Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 AM

36 posts, read 108,299 times

Advertisements

Wdyt? I know someone who is 35 soon to be 36. He has a master's degree, good solid job, and lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. He has never had a relationship longer than a year, ever. Says he has never truly been in love. No engagements, marriages, or kids. He is pretty focused on his career, but he is also always actively dating/looking for new people to date.

Do you think it's a major red flag? Or NBD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
I'd say no big deal. He sounds like he's doing quite well for himself and has his priorities in order.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Its not a *major* red flag, but be prepared to deal with someone who will have to do some major adjustments for your relationship to get serious.

In all likelihood, you might be the one trying to push things along and you shouldn't be surprised if he tries to slow things down from fear of the unknown or things going faster than he is comfortable with.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
If you are just having fun and want a short term relationship, great. If you are wanting a long term relationship, proceed with caution. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. There are a myriad of reasons he has not had a long term relationship, and most of them are negative if you want a LTR.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Is he an engineer, software or otherwise?

It seems to be part of the culture of certain geeky careers that the guys don't date much until they are older.

Or, it could be that he has some serious personal issues that are not visible to you as a friend, and only come out in relationships.

If he doesn't, he will still have the problem that his relationship skills are not developed. There is a steep learning curve, and a woman his age may not be willing to wait for years while he learns.

I don't usually advocate age gap relationships, but he might be a good candidate for one. A girl who is 10 years younger than him, but very mature and ready for the life stage he is at (which I assume means having kids, etc.) might be a good partner for him. They can learn together . Or a geek grrl!

-

ETA: Ohhhh... I managed to overlook this part:

Quote:
but he is also always actively dating/looking for new people to date.
Yes, huge red flag. If he has the dating experience but has not fallen in love, that is a scary-bad sign, IMO. And he should definitely not date younger.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I wouldn't call it a red flag, because I don't think it is a bad or harmful thing, but he would probably be more compatiable with a woman who was in the same boat, than a woman who has been married before or came out of a long term relationship

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredHope View Post
Wdyt? I know someone who is 35 soon to be 36. He has a master's degree, good solid job, and lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. He has never had a relationship longer than a year, ever. Says he has never truly been in love. No engagements, marriages, or kids. He is pretty focused on his career, but he is also always actively dating/looking for new people to date.

Do you think it's a major red flag? Or NBD?
I think the fact you think this may be a major red flag is a major red flag.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM

658 posts, read 847,842 times
Let's face it. Men have an advantage in dating. From what I've seen in men similar to your description above is they have a mentality that they have no incentive to settle down. They enjoy playing the scene.

Yes, it is a red flag to me.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
I agree with others, I don't see a red flag here. That guy is doing better than me, at least someone liked him back at some point.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Now I do agree that if you're looking to get married and have kids it might be an issue. But if you're just looking for a boyfriend and not interested in the husband and kids, then it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships