Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I met a 36 year old man who has claimed he doesn't date at all. He says he is too overqualified to have a relationship with a woman. He spent his entire life in college and is going for a 4th degree. He's told me he has met some crappy women in his life and even poured a pitcher of beer on a woman's head because she wouldn't leave him alone. I talked to him and he doesn't get why men want female validation. Can a man claim to be overqualified to have a relationship with women like he says?
He is clearly nuts.

Not for rejecting women but for believing this far out nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
I met a 36 year old man who has claimed he doesn't date at all. He says he is too overqualified to have a relationship with a woman. He spent his entire life in college and is going for a 4th degree. He's told me he has met some crappy women in his life and even poured a pitcher of beer on a woman's head because she wouldn't leave him alone. I talked to him and he doesn't get why men want female validation. Can a man claim to be overqualified to have a relationship with women like he says?
No, he can not be overqualified.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:

A PHD would be all he needed, why does he need 4 degrees unless he's bouncing around to different careers.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
A PHD would be all he needed, why does he need 4 degrees unless he's bouncing around to different careers.
aka with questionable "qualifications" for a relationship. Stability is a factor. He should definitely get over himself!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
aka with questionable "qualifications" for a relationship. Stability is a factor. He should definitely get over himself!

Yea he sounds arrogant. She can find someone better probably. I'd like to know what his career is.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 390 times
I see nothing wrong with what he's saying. He focused on his career and getting his **** together rather than ending up with some girl, getting married, then divorced. Or, being in a relationship that failed and held him back from what he truly wanted to do. Look at the divorce statistics before you go telling me that I'm bitter or I've been burned. At least he's being honest, unlike most people. People DO need relationships to feel validated. It's what people live for to make them happy. At least he's able to make himself happy without that "validation." I think many on here are just mad and deep down, they're the ones who are miserable because they can't do what this guy done. They're too busy worried about their spouse or significant other not liking them spending all their time bettering themselves and not enough time for them. They're taking care of kids that they "accidentally" had and didn't want. They can't up and do what they want to do and they wish they could. Instead, they're stuck in a relationship / marriage that sucks and they don't know how to leave because they "love " the person and they need to feel "loved" too. He poured beer on the woman, so what? He didn't hit her. And, he asked her to leave him alone. What else did SHE do to him? And, to be honest, if the shoe were on the other foot and a woman did that to a man, nobody would bat an eye.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
^ Old thread, back from the dead.

Pouring a pitcher of beer on a person can get you an assault charge. That’s the “so what.” You’re saying “at least he didn’t hit her” like he’s set some kind of bar for acceptable behavior. He assaulted a person. He could have been charged and maybe should have been.

As for his sentiments, I don’t think anyone objects to one pursuing their interests. If he’s not interested in a relationship but has a degree collecting hobby good for him. Swap out being a professional student and replace it outdoor enthusiast, a house full of model trains, or any other hobby you can conjur up and nobody should begrudge anyone else the pursuit of their interests. It isn’t that he’s not interested in relationships that had people balking back when this thread was current. It’s his belief that he’s over qualified. You can’t say that without inversely believing everyone else is not good enough for you. And you can’t believe that without being an arrogant a$$.

Get the validation you want in life from wherever you need to find it. Personally my marriage is the single greatest accomplishment in my life. This guy it’s all his degrees. Good for him. I’d never suggest someone pursue a relationship if they’re not interested. But if he truly believes he’s overqualified to be in one, despite all that education he’s still an idiot!

Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
He sounds narcissistic to me. Being "overqualified" because you have degrees makes no sense.

This just sounds like an excuse for him to justify his own lack of being able to establish or maintain a relationship, painting himself a victim of his own self proclaimed greatness.
Yes. He probably has very poor social skills and has no clue how to go about dating, let alone a relationship.

And if he is content with his status quo, that's really all that matters.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Over qualified? No, but a man can be too crazy for a relationship.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Probably just an excuse for not having any luck with the ladies and having zero game.
It’s not him.... it’s them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships