Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Dating use to be just about getting to know one another with an activity thrown in to help break the ice....

What the hell happened?
Yes, but meals/movies have always been standard date fare.

As a teen (when I was finally allowed to date, lol) my father fully intended for any boy who asked me out to pay, but sent me with my own money regardless.

I didn't expect boys/men to pay for everything. If I suddenly want a coke or whatever, I'm not going to be like Sandy in Grease 'I need some money, please'.

The first boy I dated would have been fine with that, though. If I tried to buy so much as a coke he was up to get it for me.

Or I guess he would have liked me to say 'I'd like a coke' or 'would you get me a coke?'

IDK - I have never asked so I can't even come up with hypotheticals. I just know he (and most men I dated) were aghast at the idea of me spending a dime on anything.

Recently a man just wanted to die, I think, because I was (as I always do) discussing with the waitress how to get what I'd like in a 'meal package' which is almost always cheaper than just ordering individual items.

I guess that's an ego thing - he didn't want to look cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I met a guy online. He is super nice and wants to meet up tomorrow night, but I'm low on funds and I really want to go out with him, but i don't want to tell him I'm low on funds and I'm not assuming he will pay the bill, i have a strong feeling he will tho, but i don't want to take chances. Should i postpone with him or just tell him my situation. What should i do?
Quote:
i'm afraid he might think that i'm not interested if i postpone to 4/25
Holy s#$t. What kind of woman are you?

You like a guy because he's nice, don't assume he will pay for the date, and on top of that are afraid of scaring HIM away?

I'll go out with you!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Been there done that. It really does suck. I'm with you OP, didn't want to let them know and didn't want to cancel or move it to another date.

Ask what did he have in mind. Then maybe suggest something free or outdoorsy. Just have transportation money/cell phone on you. Become indignant if he even tunes up to ask for you to pay for anything.lol

Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,659 times
Quote:
I met a guy online. He is super nice and wants to meet up tomorrow night, but I'm low on funds and I really want to go out with him, but i don't want to tell him I'm low on funds and I'm not assuming he will pay the bill, i have a strong feeling he will tho, but i don't want to take chances. Should i postpone with him or just tell him my situation. What should i do?
Go with him, you never know! Try doing something that don't required a lot of money, keep it simple. The first date should be more focus on getting to know one another rather than a expensive date. The thing is some times people can over do it trying to impress someone. He probably want to treat you but if you find yourself in a situation where you think you have to pay an amount you can't afford before it goes any further just tell him you feel the first date should be focus more about y'all getting to know one another, like if the weather good, go to the park, a museum, an art show, something like that. But if he do pay for yall dinner, you give the tip!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Been there done that. It really does suck. I'm with you OP, didn't want to let them know and didn't want to cancel or move it to another date.

Ask what did he have in mind. Then maybe suggest something free or outdoorsy. Just have transportation money/cell phone on you. Become indignant if he even tunes up to ask for you to pay for anything.lol
Lol,, yeah!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Isn't it the guy who pays the first time?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Isn't it the guy who pays the first time?
Usually! It's an odd phenomenon in our society. Men really are expected to pay, but the woman is still wrong to expect him to.

A woman is supposed to be prepared to pay and graciously accept his offer or insistence to.

Just one of the weird little dances we do since the days when the man paying was an absolute given.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Usually! It's an odd phenomenon in our society. Men really are expected to pay, but the woman is still wrong to expect him to.

A woman is supposed to be prepared to pay and graciously accept his offer or insistence to.

Just one of the weird little dances we do since the days when the man paying was an absolute given.
I feel even if someone is low on funds they should atleast have a credit card to hold them over until they get paid

Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 AM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

I still live in that world, and with all the confusion that is demonstrated in these threads I'm glad I do

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I still live in that world, and with all the confusion that is demonstrated in these threads I'm glad I do
I went on a date this weekend and the guy politely made it clear that he wanted to pay the bill when it arrived unlike the loser from last week who I split the bill with. haha

But yeah, I still had my own money to pay, if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships