Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,816,274 times

Advertisements

Wow, went to another licensed counseling social worker and he gave me a hard time by saying "how he didn't have a real clear picture" and that was why he was asking many many questions. And keep in mind I am a very direct and detail focused person, I've been told that from several sources. His only advice was to write down the negative thoughts I had about myself. And like that would help ?? I also had to probe him for advice because he was NOT freely giving it to me.

Another problem is that he "put words into my mouth" and then said so isn't that right and making speculations about me. I was sort of overwhelmed and confused by the speculations as they didn't ring true for me. It was like he was from mars and I was from planet earth. I had to correct him and I felt on the defensive rather than supported and helped.

Anyways, your thoughts on this? Is this a situation like with the bad hair cutters or what??? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM

672 posts, read 2,121,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow, went to another licensed counseling social worker and he gave me a hard time by saying "how he didn't have a real clear picture" and that was why he was asking many many questions. And keep in mind I am a very direct and detail focused person, I've been told that from several sources. His only advice was to write down the negative thoughts I had about myself. And like that would help ?? I also had to probe him for advice because he was NOT freely giving it to me.

Another problem is that he "put words into my mouth" and then said so isn't that right and making speculations about me. I was sort of overwhelmed and confused by the speculations as they didn't ring true for me. It was like he was from mars and I was from planet earth. I had to correct him and I felt on the defensive rather than supported and helped.

Anyways, your thoughts on this? Is this a situation like with the bad hair cutters or what??? lol

Well, just my opinion here, most social workers are kind of like public defenders. They are overworked and underpaid. I know about five social workers, and they have a harder job than most people realize. I wouldn't expect much if I were you. Sorry you're having a hard time though.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,117,353 times
maybe he picked up on you didnt like him very much and he did not feel like sticking his chin out?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-07-2007 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,370,866 times
Quote:
Maybe it was not a good fit for you. That's what you are describing at least. Why are you seeing a social worker?

Greenie

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM

60 posts, read 245,911 times
Look for someone else. My experience is that if you don't feel comfortable it's not very helpful. Can you get a referral from a friend with a similiar vibe who has had good luck with their therapist? All therapists are not created equal. It's kind of like making a new friend but within certain boundries because of the nature of the relationship.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 PM

he is a counselor and social worker that works with minorities. Just for advice and support. I've heard better advice on a dr. phil show for free LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Maybe it was not a good fit for you. That's what you are describing at least. Why are you seeing a social worker?

Greenie

Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Yep he looked overworked. He was all sweaty (massive pit stains) and looked agitated. He probably needed some therapy himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, just my opinion here, most social workers are kind of like public defenders. They are overworked and underpaid. I know about five social workers, and they have a harder job than most people realize. I wouldn't expect much if I were you. Sorry you're having a hard time though.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,370,866 times
Quote:
he is a counselor and social worker that works with minorities. Just for advice and support. I've heard better advice on a dr. phil show for free LOL
Try a different counselor than. It takes a while to find one that you mesh with.

Greenie

Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,984,861 times
Hey,

Somewhere in a recent thread we were talking about how ... maybe about 10% of therapists/counselors are really good. In all fairness, we were just saying that about a lot of professions. So don't take it personally that it didn't feel right, felt awkward, wasn't helpful. Look for someone else.

But ... good counseling can be uncomfortable. It just isn't uncomfortable in a way that is totally irrelevant and unhelpful.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,984,861 times
Default PS, one more thing

I also wanted to add one thing ... I don't know enough about the different approaches to therapy, different theoretical "schools" etc. But, the current thinking is that counseling should be more "collaborative". So beware of someone who talks on and on about "boundaries" between therapist and patient and then just stares at you crazily, refusing to say anything helpful. I would vote for more of a conversation between two adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships