Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 02:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

A lot will depend on the size and weight of camper. I'd like at the Ford exploder, the Eco-boost engines impress me. The other one I like in that same range is the Toyota highlander. If something larger is needed I'd look at a ford expedition. I liked the one I had. Or a ford f150 with a crew cab.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:14 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
A lot will depend on the size and weight of camper. I'd like at the Ford exploder, the Eco-boost engines impress me. The other one I like in that same range is the Toyota highlander. If something larger is needed I'd look at a ford expedition. I liked the one I had. Or a ford f150 with a crew cab.

I'm looking for something that I think they called "class 2" hitch for towing for those little small trailers we were posting pics of a little while back... those are class 2 weight rated, I think the mid sized suv's can handle those.... I shouldn't need a big ass Expedition or Suburban for that.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm looking for something that I think they called "class 2" hitch for towing for those little small trailers we were posting pics of a little while back... those are class 2 weight rated, I think the mid sized suv's can handle those.... I shouldn't need a big ass Expedition or Suburban for that.
I'd go with a class 3 hitch for a safety factor. I'd also make sure whatever you buy has a tow package, wiring, plug for trailer brake controller along with transmission cooler and radiator to keep it all cool. A lot of ultralight campers will do fine. But the heavier hitch is peace of mind.

The explorer or highlander would be perfect for your application, IMO.

The **** I see on commercial motor vehicles is why I suggest heavier hitches etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

I just went to fords website and it does show the explorer being class 3 rated with the towing package as well... of course that's the 2015 model... I ain'ts buying a brand new vehicle... I'm a couple yr used kind of guy..

Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM

I think the patrol/pursuit rates explorers have a class 3.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Speaking of SUV's I've always hating those damn things.... ugly, boring, blah blah... but as of late, I find myself wanting to get one.... mostly for towing a trailer of some sort. I'm looking to get a little trailer for camping... can't make up my mind of which SUV to go with.

I know Toyota and Ford have had SUV's on the market forever... there seems to be tons and tons of brands and subtypes out there now.

Anybody got any recommendations on the best one.... looking for a mid sized one, like the explore not a big beast like the Suburban.
LOVE mine! (Nissan Armada). It is super reliable...haven't had any issues with it at all. It is a gas guzzler but we need a bigger car for the family and to tow the boat so this one fit the bill.

We looked at the Toyota Sequoia when we were buying but they were priced higher for similar options.

It's a beast too...got rear ended the other day and I barely felt the impact, her car was in pretty rough shape though. My car was fine (scuff on the bumper and a nick in the plastic area) but I'm taking it in to have the check the hitch before we put the boat on it again. It's got a LOT of room too, probably too much for your needs. The Pathfinder is the smaller version of my car.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM

That's a nice ride.

It is a beast...... that sucker is too big for just Mrs. Chow and I..... or is it me... I always forget that damn rule.

I don't need that much vehicle... LOL.....

The gas for that sucker would require a 2nd on the mortgage.....

Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times

Mark Schlereth's Father's Day Surprise - YouTube

Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
That's a nice ride.

It is a beast...... that sucker is too big for just Mrs. Chow and I..... or is it me... I always forget that damn rule.

I don't need that much vehicle... LOL.....

The gas for that sucker would require a 2nd on the mortgage.....
It is HUGE, but when we put our family and luggage in it, there isn't much room left for anything else!
When I'm by myself and I have all the seats down in the rear...it looks vast in size...lol

As far as fuel economy...yeah, not that great. I filled up today...$85. Now, my commute to work is 3 miles round trip...so that was a consideration when we bought it. I use my car for road trips...so that's where all my miles come from but they are mostly highway miles.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Head scratcher:
Neighbors went on vacation and rented a SUV to drive to their destination. They own a SUV. The SUV they own is bigger than the rented one. They complained about not having enough room in the rental.
Do they own the SUV or do they lease it? People who lease sometimes will rent a car for vacations to stay under their mileage limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships