Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,344,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Homina

I hope you understand that we or I am speaking for me personally. Why marriage for ME at MY age is not bad but not something I want for myself and why I feel this way based on my life. Just so happens that a lot of us older women feel the same way. I am not saying in general that marriage later in life is bad for women or that all older men want taken care of.

Funny thing I was looking at the marriage license issued in my county the other day of the 5, 3 were couples 60 or over.
I have two daughters who are 20 and 23. Neither has any imminent plans for marriage, but we talk about their futures (individually) and I emphasize that they need to be prepared to make it on their own. Every decision they make needs to be in some sense reversible or any consequence from the decision accounted for. I want their life to work first for them, and then for anyone else they choose to include. I hear that that's what you're saying, too, and if I have a credo it's that; Make your life work for you while recognizing the other people your choices impact.

The rationale women used here, collectively, is what struck me. It's foreign to me. I don't know who these men are. I'm sure they exist, and I would likely have encountered them if I had romantic interest in men. But no.

I think you've spoken up a time or two when you thought women were being lumped together and someone's thought's about that lump cast you in an unfavorable role. That was my issue. If this had been a thread multiple posts about all the ways women are limited, as strange as that is to even consider, I think several of the active posters in this thread would object. Like I did, on behalf of
me(n).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
But I've yet to run into a man who didn't think it was my responsibility to do the cooking and the cleaning. I hear a lot of lip service about it, but when push comes to shove, it's like I said to Homina: In every couple that I know of, when both parties work, cohabitation or marriage means more labor for the woman, less for the man.
You have a major point, I will concede that. Post #81 addresses this attitude, and presents why this situation exists. However, this is not always true. In my case, I was recently retired, and she still worked full time. I did all of the laundry, shopping, and most of the housework. By mutual agreement, she cleaned her own bathroom, and I did mine. Rather intimidating to walk into a lady's bathroom, "What is all this junk, and how the heck can I work around it and clean this place without breaking or misplacing something?" Because my cooking skills are very basic, she did do most of it. It would have been grossly unfair for me not to do these chores, she worked and I did not. I perhaps took care of 75% of the household tasks, and I did them voluntarily, she did not need to ask or coax. This arrangement worked.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
You have a major point, I will concede that.
Mine did cook but I cleaned up after which is just as hard. I also did most of the laundry and bought groceries.
My Ex had to relearn her way around a grocery store.

Many good men do these things.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:44 PM

39,192 posts, read 27,570,476 times
With the right person, marriage sounds like a dream come true.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
With the right person, marriage sounds like a dream come true.
Never, even with the right woman. I will never give in to that scam again.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Never, even with the right woman. I will never give in to that scam again.
aww what happened?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
aww what happened?
I divorced the first two since they cheated, and ALL the rest can go to hell!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I divorced the first two since they cheated, and ALL the rest can go to hell!
You have been very unlucky. I am so sorry..

Old 04-18-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
You have been very unlucky. I am so sorry..
I'm not, I celebrate my divorces every year and I'm happier alone.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not, I celebrate my divorces every year and I'm happier alone.
LOL Yeah, marriage is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships