Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
GUY to self: (after multiple sessions of mind-blowing sex utilizing all the furniture in the house, the car's back seat, and even some semi-public locales over weeks/months): OMG, she's SO HOT! She's so sweet! She's so cool! How am I gonna keep her around? What if she falls for someone else?

(cogitate, cogitate. Scratches head)

Guy to girl: Will you move in with me?

Girl: I don't know. What do you have to offer?

Guy: An engagement ring! Marriage! Please, I can't live without you! Don't make me grovel!

Girl: hmm... OK.
If I wanted to buy myself a woman I would, but I don't want to buy anyone.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
You also sign a contract in front of a judge with witness at the courthouse, but that hasn't helped reducing the many divorces from happening today.
How do you know this ? Has there been studies done that draw this conclusion or you just speculating ?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM

54 posts, read 42,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have you ever had a serious relationship with a woman ? Just curious.
Yes, several in fact. Along with a dozen shorter relationships, lots of flings and more ONS than I care to remember.

I've known (in the biblical sense) close to 100 women.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
How do you know this ? Has there been studies done that draw this conclusion or you just speculating ?
The divorce rate is like 50%, are you serious???

Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
You also sign a contract in front of a judge with witness at the courthouse, but that hasn't helped reducing the many divorces from happening today.

The OP doesn't want to get married....period!!!!!! People should just respect that. And it's not a requirement to make babies. There's a lot of single divorced patents on here. Are people saying their child's situation is unstable, and their kids are going to be raised all f*cked up?
The OP doesn't have to marry anyone to have babies. His problem is that he's narrowing his prospects WAY down, because few women will agree to raising a family without commitment in the form of a ring and a document. There are some out there who will do that, but the chances that they'll be compatible with him are slim. So he's setting himself up to look for compatibility out of an extremely restricted pool of candidates. That's what people here have been trying to tell him.

It would be so much easier for him to get therapy for his issues relating to divorce and marriage, so he can increase his chances of finding the right woman.

But...whatever. :-/

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM

54 posts, read 42,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
GUY to self: (after multiple sessions of mind-blowing sex utilizing all the furniture in the house, the car's back seat, and even some semi-public locales over weeks/months): OMG, she's SO HOT! She's so sweet! She's so cool! How am I gonna keep her around? What if she falls for someone else?

(cogitate, cogitate. Scratches head)

Guy to girl: Will you move in with me?

Girl: I don't know. What do you have to offer?

Guy: An engagement ring! Marriage! Please, I can't live without you! Don't make me grovel!

Girl: hmm... OK.
Thankfully, guys are becoming smarter than this. OP seems to have his head on straight in this regard.

Do you actually have a concrete benefit that men receive in marriage? Or another reason why they should do it?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If I wanted to buy myself a woman I would, but I don't want to buy anyone.
How is marriage "buying" someone? (Don't forget, she has to buy you a ring, too.)

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
It's common knowledge that approximately 50% of all marriages end in divorce. It is also common knowledge that many people can't afford to get a divorce and thus wait for a long period of time remaining married but not together.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Glad to see you're still reading, OP. Hopefully, with all the lame attempts to show you how great marriage is, you're resolved to never, ever do it.

In modern America, there is not one single benefit to a man getting married, none. Don't ever, ever do it.
You know, I am not a big fan of marriage and I won't ever do it again, but to say there are no benefits to men is misleading. As was mentioned, his paternal rights are the big one not to mention the financial, tax, and other benefits. There is a reason men are quicker to remarry after divorce and being widowed and there is a reason why gay men want the right to marry. Most marriages succeed. Close to 60% and that number grows every year as the divorce rate has gone down since its peak in 1979.

There are disadvantages in divorce (which is what you are really talking about--not marriage), and you brought up good points earlier. But that effects both parties. Divorce is fun for no one. I took a financial beating during my divorce. If a man is really worried about the financial problems of divorce (like alimony) the answer is simple, marry a woman who makes more than you do and always encourage her career--even at the expense of your own. Almost all states are gender blind when it comes to divorce and money.

But of course, this is all aside from the Op. This isn't a debate about marriage vs. non-marriage (which this has turned in to). The OP wants to find a woman who will have children with him out of wedlock. Those women are out there, but not easy to find. A lot are financially independent themselves and don't want to be tied down to a husband (or risk their money in divorce). It would serve the Op well to do his research to find out what's best for him... espically looking into paternal rights in his state, common law marriage (if it should come to that), and marriage itself. He might actually have more security (with his paternal rights) and advantages in marriage. He should really look into it and then decide.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
MJ7, maybe you haven't met a woman that you liked enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships