Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM

47 posts, read 67,580 times

Advertisements

I had a good relationship with my boyfriend for two years. He is 11 years older than I. I am 45 and he is 56. Well, he is sweet, funny, handsome, smart, financially well off.

Neither one of us had ever been married or had kids. We both were in school and spent time in our careers. We talked marriage. I was in love and wanted to marry him. I lost my job. I moved to a warmer climate, Florida, and started working from home full time, which was always a dream of mine. He promised me he would follow me and meet me here. We had some long distance misunderstandings and we ended things. He thought I was not faithful and no longer waiting for him, not true at all.

He got angry. He started acting like a mid life crisis was going on, and started dating another "girl."

I let him go. He would contact me occasionally and he was not with the same girl for long. I wasn't even angry with him, because I was glad to know where I stood.

Recently I messaged him on Linked In. We've been connected there for more than three years. His marital status showed single.

Then, through mutual friends, I saw a photo of him in a tux with a woman who is 25 years younger than he, her in a black evening gown. She posted the photo on a social media site, and she now has his last name, with people commenting and congratulating her. And no, I doubt she is his adopted daughter.

I feel so embarrassed that I messaged him, not knowing he was married. I am concerned that I now look like the stalker or the other woman. He never replied back to me. I removed him from my contact list. I deleted his numbers and will never contact him again. I feel betrayed in some way that he didn't think enough of me to tell me himself.

I find his behavior so bizarre. 25 year age difference? Maybe he wants kids and he didn't think I was young enough anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Well, when I remarried, I did not feel obligated to notify my ex wife or others I dated. Some of their reactions were priceless. It shouldn't really be surprising, considering you are his ex.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
It sounds like he has a lot of issues.

He was with you, an 11 year age difference, which many people feel is too much. Then he couldn't keep a gf for a while. Now he is acting out some kind of immortality or incest fantasy.

Just let it go. His issues are no longer your problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Well, when I remarried, I did not feel obligated to notify my ex wife or others I dated. Some of their reactions were priceless. It shouldn't really be surprising, considering you are his ex.

Really.
No reason he needs to tell you... or anyone else no longer in his life.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Original Poster: Your ex is not obligated to tell you anything about his current life. Besides who cares, his life, you are no longer in it, none of your business.

Stay off of social media.

It appears we are having a rash of "my ex got......" threads today.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_me View Post
I had a good relationship with my boyfriend for two years. He is 11 years older than I. I am 45 and he is 56. Well, he is sweet, funny, handsome, smart, financially well off.

Neither one of us had ever been married or had kids. We both were in school and spent time in our careers. We talked marriage. I was in love and wanted to marry him. I lost my job. I moved to a warmer climate, Florida, and started working from home full time, which was always a dream of mine. He promised me he would follow me and meet me here. We had some long distance misunderstandings and we ended things. He thought I was not faithful and no longer waiting for him, not true at all.

He got angry. He started acting like a mid life crisis was going on, and started dating another "girl."

I let him go. He would contact me occasionally and he was not with the same girl for long. I wasn't even angry with him, because I was glad to know where I stood.

Recently I messaged him on Linked In. We've been connected there for more than three years. His marital status showed single.

Then, through mutual friends, I saw a photo of him in a tux with a woman who is 25 years younger than he, her in a black evening gown. She posted the photo on a social media site, and she now has his last name, with people commenting and congratulating her. And no, I doubt she is his adopted daughter.

I feel so embarrassed that I messaged him, not knowing he was married. I am concerned that I now look like the stalker or the other woman. He never replied back to me. I removed him from my contact list. I deleted his numbers and will never contact him again. I feel betrayed in some way that he didn't think enough of me to tell me himself.

I find his behavior so bizarre. 25 year age difference? Maybe he wants kids and he didn't think I was young enough anymore.
And? He married a younger women, get over it. And I'm calling B.S. on this whole post, LinkedIn doesn't list people's marital status.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Original Poster: Your ex is not obligated to tell you anything about his current life. Besides who cares, his life, you are no longer in it, none of your business.

Stay off of social media.

It appears we are having a rash of "my ex got......" threads today.
Part of the problem is one or both can't leave the past in the past. They are unwilling to leave well enough alone.

Guess what. People break up all the time, whether it is a divorce, or the end of a long term relationship. Now here is a new flash, people move on. If that bothers you, get over it.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM

Linked In does most definitely allow you to show your marital status.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Part of the problem is one or both can't leave the past in the past. They are unwilling to leave well enough alone.

Guess what. People break up all the time, whether it is a divorce, or the end of a long term relationship. Now here is a new flash, people move on. If that bothers you, get over it.
Good advice. You are correct. And I actually took steps to block his new wife on my social media site, so I could no longer see any of the postings. And vice versa.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,208 times
I have never understood the whole concept of keeping in touch with an ex. To me ex means no more so there is no need to keep in touch unless there are official matters involved such as children or division of property or other official issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships