Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,218,504 times

Advertisements

We currently have a long-term guest in our house. He's hubby's friend and he's moving down here for a job. No big deal 'cuz we like the fam and they are just waiting for their house to get sold before the kids and wife come down, too. In the mean time, he is staying with us ... going on week 3 now.

Well, there hasn't been anything too outwardly annoying other than having to take care of two boys instead of the typical one. Yes, I am aware that I am calling grown men boys but prove me otherwise b'c men are s-l-o-b-s and now I am dealing with TWO. The good hostess in me, however, is just letting it go. Afterall, he is a guest.

What bothers me, however, is how freakin' outspoken he is. I know, it's totally stupid but the other day we were talking about how JK Rowling outed Dumbledore. All three of us agreed it was stupid b'c it just makes the whole series take a different spin. I proceeded to say, "I'm not anti-gay but come come on, making Dumbledore gay is just silly. Now you're going to have all these scense with just Dumbledore and Harry seem awkward." Guest says, "Well, I am anti-gay and I'm sick and tired of gays trying to convince me that being gay is OK." He continues on about his religious beliefs, how gays are horrible blah, blah ... blah.

I don't know why but I was just really annoyed. You are in my home as my guest eating my food and sleeping in the bed that I own using up my water and my electricity (which he's one of those that doesn't turn off the lights!) and you are going to tell me about how awful gays are when I just told you i'm NOT anti-gay?!?!?! What the hell?! I chose to keep my mouth shut b'c we don't exactly have a lot of friends and part of the reason he moved here was b'c of Hubby's friendship so I didn't want to make things awkward for later. I know how outspoken he is and guest is just being himself but I've come to realize that I like the guy only in small doses. Seeing him day after day and listening to his over-opinionated speeches on a daily basis is just getting to me!

Anybody want to give me advice as to how I can keep my cool? I'm afraid I'm just going lose it and lash out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,177,384 times
Does your hubby think Guest is overstaying his welcome?

OT: I gave you rep points because you used one of my favorite words...kvetch. Thanks for making me laugh.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,812,917 times
Come to Florida and visit me until your small minded guest leaves! I'll have margaritas and mojitos waiting for you!!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,393,115 times
Foma, any chance you could take a spa weekend? Because I think that's what you need - a break! Otherwise I would maintain the status quo for hubby's sake, and just count the minutes till he leaves. And tell us all funny stories to vent, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
OT: I gave you rep points because you used one of my favorite words...kvetch. Thanks for making me laugh.
And her story gives me a chance to throw a couple of my favorite yiddish words. If Foma's noodnik guest doesn't leave soon, she's going to plotz!

http://www.bubbygram.com/yiddishglossary.htm

Old 12-12-2007, 04:13 PM

Debsi: You are too funny...I love yiddish words and phrases. Have you ever read "Yiddish with Dick and Jane"? Or see the cartoon...they are hysterical...I love them and I am not even Jewish...just have had enough influence.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,218,504 times
Thanks everybody. Maybe I was Jewish in my past life? Heehee

Anyway, the one thing I told hubby when I agreed to all this was, "I want a time frame," and guess what hubby didn't do? You got it, ask how long he was going to to stay. In hubby's defense, he did say Guest said when they sell the house, which will possibly be end of January. Although not a "good enough" answer, if by the last of January Hubby doesn't give me an update, I will take matters into my own hands and will not feel guilty.

And no, hubby doesn't think Guest is overstaying. Honestly, typically I would not be bothered but I like to see an "end date" so I can count the days so to speak. You just can't be "yourself" when guests are around, you know? It's hard to maintain "best behavior" status for prolonged periods of time!

A spa weekend sounds greeeeeat. Actually, I'm heading to L.A. this weekend by chance and perhaps I can persuade my girlfriend to take me to one of those foo-foo L.A. spas! (although what spa isn't foo-foo?!)

Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM

good luck foma...have fun in LA!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,092,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Come to Florida and visit me until your small minded guest leaves! I'll have margaritas and mojitos waiting for you!!

Margaritas?????? Did somebody say, MARGARITAS????? WHERE?????

PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT AND DRINK EM ALL UP....WHOOO HOOOOO

MAY I COME TOOOOOO?????

Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Creme, you're welcome here anytime you can get here. After all, you're my honorary Mother in Law, aren't you?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Hey Foma, does he ever go home to visit his family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships