Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

A big part of marriage is growing old together. As attractive as you might be in your 20s and 30s, you won't look as good when you reach 50 or 60. Neither will your partner. So hopefully your relationship wasn't just built on physical attraction. But what happens when one of you ages faster than the other? Maybe you got sick, maybe you went through a stressful event, or maybe you just didn't take proper care of yourself. The reason I bring this up is because of a post I was reading on another forum where someone said women age faster than men. Personally, I don't believe that. But it did raise the issue of two people aging at different rates and how each of them copes with the growing disparity. I've seen men and women both get jealous and insecure because their significant other looked younger than them. The men might become more controlling. The women might sabotage their husbands' efforts to look young. How do you think you would react if you looked at your partner and saw someone who appeared 10, even 20 years older than you, but you were actually the same age?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
If I actually loved him, I don't think I would care, because I am assuming his personality was attractive enough to draw me in, so even if the looks faded, as long as he kept that personality I loved, I may be fine with it.

And who knows, maybe I would find his older look sexier lol you never know. Some people--though it may be rare--look better with age before they start to go down in maybe their 60s or 70s.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
This just sounds like something people who have never been married would think, people who don't know what marriage really means. The actual vows never mention hotness.

I mean, when I was 14 I SWORE I would never walk around in front of my future husband without makeup on because, well, I looked ugly.

That lasted about a day.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM

62 posts, read 121,808 times
In todays society people are very focused on the external rather than the internal (the heart) I look very young for my age, But If my better half was still around, I would Love Him unconditionally, he was 20 years older than I, but he was the most sexiest and handsome man I ever met, his charisma, intelligence, and those green eyes would make me so vulnerable! Those silver streaks flowing through his hair were extraordinaire, We believed in holding hands, slow dancing with candlelight and soft music, just because we loved one another that much. He would be in his early 70's about now! When two people sincerely love one another, their looks never change, because their love compliments each other wonderfully! Interesting and delightful topic!!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This just sounds like something people who have never been married would think, people who don't know what marriage really means. The actual vows never mention hotness.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I mean, when I was 14 I SWORE I would never walk around in front of my future husband without makeup on because, well, I looked ugly.

That lasted about a day.
Same here.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Married couples who have spent decades growing their marriage and their relationship generally are not jealous of each other's "looks" or judgemental towards each other's relative attractiveness. When you live your life with someone building a life together over decades, the relative importance of that stuff fades way into the background.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
But growing old is simply not about what someone looks like externally though. It is about what rate people experience things like arthritis, heart disease etc. At some point those sorts of things have more of an effect on how a couple grows old together than the external.

But I think physical aging is really variable. My husband and his siblings are all aging the same way. It is subtle, but their faces are becoming thinner...I'm not sure why this would be perceived differently for his sisters than it would be for the guys. Any amount of physical exercise my husband might do won't change how his face ages.

I don't know very many people where they are the same age but one looks 10 or 20 years younger, unless one of the parties really is not taking care of themselves, or one is prematurely grey.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM

62 posts, read 121,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Married couples who have spent decades growing their marriage and their relationship generally are not jealous of each other's "looks" or judgemental towards each other's relative attractiveness. When you live your life with someone building a life together over decades, the relative importance of that stuff fades way into the background.
Yep!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Hmmm I'm guessing you've never actually been in love.....
First off, I know couples who lasted 20+ years with significant age differences.
Looks fading didn't matter.
Good times, bad times, they stuck together--
Because love transcends the ego.
Love transcends age, time, space & reality.
True love, that is

Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Hmmm I'm guessing you've never actually been in love.....
First off, I know couples who lasted 20+ years with significant age differences.
Looks fading didn't matter.
Good times, bad times, they stuck together--
Because love transcends the ego.
Love transcends age, time, space & reality.
True love, that is
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships