Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
why do women say their not about looks, and that looks dont mean much. but when you got outside and see them, their boyfriends are not ugly or even average? i dont get it, i thought they were about personality ?
I haven't heard women say looks don't matter at all. I've only heard them say looks are not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,203 times
Rare exceptions, personality alone isn't going to land you someone pretty. Got to bring something to the table that women want, and it isn't just personality.

"He treats me nice but I'm not that attracted to him" is a recipe for resentment and a setup for a failed relationship.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Why should they date ugly guys if they don't have to? Attractive guys can have nice personalities too.
The quoted is a better summary of what I was going to try and post, but I'll try anyway

Posts like the OP assume that their "competition" (so to speak) is more one-dimensional than they often are. They'll see a woman with an attractive guy, write the guy off as being dumb/broke/an ass/disloyal/etc, and assume that she's choosing his physical attraction in spite of those other traits. In their mind, they'll view themselves as having positive personal qualities that are going unnoticed, while in reality, there are tons of guys out there with those same qualities AND are good looking.

Being nice, loyal, caring, etc. by itself is simply not enough, contrary to what we often hear. Because for every guy that possesses those characteristics, there's 10 others that have them AND can speak a foreign language. Or play the guitar. Or something else that sets them apart from people that would rather sit back and complain.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
Why are you surprised? Looks are important to women as well,if you dont pass the physical threshold for the women it doesnt matter how great your other traits are you wont get your foot in the door

Beinh physically attratcive to women makes things 100x easier in the attraction game

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Pretty women say their not shallow, but i hardly see them with ugly guys.?
Maybe the guys are good looking and very, very, poor? This is another way to show that the woman is not shallow. Maybe the guys are also poor with very small pee pees as well. Wouldn't this prove that the woman is not shallow as well?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Why are you surprised? Looks are important to women as well,if you dont pass the physical threshold for the women it doesnt matter how great your other traits are you wont get your foot in the door

Beinh physically attratcive to women makes things 100x easier in the attraction game
Yes, this notion that only men are allowed to value physical attractiveness is silly. Maybe back in the old days where women relied on men to financially support them, they might not have cared if the man was unattractive, but this is 2014. No one is going to choose you based on personality alone if they have other options.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
why do women say their not about looks, and that looks dont mean much. but when you got outside and see them, their boyfriends are not ugly or even average? i dont get it, i thought they were about personality ?

...Just no.

But you see what you see in your area. It really isn't that simple. I see pretty women with men whom I would consider, "ugly". But maybe she is actually attracted to him. Or maybe he has a good personality...

...Is this really a serious post I'm replying too.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
If you honestly don't regularly see attractive women with less attractive men, you're not paying attention. I see it all the time. I could introduce my girlfriend and myself to you as exhibit A.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, this notion that only men are allowed to value physical attractiveness is silly. Maybe back in the old days where women relied on men to financially support them, they might not have cared if the man was unattractive, but this is 2014. No one is going to choose you based on personality alone if they have other options.
Yeah the whole women dont care that much about looks or arent that visual thing is laughable..Looks are extremly improtant to women, the ones who say they dont care about looks are usually a bit disengenious too because they probably cant attract a really good looking guy

Most people are as shallow as their options the less options and people you can attract the less shallow you can be

Old 05-16-2014, 10:35 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Why is it with some "ugly" guys nothing will do but a pretty woman? Are they trying to pull some vicarious self-esteem from dating a good looking woman? Maybe they need to examine their motives before they slam pretty women for not wanting to date them. And as far as personality goes, some guys who are below average in the looks department have quite a bit of emotional baggage to deal with and it probably comes out in their personalities, too. I don't wholeheartedly embrace the popular belief that if a man or woman is plain they have this golden heart and soul. Some (plenty of them) are bitter, insecure and can be down right mean out of those tings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships