Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

As far as my parents split goes, my mother and father do not get a long at all. I am always in the middle of their arguments. They are not cordial with each other and use me as the messenger. It is really annoying.

That is on you. You allow that to happen.

And you can change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 PM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am late to the party and I didn't read all the posts, but I certainly think the breakdown of the American family has the consequence of people having no role models, or compasses, for how relationships are supposed to work.

If they have not been witness to a married couple, rolling with the punches in life, and supporting each other through hard times, how will they know how to do it? They have no tools in their life skills toolboxes.
Nah, that's what T.V. is for.

Seriously though, my parents were married 46 years when dad passed. Their marriage did not teach me how to have a successful happy marriage because they were not genuinely happy. There was not cheating or abuse it was basically Dad was the breadwinner thus head of household and mom kept her place. They were both good parents and raised us kids to be stable productive citizens but looking at their marriage I knew I would rather divorce than live in a marriage that was basically just going thru the motions. I'm sure that is a step above being a product of divorce though.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Seriously though, my parents were married 46 years when dad passed. Their marriage did not teach me how to have a successful happy marriage because they were not genuinely happy. There was not cheating or abuse it was basically Dad was the breadwinner thus head of household and mom kept her place. They were both good parents and raised us kids to be stable productive citizens but looking at their marriage I knew I would rather divorce than live in a marriage that was basically just going thru the motions. I'm sure that is a step above being a product of divorce though.
That's how I honestly feel about the marriage of my parents.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 04-30-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
They haven't done it in a while, it was mainly my mom who kept telling me to tell him stuff. I told her a while ago I'm not doing it anymore because it was none of my business. They are both adults, they can handle their own problems.

She just resents my dad because of what happened between them. She says she has let it go but she is clearly still angry and irritable. She takes it out on us a lot but it's her problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:

I'm not sure, really.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:

I really don't think I agree with this.

As the saying goes, it's better to come from a broken home than to live in one.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-30-2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 01:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
It doesn't really affect me, I have gotten over it for the most part. While it was going on, I went through a short depression. But I will say it mainly comes from how sometimes I feel as if I won't be able to have a normal REAL relationship. It's fear actually, I have mentioned before, I have been told many times that being single for so long at my age is not normal. After enduring that for so long, I am getting to the point where I don't even see it happening for myself anymore.
Don't believe this, don't internalize it. It's not abnormal to be single into your college years. There is no "norm" in this regard. People think pairing up and having teen drama is "normal" because that's what TV is about. But real life is very different from TV. Real life can be pretty ho-hum, which is why TV doesn't portray it. (Nobody would watch.) Lots of people go through HS and college without having a relationship. Just look around C-D, haha! But seriously, some people party their way through young adulthood, others are more quiet, introspective or studious types. Some are shy, some aren't. There are all kinds out there.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl;34598476

[QUOTE

I really don't think I agree with this.

As the saying goes, it's better to come from a broken home than to live in
one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not sure, really.
You guy may be right. I really don't know as I never experienced it and only had one friend throughout my childhood that was a product of divorce. I see the chit my gkids go through and sometimes wonder how in the world they process all of the blatant bitterness and shear crap of it all.

My home (parents marriage) was not a hostile one I just did not see happy parents that were the model of love, sharing, support and equality.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow. Thanks for explaining the mindset. Some people are really missing out on life's deeper aspects.
There are alot more people than you would think who agree with my posts, it was not too long ago when thats how society was structured. I dont know who was asleep at the wheel the last 50 years but the situation we are in now is not natural and the correction is going to be unpleasent.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:22 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wow. I think you are saying that women who are not attractive are more likely to be abused, be in loveless relationships or make bad choices in men because of how they look.

That's can't be your actual opinion--can it?
Its just what I experienced through life and dating and what other women in real life told me. I have an attractive cousin who had some bad break ups and she said she was just going to stay single, well that lasted a few months lol. I am sure there are smokin hot women who go sexless for years but I highly doubt thats the norm. If your hot have have guys hitting on you and your horny your going to bite sooner rather than later, so long as the guy is hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships