Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What happens to people whose education does not match their income? Do they marry people similar to themselves economically or educationally?
That's a good question. I don't know the answer. I would suspect similar education levels are also extremely important. However, since the overlap between education level and income level tends to be pretty strong, it is hard to separate the two.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Pffft. Never mattered to me. Most of the guys I have dated have made significantly less than me, but have possessed all kinds of useful practical skills. I've got a degree in Literature from a fancy school, and I make a decent salary. I don't need a sugar daddy, and I don't have expensive tastes that would require a partner to have a similar salary just to keep up with me.

I admire competence far more than a paycheck, actually. Yeah, I've dated a few mechanics - but they've been damn good mechanics. Not to mention being really smart. Brains and competence are my sexiness downfall, I guess, lol.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
Men care more about looks while women need partner to be rich and ambitious | Mail Online

Why do people keep denying the truth of the human mammal. Men key off of looks and women key off of resources and ambition. Of course there are exceptions and there are other attractive qualities but theses are at the top of most lists and are dealbreakers for most.
I agree with you. However agreeing with you must make us shallow or oblivious to the outside world. Most people just want to ignore the obvious.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Usually true, but for both women and men. Most people marry people within their economic class, regardless of gender.
Disagree with the men part. Men mainly care about looks, not as much on a woman's income. Yes it helps if she makes a decent income, but if she is unattractive but makes a lot of money, most men will still pass on her.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
I would have to say true as well. I believe most women want the man to be more successful than they are. However, if the love is true then the amount of money one makes should not matter.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I agree with you. However agreeing with you must make us shallow or oblivious to the outside world. Most people just want to ignore the obvious.
Caring about looks doesn't make a man shallow. What makes a person (man or woman) shallow is when they ONLY care about one thing... meaning there is no depth to what they find attractive. Most men also care about a lot of features in a woman other than her looks (character, personality, interests, etc). Therefore, most men are not shallow--and I would say that's true even if they go for looks first.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Disagree with the men part. Men mainly care about looks, not as much on a woman's income. Yes it helps if she makes a decent income, but if she is unattractive but makes a lot of money, most men will still pass on her.
Yes but the men are still going to be caring about looks within their economic class.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes but the men are still going to be caring about looks within their economic class.
Bingo.

Yes, men will certainly have sex with women outside their economic class. But they are not likely to marry women outside their economic class. It happens, but it is not the norm.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That implies that women won't be.

Stockyman's issue was that men would care more about looks than economic status, and vice versa for women. Caring MORE about something doesn't mean you ignore the other one, simply that one will often take priority. I think he's got it right.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I would say true.. and not expect differently.

People should marry within their own socioeconomic class in my opinion. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but it's usually best that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships