Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times

Advertisements

Are you, or could you be someone's second choice?

This came up in another thread and the thread starter was hurt to the point of considering ending the relationship. In her case, her one downfall had to do with her having less interest in outdoor activities than him, so it wasn't even a core issue like character or attractiveness. Other than this mismatch in one area of interest, she was "perfect" for him. However, she became aware of a woman from his past who was similarly "perfect", plus had a matched interest in the outdoors.

Would you be deeply hurt if you were in her place? Would you be hurt if you believed an ex was "better" than you in some area that hit closer to home, like character or attractiveness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Most people are.

Some are third, fourth and fifth choices. People don't often land their best match with their first relationship

Everyone is going to be worse or better at some things than previous. You can't view it like that unless you want to make your relationships about "who is doing what" and treat everything like a scorecard

Last edited by rego00123; 05-16-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

This came up in another thread and the thread starter was hurt to the point of considering ending the relationship. In her case, her one downfall had to do with her having less interest in outdoor activities than him, so it wasn't even a core issue like character or attractiveness. Other than this mismatch in one area of interest, she was "perfect" for him. However, she became aware of a woman from his past who was similarly "perfect", plus had a matched interest in the outdoors.

Would you be deeply hurt if you were in her place? Would you be hurt if you believed an ex was "better" than you in some area that hit closer to home, like character or attractiveness?
Exes are Exes for a reason.

Who you had relations with should not even be a discussion unless the other person asks.

I could never take a woman seriously that felt the need to voluntarily bring up her exes in conversation.
Serious sign that she has not yet gotten over him emotionally...which is a definite deal breaker for me.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
From that thread I believe most happened before, or a few day into her dating the guy. He hardly know her yet, so maybe she became his first choice then.

Honestly, I wouldn't do very well as someone's back-up choice, that's probably an immaturity I should work on, but I don't see it changing. Even when I was younger, if I saw a guy hitting on some women, and then hit on me it was an absolute no, didn't matter what he looked like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
I wouldn't care. So long as he seemed to care about me, respect me, and genuinely be invested in me as a person. Sometimes not everyone gets to come first. Some people date and get heartbroken many times before they meet that one solid match.

So, if I ever manage to land myself a man I was attracted to, and he treated me well, and we had communication and stability, then I wouldn't dump him for a past he can't change. His old relationships are in the past, so long as he's not still seeing any of the women. lol And he didn't outright say "You are nothing compared to her."

WHat happens if someone had a lover who died. If you ask, and they tell you they loved them, would just dump them because they had someone before you?

I find trouble comes when you compare yourself to other people with relationships.

A crush I have on a character in series I read has many women. He was with one woman we met, and she tells us he also had a relationship with her mother. Her mother has passed away long ago by this point, and he got with her. She just seemed to have nothing but love for him, and cared that he was a good man, and good lover to her. What he had with her mother when she was still a teenager had nothing to do with what she had with him then--before she died as well.

Different people make for different relationships, so just because they did it with one doesn't mean they will be that way with you.

People also grow and change over the course of some relationships as well which is something to factor in.

Like how one girl used to be very promiscuous, and slept with lots of guys--brothers, uncles, etc. Then when she got with her future husband, she made him wait for sex. He found out and wondered why she gave it up so fast with the others but won't sleep with him. She wasn't the same girl, and didn't care for those guys. She started to care about him, and wanted an adult relationship.

Or a casual relation is very open to sexual things, and orgies. But if they get with someone officially, they won't tolerate any of that. It was a different relationship.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-16-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
I recall another poster in that thread stating that, in the age of pre-internet/technology, no one had any way of knowing whether he/she wasn't someone's first pick, unless that person (directly/indirectly) told him/her.

I thought this was a rather interesting point...

I wouldn't take well to being labeled/thought of as my future husband's second best. In fact, it would be a deal breaker.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Exes are Exes for a reason.

Who you had relations with should not even be a discussion unless the other person asks.

I could never take a woman seriously that felt the need to voluntarily bring up her exes in conversation.
Serious sign that she has not yet gotten over him emotionally...which is a definite deal breaker for me.

Anyone who is holding someone new up to the measuring stick of some ex shows they have not fully moved on or reconciled why it did not work with their ex. They are just asking for trouble.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,572 times
Quote:

I have never been in a relationship before but I can clearly understand what you are saying and asking here.

Quote:

So my answer is YES, surely.If I was in her place I certainly wouldn't want to be her "second choice" be in any area for that matter, in that case I would say she doesn't deserve me.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I think everyone marries or loves at least their second choice and/or goes down the list. Everyone has a first choice that is probably a sexy celebrity they'll never meet anyway.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 AM

663 posts, read 777,746 times
I'm pretty sure most guys are a woman's second choice.

Think about it, you ask her out/approach her/etc

and she chooses yes or no.

Her first choice could have been the guy who never gave her a second look but she had to settle with you because you were interested in her and the first-choice guy wasn't.

As well, most women are a guy's second choice. Every guy would love to date Eve Mendez or whomever but realistic enough to know they won't get her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships