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Back in that day, they also said a woman's chance of getting stuck by lightening was better than meeting someone after 35 (or 40 or something). It gets harder to meet people randomly your age when you aren't in your 20s/early 30s. And working full time (and commuting) doesn't help. Like I said, the vast majority of men my age are married. Since my divorce, I've met one man offline that I dated and 8 online (but the online ones were, as I said married and looking for a mistress, crazy (world is ending/government is out to get me kind of crazy), a jerk, and one nice man, but no chemistry for either of us.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Back in that day, they also said a woman's chance of getting stuck by lightening was better than meeting someone after 35 (or 40 or something). It gets harder to meet people randomly your age when you aren't in your 20s/early 30s. And working full time (and commuting) doesn't help. Like I said, the vast majority of men my age are married. Since my divorce, I've met one man offline that I dated and 8 online (but the online ones were, as I said married and looking for a mistress, crazy (world is ending/government is out to get me kind of crazy), a jerk, and one nice man, but no chemistry for either of us.
Yet for some reason people are divorcing like its a cake walk to find people. With a 50% divorce rate I have a hard time believing that even a whole number percentage of those people are involved with hard core domestic violence.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Completely false. How do you explain good and solid marriages forming from online dating? Or people getting into relationships from them?

Look, I do think online dating is a huge numbers game, and something you REALLY have to constantly keep at (more-so as a male), but you can find a girlfriend/wife from those sites. One of my friends met his girlfriend from Okcupid, and another met his wife on one of those sites.
Only 1 out 5 relationships started online, so that means 80% meet their SO offline. And of those who do meet somebody online how many are really going to marry that person?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well, it's nice to know I am an ugly psychopath. I need a mask and a chainsaw now

In all seriousness, I think after a certain age, you just don't meet people. And most men my age are married. I have a social group... all the men are married except one (and he's gay). All the women I know are married except two (and they can't find anyone either). There are only 12 people in my office. Half are men and all those men are married although there is one guy 10-years younger than me (I am not his type though, he wants a girlfriend from his country/culture. He's a cool guy to hang out with though when we are out of town at conferences). I don't go to bars (never liked them) besides, like I said most of my friends are married now, so who would I go with? Go there and sit at the bar by myself like a loser?

I've tried scuba boats, meetup groups, speed dating (ugh, was the old bitty of the group--all where in their early 20s), etc. I talk to men in public and such--I meet a lot of nice people that way. But no dates.

I really don't like online dating much either to be fair. I seem to attract married men, men 20+ years older than me, jerks who think they are pick-up artists (which makes no sense to me because I am already on a date with them... why do they think they need to pick me up?), and crazy guys. But I *have* gotten dates from it. But I am going though a lot of frogs (so to speak). Right now my profile is on hold. I am taking a break. But eventually I will try again.
Thank you for proving my point that online for the most part is a scam. Like I said it seems a great way for a guy who just wants sex to hook up with random women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships