Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Ztw Ztw started this thread

33 posts, read 48,627 times

Advertisements

So my ex broke up with me a year ago. We didn't speak for about half that time. He then tried desperately to talk to me by contacting my sister then finally emailing me. He dropped a note off at my house in my mailbox in January.. I gave in & gave him my new #. We talked almost everyday & he said he wished things were different & that he missed me a ton. Basically told me how he's making his life better for us.. We met up a few times & kissed, nothing else. I could have slept with him but I have not & he's tried on a few occasions.
he told me he never wanted to hurt me again but was very busy with school. -Then he sorta just stopped texting me all the time. I told him I loved him & could not be just friends with him. He responded with he's making too many moves forward & wants to be real close friends. & dosnt understand why we can't. He also added That he would never string me along or put me on the back burner...
He still randomly texts me & said he got me a gift when he was in Spain. (The whole time he was in Spain he texted me.)
When he got back I didn't hear from him at all for a week. Then all of a sudden he wanted to meet up.??
I've completely blown him off because I love him & I'm so freakn confused..
I don't understand what is happening? He knows how I feel about him. Is he playing games with me? He knows I can't be friends. What should I do? We dated for 8 years.
I've never felt such terrible pain in my life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,615,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztw View Post
So my ex broke up with me a year ago. We didn't speak for about half that time. He then tried desperately to talk to me by contacting my sister then finally emailing me. He dropped a note off at my house in my mailbox in January.. I gave in & gave him my new #. We talked almost everyday & he said he wished things were different & that he missed me a ton. Basically told me how he's making his life better for us.. We met up a few times & kissed, nothing else. I could have slept with him but I have not & he's tried on a few occasions.
he told me he never wanted to hurt me again but was very busy with school. -Then he sorta just stopped texting me all the time. I told him I loved him & could not be just friends with him. He responded with he's making too many moves forward & wants to be real close friends. & dosnt understand why we can't. He also added That he would never string me along or put me on the back burner...
He still randomly texts me & said he got me a gift when he was in Spain. (The whole time he was in Spain he texted me.)
When he got back I didn't hear from him at all for a week. Then all of a sudden he wanted to meet up.??
I've completely blown him off because I love him & I'm so freakn confused..
I don't understand what is happening? He knows how I feel about him. Is he playing games with me? He knows I can't be friends. What should I do? We dated for 8 years.
I've never felt such terrible pain in my life...

He wants sex.

You can either give it up to him and put yourself in the "side chick" category OR cut him off completely and begin process of moving on so you can find a the right guy.

Don't be like so many other women and continue to entertain exes that are not even in love with you.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 AM

89 posts, read 107,517 times
He is stringing you along, and succeeding, knowing how you feel about him. He will keep playing you until you take a huge bite of that hook he keeps dangling in front of you. That is emotional and mental abuse. If I want to be friends with a woman, I don't kiss her, say sweet nothings to her, and lead her on when I'm away. And if I know she's getting/has serious feelings, "in love" as you put it, I don't keep throwing out the hook and bait to her, I cut her loose 100% for her own good and my peace. You're being played and it will continue as long as you allow yourself to be played with your emotions. It will hurt, but which will hurt more if you find out he's just after non-committed booty calls. Hey, if you want to put yourself through that mental and emotional roller coaster, then by all means, it's a free country...
My philosophy, never go backwards, move forward, a new chapter without looking back at all...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I agree. He's too busy to commit to you; time to cut him--and yourself--loose. It hurts a lot, but it will pass. Let yourself grieve, get angry if you want, and let yourself move forward.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
You can be distant friends but not close friends. Also move in with your life and date other people.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
He wants sex.
Bingo!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Don't do it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Yeah, he just wants to be friends (with benefits)

Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztw View Post
Is he playing games with me? He knows I can't be friends. What should I do? We dated for 8 years.
Yes, he is playing games with you, especially if you've been broken up for a year. His erratic communication means that he's probably out there dating or seeing people and then contacts you when things don't work out with them.

I know this is hard. My ex tried to do the same thing, and we were together almost as long as you and your ex. It appears he has launched into a rebound relationship, but that didn't stop him from trying to keep contact, and even telling me he loved me, speaking to me the way he used to when we were together, (using pet names, inside jokes, etc.), the whole bit. Still gave me gifts, too.

Here's the thing: Your ex misses the emotional support he had from you. It's apparent in the way he told you he's making "too many moves forward" and wants to be "close friends." He needs the ego boost of having a number one fan to encourage him in his success and listen to him when he has a bad day. He's still getting the feeling of being loved from you, while he's not yet at that stage with someone new. Thing is, you can be sure that once your ex starts getting emotional closeness (not to mention regular sex) from someone else, he will disappear, and you will be hurt all over again.

After 8 years together, his behavior is the very height of selfishness and disrespect, not only for you, but for what you once had. Don't you think that after all that time together, you deserve to rank a little higher than safety net?

This talk about making things better for the two of you is malarkey. If he wanted to build a future with you, he'd be telling you flat out that he wants to get back together. He'd want to seal the deal by making things official with you, not showing up on your doorstep like a feral cat who hasn't caught any mice in a while and knows you'll feed it if it makes enough noise. He certainly wouldn't leave you unattached and in a position to meet other people, one of whom could take you away from him for good.

Sorry for the novel here, but I totally feel your pain. Best thing you can do is go no contact. Tell him you don't want to see or hear from him, and then block him in every possible way: phones, email, social media. He can't take from you if you don't let him.

Last edited by Lilac110; 05-06-2014 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: brevity

Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 AM

513 posts, read 798,782 times
He wants sex. He wants to play mind games. He wants nothing positive out of this.

Telling him if he does not cease contact with you then you will be forced to get a restraining order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships