Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 16,661 times

Advertisements

There's this guy I work with every day at my job as an analyst. He's been there longer than me (he's a few years older) and he sort of appointed himself as my mentor. He always checks up on me and tries to make sure I get invited to important meetings and things that will help my career. He's also said things that could be interpreted as flirting, but I want to know what you all think. For example:

- I really like talking to you. I could do this for a long time.
- (when he called me on my work phone) How's my favorite analyst doing?
- (correcting something I did wrong, in a playful tone) Now I never want to see you do that again, ok?

We get into long conversations about both professional and personal things. He's also smiled at me in this way that I think could be flirty, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Is he flirting or is he just being nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
He's into you. Could get complicated, especially if he's above you in rank (you mentioned: mentor). If you don't respond to him the way he wants, he could cut you off and roadblock you in your job/career. If you DO respond the way he wants, that could also get very complicated over time, and blow up in your face.

Do you have a supervisor? Is the supervisor aware that this guy is taking a mentor role with you?

These days, harassers have learned to toe the line very carefully. They're not as overt as they used to be; they've become expert at borderline behavior that can't be pegged as harassment. If you're not comfortable with his behavior, start keeping a log of it, in case at some point it escalates, or the opposite happens--he starts bad-mouthing you to others or cuts you off from opportunities on the job.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
You asked this 2 days ago:

crush on older, married coworker ... how do i get over him?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times
Idk do you want him to flirt for a furture date or proof to turn him into HR for harassment? Lol jk

Those statement seem cheesy and immature to me so yes I'd say he's flirting with you. Those statements are not professional in any way IMO.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousturtle View Post
There's this guy I work with every day at my job as an analyst. He's been there longer than me (he's a few years older) and he sort of appointed himself as my mentor. He always checks up on me and tries to make sure I get invited to important meetings and things that will help my career. He's also said things that could be interpreted as flirting, but I want to know what you all think. For example:

- I really like talking to you. I could do this for a long time.
- (when he called me on my work phone) How's my favorite analyst doing?
- (correcting something I did wrong, in a playful tone) Now I never want to see you do that again, ok?

We get into long conversations about both professional and personal things. He's also smiled at me in this way that I think could be flirty, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Is he flirting or is he just being nice?
Guys don't tend to "just be nice". If he's flirting with you he:
  • Wants a friendship
  • Wants a relationship
  • Wants sex
One of those. Because guys seldom are pursued, they tend not to need to think up excuses.

The real question is whether this is okay with you.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Keep romance out of the office
Don't play with married men
Do what you are paid to do at your job instead of drooling over some guy
Find someone else to have sex with outside of the office.

Quit asking the same questions since you are going to get the same answers no matter how many times you ask and how many different ways you word the question.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Is this the married guy?

Girl, you need to get a grip.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Since when are good manners considered flirting? A relationship with a coworker is a really stupid idea.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Since when are good manners considered flirting? A relationship with a coworker is a really stupid idea.
What do manners have to do with it? A married male employee saying "I really like talking to you. I could do this for a long time" to a female co-worker is inappropriate, especially when the married male is higher in rank or has taken on some kind of supervisory role.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do manners have to do with it? A married male employee saying "I really like talking to you. I could do this for a long time" to a female co-worker is inappropriate, especially when the married male is higher in rank or has taken on some kind of supervisory role.
Company after company has class after class telling us that this sort of thing is stupid. Now, she started a previous thread about having a crush on a married coworker. She's either confused, or she's making up the story to make waves and draw attention to himself. It is possible he is making advances.

I can even see the scenario plays out to the point she attempts a move, gets rebuffed and making a he said/she said claim, potentally causing the "he" some headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships