Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times

Advertisements

OP:

Both you and your ex need time and space away from each other so the two of you can heal.

His contacting you needs to stop... now.

Either he just does not know what he wants or he is just being selfish. Either way the way he is acting is not helping you or helping him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztw View Post
So my ex broke up with me a year ago. We didn't speak for about half that time. He then tried desperately to talk to me by contacting my sister then finally emailing me. He dropped a note off at my house in my mailbox in January.. I gave in & gave him my new #. We talked almost everyday & he said he wished things were different & that he missed me a ton. Basically told me how he's making his life better for us.. We met up a few times & kissed, nothing else. I could have slept with him but I have not & he's tried on a few occasions.
he told me he never wanted to hurt me again but was very busy with school. -Then he sorta just stopped texting me all the time. I told him I loved him & could not be just friends with him. He responded with he's making too many moves forward & wants to be real close friends. & dosnt understand why we can't. He also added That he would never string me along or put me on the back burner...
He still randomly texts me & said he got me a gift when he was in Spain. (The whole time he was in Spain he texted me.)
When he got back I didn't hear from him at all for a week. Then all of a sudden he wanted to meet up.??
I've completely blown him off because I love him & I'm so freakn confused..
I don't understand what is happening? He knows how I feel about him. Is he playing games with me? He knows I can't be friends. What should I do? We dated for 8 years.
I've never felt such terrible pain in my life...
How is he even a "friend" when he selfishy keeps you around for his own benefit? My guess is his backup chick is still a work in progress, and he's mostly acting on his animal instincts and telling you what he thinks you want to hear.

You know how many times ex's try to contact other ex's and try to make a move on their so-called "friend"? I'm not saying all ex's can't be friends. In your case, he's clearly not.

Just another opportunist.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
I am at a point where I know I cannot be treated this way any longer. 8 yrs is far to long to be continuously disrespected. Friendship or otherwise. This has been the hardest year of my life. I took months off from work, fell into a deep scary depression something I am still dealing with.
I do agree with one poster (not sure who) that said I am letting him do this & treat me like this. I have made it perfectly clear to him how I feel about him & stated I cannot just be friends. He still reaches out to me.. For the last week I have continuously blown him off and ignored him, even though it is extremely difficult for me to do. I also understand actions speak louder than words and he is continuously shown me no respect whatsoever and that I am clearly not on the list of importance. Only when it's convenient for him is when he decides to text me or to meet up with me. He acts like he's sooo busy yet saw someone else for 4 months right after he broke up with me.

What really hurts the most is that he tried so hard for months and months to get in touch with me , only to just completely ignore me again and confuse me emotionally and basically break my heart all over again.
I'm going to tell you what my friends have told me: That rebound relationship was a farce.

The very nature of a rebound relationship is to try to feel love, and that's just not possible that quickly even in the best of situations, when someone is healed and whole. It goes from, "You're nothing like my ex! " to "You're nothing like my ex! " That's why most of them end after a few months. The newness wears off, as it does after a few months in every relationship, and the rebounding partner realizes there's no real connection there.

As Supermanpansy pointed out, people can't just turn their feelings off after all those years together. They may get out there and date, but I promise you that your ex's rebound relationship was about distracting himself from the pain of losing you, trying to feel the love and connection that he had with you, and, to a lesser extent, about proving to himself that he was still attractive. That it ended so quickly is just proof of it.

A couple of lines in the old Hall and Oates song "She's Gone" nail it:

Pretty bodies help dissolve the memories
They can never be what she was to me

As for him taking such pains to get in touch with you, you unwittingly did something that probably drove him bonkers: You walked away from him. Whether it's pride, a feeling of you being "the one that got away," or just a feeling of possession over you after spending so many years with you, he's still bent on knowing that you love him. It's a challenge to him to get you to admit it. Then he gets what he wants, and doesn't have to worry about it again until it occurs to him it has been long enough for you to find someone else. Thing is, while he may want to get you, he doesn't want to do anything to keep you. That's how you know it's his ego talking, not his heart.

That's why you need to not just ignore his calls, emails, and texts. You need to program your technology to block him. If my ex tries to call me on my landline, he will hear a message telling him that "this customer does not accept calls from that number." If he sends me an email, he'll get a bounce message saying that my mailbox only accepts emails from certain email addresses. No contact does not leave things up to your own willpower and ability to resist opening a message. It means the message does not get through to tempt you in the first place. That's what you made happen before, and need to make happen again, most likely for good.

Last edited by Lilac110; 05-06-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac110 View Post
he basically buried his pain in someone else's vagina.
quote of the year

Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
He wants sex.

You can either give it up to him and put yourself in the "side chick" category OR cut him off completely and begin process of moving on so you can find a the right guy.

Don't be like so many other women and continue to entertain exes that are not even in love with you.
Dead on.

The worst person in the world is the one who severs a relationship with you but won't leave you alone. It is cruel.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
quote of the year
Not sure what it is that compels a man to ejaculate his grief, but it's pretty transparent to everyone but himself and the poor woman dumb enough to let him do it and think she'll be able to hold onto him, especially if the relationship was as long as the OP's or mine. Even my ex tonight said he still has feelings for me. But what can ya do? He's going to handle his pain over the break-up as he will. I'd rather just take an Ativan and sleep it off. At least I don't have to worry about catching anything!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
So my ex broke up with me a year ago. We didn't speak for about half that time. He then tried desperately to talk to me by contacting my sister then finally emailing me. He dropped a note off at my house in my mailbox in January.. I gave in & gave him my new #. We talked almost everyday & he said he wished things were different & that he missed me a ton. Basically told me how he's making his life better for us.. We met up a few times & kissed, nothing else. I could have slept with him but I have not & he's tried on a few occasions.
he told me he never wanted to hurt me again but was very busy with school. -Then he sorta just stopped texting me all the time. I told him I loved him & could not be just friends with him. He responded with he's making too many moves forward & wants to be real close friends. & dosnt understand why we can't. He also added That he would never string me along or put me on the back burner...
He still randomly texts me & said he got me a gift when he was in Spain. (The whole time he was in Spain he texted me.)
When he got back I didn't hear from him at all for a week. Then all of a sudden he wanted to meet up.??
I've completely blown him off because I love him & I'm so freakn confused..
I don't understand what is happening? He knows how I feel about him. Is he playing games with me? He knows I can't be friends. What should I do? We dated for 8 years.
I've never felt such terrible pain in my life...
It's an extremely selfish thing he's doing. He wants you when he wants you, on his terms. He can't offer you any more than that and doesn't really care how it affects you. Sadly, you're going to have to be the one to draw the line. You can't be friends with him right now. You have to get past your feelings for him, and that's not going to happen if you are around him. Cut all contact until you are past this. I know it's hard, but you're going to continue on in a world of hurt if you don't.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 15,377 times
Talk to him about this, a heart to heart talk maybe of what does he really want from you. But be firm in your decision, if he is not willing to commit but just want to remain close friends, then cut him off in your life. This is so unfair for you. Even though you love him so much, this man isn't prepared to give the love back. You deserve to be happy, but you ought to free yourself first. No new love will come into your life, if you don't let go of this guy. Goodluck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships