Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
With the exception of George Clooney, everyone who is single is so because of a lack of options. We can't find mutual sexual attraction. Everyone we're attracted to either isn't attracted to us, or is but has better options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uri234 View Post

I pretty much doubt that this will ever happen for me. Most women don't like me because I'm an ugly nerd and I also have several depressive illnesses which make it very difficult for me to interact with people.
This reminds me I was in Wal-Mart the other day (Yes, people, I go to Wal-Mart, the shame). I noticed a few couples that were both ugly and nerdy. My first thought was them being ugly, nerdy and weird looking they would have very few options (a side effect of CD-R) yet somehow they managed to find each other.

Uri, I'm guessing you singleness is due to your depressive illnesses and not the fact that you don't look like George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I disagree. I think there are many people that are single by choice as they want freedom and not to have compromise with another human being in their life.
You described me. The possibility of me ever getting a girlfriend in my life is next to none. I prefer my freedom and independence way too much.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:39 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I think for most people being single is just a matter of circumstance. It's not like I woke up today and thought I choose to be single today no matter what. Sometimes I've chosen to stay single because I didn't like the options I had for a relationship or because of life circumstances such as right after my divorce and pending a cross country move. The wording of the OP just makes it seem like anyone who is single is single because they had absolutely no other say in the matter and if they could be in a relationship they would be, and that's just not true.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
You described me. The possibility of me ever getting a girlfriend in my life is next to none. I prefer my freedom and independence way too much.
Aren't you on therapy because you're terrified of approaching women? Why are you trying to pretend now that you're celibate because you "prefer your freedom and independence"?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
With the exception of George Clooney, everyone who is single is so because of a lack of options. We can't find mutual sexual attraction. Everyone we're attracted to either isn't attracted to us, or is but has better options.
What's George's excuse?

[]

Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL..... goodlord... another..........
The lies and excuses people engage in

Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I'm beginning to think this is a bit of an illogical post. By the OP's standard EVERYONE is unwillingly single because the perfect person hasn't suddenly manifested. Well, sure.

If the "perfect" man or woman fell out of the sky directly in front of even the most devoted hermit or celibate, I doubt they would be rejected (assuming they didn't splatter like a balloon full of wet cat food), except for reasons of irrational religious devotion. I mean if a Hugh Jackman lookalike who had taken a vow of silence and loved to give animals life-saving medication dropped into my misanthropic best friend's yard, she wouldn't send him on his way.

You could say I am single due to the lack of options. I mean, there's been quite a few guys who would have been happy to pursue a relationship with me, but I ran in the opposite direction (often despite being strongly attracted to them) for various reasons. And there have been a few guys I have liked who haven't returned my feelings. But when I'm say I'm "single by choice," I mean I'm not willing to compromise on several key points that I consider vital for my happiness in any relationship. I'm overall quite happy with my life, so I don't see a relationship as a necessity. I'm certainly not working that hard to find one right now, and I'm content to bide my time until something comes along that I am certain will add to my current happiness. What I've got right now is pretty good, but man, the wrong relationship could suck the joy right out of things like a damn Dyson vacuum.

It's far better to be happy and single and maybe a little sexually frustrated than unhappy as one half of a couple who is maybe having some of their sexual needs met (because in an unhappy relationship, you're not gonna get all of those covered).

Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,514 times
Quote:
Whatever you say, all-knowing const_iterator. Don't you have a C++ coding project or something to work on?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Aren't you on therapy because you're terrified of approaching women? Why are you trying to pretend now that you're celibate because you "prefer your freedom and independence"?
Yes I am. My next session is Monday. My therapist told me not to date until my issue is in check. So I am enjoying my freedom and independence. Oh and I have been a virgin all my life.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:03 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Yes I am. My next session is Monday. My therapist told me not to date until my issue is in check. So I am enjoying my freedom and independence. Oh and I have been a virgin all my life.
What's interesting is that people here have given similar advice. No, there is no problem with it, I'm just making an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships