Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times

Advertisements

I tried a search on this thread, but nothing popped up. If there's another thread on this subject, feel free to up it.

...So another CD member and active poster said in a recent thread that there were preparations being made for a meet and greet with another CD member.

That disclosure blew my mind! CD (at least the relationship forum) is ... unique for lack of a better word, and I assumed that most members would give little thought to wanting to meet someone on here for possible dating purposes. But I guess it happens.

So how many of you have met or planned to meet another CD member?

Please tell us about that experience...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Yes, we met. We liked each other well enough. We are now married and it is awesome.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Not city-data, but I dated/lived with a guy for years who I met via posting on another forum - he was a poster, I was a moderator. He became interested in dating me, so we met up, then began a long-distance relationship, and I eventually moved to his city at his request. The relationship ended, eventually, but, AFAIK, not due to having met via a messageboard community. It was like any other relationship, it just happened that we first became aware of one another's existence due to online interaction, vs. face-to-face.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Yes, we met. We liked each other well enough. We are now married and it is awesome.
Beautiful. Did you first become aware of your future spouse via this forum or another forum on CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not city-data, but I dated/lived with a guy for years who I met via posting on another forum - he was a poster, I was a moderator. He became interested in dating me, so we met up, then began a long-distance relationship, and I eventually moved to his city at his request. The relationship ended, eventually, but, AFAIK, not due to having met via a messageboard community. It was like any other relationship, it just happened that we first became aware of one another's existence due to online interaction, vs. face-to-face.
Appreciate that.

And I'm not suggesting that having met on a message board community is a recipe for disaster by any means... There's so much "woe as me" in the relationship forum, poster's minds seem trained to interpret inquiries as having a hidden, negative agenda.

But I'm truly curious, and the curiosity was sparked by another poster in another thread... the only "negative" on my end is based on observations and/or characterizations about this forum and its posters (which rarely seem to be glowing).

I really thought, again, based on how many posters characterize others in this forum, that nearly everyone was closed off to meeting someone off this site (particularly the relationship forum).

With that said, anyone who met and dated from this forum would truly be something else.

So I just wanna know...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:11 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
It's totally possible and people have met and gotten together from here. Just know that some people are open to it, and others are not open to it at all.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
It was in the relationships section. We had both been admiring each other from a distance. We started writing each other and it developed from there.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It was in the relationships section. We had both been admiring each other from a distance. We started writing each other and it developed from there.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:02 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
A man from the relationship section of C-D? I am backing up and making the sign to ward off evil.

(said with apologies to the several men on here that seem to be rational mature adults)

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
I think meeting a random stranger here on CD would be much like meeting someone randomly at the mall.
Paths cross, eye to eye, and life experiences are shared. From that point on, who knows?

Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
There are quite a few people I wouldn't mind meeting from here, they seem like great people. Both male and female, but not for anything romantic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships