Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 AM

89 posts, read 140,190 times

Advertisements

According to her I shouldn't be pessimistic all the time. I'm just wired that way. I'm only considering it because I like seeing her happy. Should I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
According to her I shouldn't be pessimistic all the time. I'm just wired that way. I'm only considering it because I like seeing her happy. Should I go?

If you're pessimistic enough to make someone unhappy, it's probably not a bad idea. Pessimists are great at sucking the life out of everyone around them. They are some of the worst people to be around.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Wouldn't life be more fulfilling if you were optimistic about things instead of pessimistic?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
You should go at least once. Talk to the therapist about the differences between your GF's perceptions and your own. Make clear that as far as you are concerned, you are "just wired that way," and that you are untroubled by that fact. It sounds like your GF thinks therapy is about "fixing" people. That's not necessarily true. Sometimes it is just about getting an unbiased perspective.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
There are a lot of misconceptions about therapy, even (sometimes especially) by those undergoing it. I knew someone who likened it to auto mechanics, and thought it was supposed to "fix" him. I was like, "No...you do that."

Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Well, I've gone a few times well over a decade ago during some down times. I tend to think therapy is a scam except for some instances (survivors of sex abuse, PTSD, etc)... most of the time it's just talking and they chime in with a "how does that make you feel" idiotic comment from time to time... no real help. Maybe is someone has no self awareness at all it might be helpful to have someone call them on their sheet, but eh, I'd save your money.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about therapy, even (sometimes especially) by those undergoing it. I knew someone who likened it to auto mechanics, and thought it was supposed to "fix" him. I was like, "No...you do that."
I've noticed that on this board as well. People will say, "I went to a therapist once, and I wasn't cured." That's not really the point. Sometimes you need to talk it out with a disinterested party.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I've gone a few times well over a decade ago during some down times. I tend to think therapy is a scam except for some instances (survivors of sex abuse, PTSD, etc)... most of the time it's just talking and they chime in with a "how does that make you feel" idiotic comment from time to time... no real help. Maybe is someone has no self awareness at all it might be helpful to have someone call them on their sheet, but eh, I'd save your money.
This is a good cautionary note. OP, avoid "talk therapy", where you're expected to just blather on for an hour, while the therapist sits like a bump on a log, passively observing. There are many different approaches to therapy these days, thank heaven, so this old Freudian style has become kind of old-fashioned. Shop around. Try a few different therapists, after interviewing them on the phone.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM

231 posts, read 264,434 times
Quote:

Yes, see a therapist. Don't do it becuase you want to make her happy, you are not doing her a favor! you are doing it for your own well being..

Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
No. The reason to go to therapy is because you recognize that something is going on in your head that you need to work through. Doing it for someone else is pretty much going to guarantee failure. It sounds cliched, but the person in therapy has got to want to change, because they're the one who is going to have to do all the work.

Is there something you feel you need help with?

I'm kind of surprised at the number of people here who are telling you to go. We don't know how old you are, what your relationship to your girlfriend is, how long you have been together, the context in which she brought up the discussion, or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships