Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Arti, In Europe (many places in Europe we should say) they have completely open and free sex trade. It's something Americans cannot even fathom. Model grade women selling themselves openly to middle aged men in lush resort style clubs for less then $80 an hour for sex. In Europe, the older women expect and grant permission for their middle aged husbands to have mistresses. As long as he remains her life partner, and has no children from it, she is ok with it. In Europe, nudity is no big deal. You see ads with naked people in the paper and on television. Workers get two hours for lunch and can drink wine, you can have a beer while walking down the street and not get assaulted by America's finest street thugs in blue. Women can walk the streets at 2am in most cities and not be assaulted. They do not have gang bangers and drive by shootings.

There is a lot to be said for some country's European culture. Their divorce rate is less then half of ours too.
AKBoy: in Europe the women "granting permission" (as you put it) for their middle-aged husbands to have mistresses have guys on the side, too. And the 2 hour lunch is history in some parts of Europe. In parts of Europe, women aren't safe on the streets even in broad daylight; stranger rape is a growing problem. Random shootings have become a problem in Sweden, of all places, not sure about elsewhere. Please get yourself a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,976,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
But the post I quoted from Ruth was more of a catch-all statement originally: "women do this", "few women do this", etc. From someone who's so quick to call others out for statements of generalization, the irony was painful.
I think what we have here is a grammar problem.

In english, as you know, the sentence 'Women ask men out' can have two meanings:
1) 'Some women ask some men out, as a general statement'.
2) 'All women ask men out, always'.

I took R4T to mean the first, and you took her to mean the second. Which seems kind of goofy to me.

I can tell you 'It snows in the winter,' but that doesn't mean it snows every day, in every climate. It means that winter snow is, generally, a thing that happens. Same with women asking men out. It happens. Possibly not in Alabama.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Overall, I think it's getting better. Equality with women is finally reaching the sexual arena where women can be sexual being without repercussions (not as many). As with any change, there is a backlash, but to me that just proves progress.

It all takes time, but overall, I'm happy with the changes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times
I feel like if there is any disadvantage nowadays, it's the fact that social media (cell phones like the Iphone, internet, OLD, etc.) can brainwash a lot of relationships.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,738 times
I say worse. Damn near everyone cheats these days. Is it that hard to stay with one person?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,216,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Overall, I think it's getting better. Equality with women is finally reaching the sexual arena where women can be sexual being without repercussions (not as many). As with any change, there is a backlash, but to me that just proves progress.

I think equality and womens rights made things amazingly better for attractive women but for less than attractive women I think it made it far worse. Back in the day there were huge stigmas to divorce and people were married off really early so a less than attractive woman once married was somewhat set up as long as he was a decent guy to her and I think most guys were. I think people over inflate domestic violence, every single house on the block the woman was not getting beat up

Now less attractive women are used by a lot of men as stepping stones to get what they want. Because the desirable women have no reason to settle which means it can take a guy a lot longer to get what he wants and they need something in the mean time. I was trying to date one woman who was used a few times and she was talking about killing her self and obviously would not date me so that was that.

Did women think men would just roll over and take it, this is why you have less attractive women who are used and so much violence. There are no controls on the men to stay with these women and no controls on the attractive woman to stay with her man unless she is 100% happy.

We went from allowing divorce for serious things like physical abuse to a free for all that we have now where if the husband gets beef instead of steak on the burrito one too many times then he is out the door.

Also women will never have equal pay as a whole unless they start doing actual equal work, some women do and they make good money like nurse practiioners, doctors etc. But most women don't pursue things like engineering or MD's or take high risk ventures like starting a business. Some women do and they make the big bucks but most don't. Also I don't think women like negotiating, why should a woman get paid as much as me for the same position if she is not willing to take the risk of utilizing what ever leverage she has to get more money. If I had to put my job on the line to get a raise then why should she just automaticly get that same money?

I would be curious to see how many Caucasian couples are getting married out of the population, I would suspect that its significantly lower (I say Caucasian because the Mexican population is growing and they have a FAR different culture probably better than the Caucasians but it skews the stats as well). I think its funny that women still like to use the term why buy the cow when you get the milk free or putting a ring on it. As a guy im not buying anything, back in the day the man actually had something that resembled property rights over his wife but now its just signing on to an open ended liability from which she can walk away from at any time. No one would EVER sign a contract like that if it were in any other context but for some reason people are still convinced its a good idea lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Not to sound like a pessimist or a know it all but I think they are getting worse to be honest. Here are the things I see.

-People cheat like there is no tomorrow now.

-They have become more selfish and self centered.

-No one has anymore patience and give up at the first sign of trouble.

-People start acting irrationally after they go through a heartbreak and start trying to find ways to hurt people when they have been hurt in the past.

-They are focused on shallow things instead of the important things.

-Sex seems to be the prime motivation of every relationship, no one seems to love each other anymore, and are only there for the sex and not because they care about the person. (I have no issue with sex, I just don't think that should be the most important thing.)

-No one respects boundaries anymore, and go after people in relationships

-People seem to want to control others.

If there is anything I have missed, then please list some things you have seem. As I said before this is typically what I see in most relationships where I am. It really discourages me because I don't think I will find anything meaningful if things continue to get this way. It just seems no one understands the concept of a relationship anymore and have twisted and turned it into something it was never meant to be. I'm not dating primarily because there is no one I am interested in at the moment, and because of the reasons I stated above. If you disagree, please state your reasons. Please be kind! Thank you! I just want hear other people's opinions and experiences!
Almost the entire post is rubbish. I bolded some of the worst of it.

I am curious - how much dating experience do you have? I'm not sure I trust you to give an honest answer.

Some people have always been like that during my 30 years single and unattatched, not the everyone that you are making it up to be.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I say worse. Damn near everyone cheats these days. Is it that hard to stay with one person?
I do not agree with that.

For the better part of the last 22 years I worked in high rise office buildings and work with many people in an office setting including now. Not saying it doesn't ever happen but I do not see this. There has been no percentage increase of people cheating, I can say that for sure.

If the "everyone cheats" were true I would have been approached by at least someone in a committed relationship. It's never happened. If it did I have enough standards and an alive and well conscience to say no.

It's not all of a sudden some kind of epidemic you and the OP are making it out to be.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I agree, there is more and more sexual and financial equity, and a level playing field makes for more honesty and better sex.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
People have always cheated. As stated in other posts. Historically it was accepted if a married man cheated with and unmarried woman. But if a married woman cheated she could be beaten, mutilated or murdered because she was just a man property. If it had not been common practice back as far as biblical times there would not have been so many laws regarding adultery.

I have known several families of my parents and grandparents generation that found out about illegitimate siblings later in their adult life and I recall numerous stories of infidelity and divorce in those generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships