Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I'm sure there are safer ways to protect yourself. I mean, you could read about it, talk to people who have dealt with manipulators, I don't know, anything other than get involved with a manipulator.
Get a couple of female friends you can trust and they will educate you. And ask her to be honest with you when you do something that makes you a victim...it may hurt a little but nothing like a good honest friend.

Go to the clubs, park, Walmart (best) , a concert, the mall (another good one) and sit and have her point out the things to you she sees in a manipulator. Sometimes she will tell you to stop and listen to a nearby conversation so you can learn the terminology, the mannerism of manipulators and see how the person being manipulated responds. Knowledge IS power and experience is a very good teacher

Last edited by eyewrist; 04-16-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because Googling "how to spot an emotional manipulator" takes much less time and doesn't compel you to sink to the manipulator's level. Besides, if you knew he was a manipulator from the start, you already know how to spot one. All you needed to do was remove yourself from the situation.

Instead, it seems to me like you just wanted to try to beat him at his own game, and you wasted six months of your life in doing so, just to be spiteful. Sounds not only juvenile, but like a complete waste of time to me.
I gained knowledge therefore my time was not wasted. Plus we were not exclusive to one another so there you have it.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times
I thought all men could be manipulated. Are some men immune to this?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
No, they do not:

Inside Amy Schumer - Hello M'Lady - YouTube

Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist:
His techniques was unconditional giving, next conditional giving, then complaining and criticizing without giving and followed by gradual increase of out right burst of anger if things weren't done his way.
This is really the best description I have ever seen -- far better than any internet 'red flag' list I have come across.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I thought all men could be manipulated. Are some men immune to this?
don't worry, it's only the quality ones who are worth having that are immune.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Get a couple of female friends you can trust and they will educate you. And ask her to be honest with you when you do something that makes you a victim...it may hurt a little but nothing like a good honest friend.

Go to the clubs, park, Walmart (best) , a concert, the mall (another good one) and sit and have her point out the things to you she sees in a manipulator. Sometimes she will tell you to stop and listen to a nearby conversation so you can learn the terminology, the mannerism of manipulators and see how the person being manipulated responds. Knowledge IS power and experience is a very good teacher
Walmart, I always shop at stores, but I also find that a lot of people (men) have issues with boundaries.

And I was always around manipulators even raised by a manipulator for a good part of my childhood. I agree that there are certain things that only experience can teach you. I do have a female friend that I trust and she's been through all kinds of hell so she knows what to watch out for.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Could you see yourself dating/marrying a guy that is easily controlled?

What type behaviors does a man exhibit that let you know he doesn't have a so called "backbone"?

Thoughts...stories.....feel free to share what you like.
No.

They might tell you that they respect you, when in fact they are manipulating you even then.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,554 times
It is appealing to some women desperate to get some security in their life. Whether it be financial, emotional, or what have you, having an easily controlled man that likely won't leave is appealing. That is until the kids are somewhat autonomous and captain controlled is boring and her boss starts to seem pretty attractive.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Manipulators don't respect anyone.

And having known a couple of men who were passive "yes men" who didn't have their own interests, spine or a life that didn't revolve around their SO, I think women don't respect that kind of man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships