Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times

Advertisements

What Is the Optimal Ratio of Talk in a Relationship?

Do you know, I've never contemplated this in my life.

Relationships can't be analysed like that. Successful ones, anyway. Opposites attract, we all know loquacious women with silent husbands and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
So what did you talk about?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
So what did you talk about?

We walked some about ourselves, backgrounds, activities, families (raised by drunks), jobs - she's from the South, she loves going up into the mountains and wants to take me up there (but she doesn't want to go back to the South, which is fine with me). I'm approaching this with caution and don't want to hurt her.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
We walked some about ourselves, backgrounds, activities, families (raised by drunks), jobs - she's from the South, she loves going up into the mountains and wants to take me up there (but she doesn't want to go back to the South, which is fine with me). I'm approaching this with caution and don't want to hurt her.
Excellent freemkt! Keep it up with back and forth conversations.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Excellent freemkt! Keep it up with back and forth conversations.

Thank you, we are getting along very well. I signed up out of curiosity when I saw a housemate on the site, and everything I've read here gave me the expectation of receiving no messages, which was fine with me because I wanted to lurk (read profiles and view pictures) without actively participating. Was astonished when actual substantive messages (real content as opposed to the "hi there" and "where's your pic" messages I also received in the beginning).

I've changed over the years - particularly in the past year - and women change over the years also, in ways which seem to make me more attractive to some than I ever expected.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you, we are getting along very well. I signed up out of curiosity when I saw a housemate on the site, and everything I've read here gave me the expectation of receiving no messages, which was fine with me because I wanted to lurk (read profiles and view pictures) without actively participating. Was astonished when actual substantive messages (real content as opposed to the "hi there" and "where's your pic" messages I also received in the beginning).

I've changed over the years - particularly in the past year - and women change over the years also, in ways which seem to make me more attractive to some than I ever expected.
Aww that's good that you found good ones and that you are understanding.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
I prefer to be the more loquacious one (2/3 sounds good to me), but he has to ask me out and listen/act interested.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Aww that's good that you found good ones and that you are understanding.

Thanks, I wasn't so 'hot' a year ago, I was more like a surly curmudgeon. (eek)

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I wasn't so 'hot' a year ago, I was more like a surly curmudgeon. (eek)
What made you change?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
That is, should each partner talk more or less equally, or perhaps the more loquacious partner talk more than the other, or maybe they should switch (take turns doing most of the talking) from time to time?

I met someone online and after a few days of messaging back and forth, we talked on the phone for over an hour. By my estimate, she did about 2/3 of the talking and I was okay with that, but the intriguing thing is that she says I am 'interesting', which for her is a good thing because she likes interesting and hates boring. (I don't recall ever being deemed interesting before.) I'm thinking, if it's working, don't tweak it, i.e. doing more of the talking isn't necessary or prudent right now.
You're overthinking. Just go with the flow and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships