Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:13 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
It is not that usual. Saying "I love you" after only a week is a little quick. I don't know how I would handle something like that.
Well, some might think having sex within the first week of meeting someone is a little quick, but they've already done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
It's actually really funny to read everyone's opinions because everyone is either 100% run away or 100% it's worth giving it a shot lol.

Either way, I talked to him about it last night and I feel a little better now. I sent him a paragraph basically saying that it freaked me out, that I do like him but that it's WAY too much too soon and is triggering my 'run away' instincts. He responded by saying that he realized as soon as he said it that I freaked out and that it was a bad idea. And basically told me he's never been in a situation before where he's had such strong feelings for someone so quickly. (And background context, I'm 3 years older than him). And he said that me being a little older than him was getting to his head and he started worrying that I would think he wasn't serious about getting to know me, etc because of his age. I do get it- had the roles been reversed I probably wouldn't have handled it that way. But I can respect the explanation he had- basically I think he thought it was what I wanted to hear somehow.

I think that the age difference, mixed with the fact that I am a little older, mixed with the fact that we DID pack a lot of things into one week just threw things off a little. I told him I need to slow things down and he said he completely understands- and to his credit he did back off quite a bit since our conversation. So I guess I'm going to give it a little more time. I think I'll see pretty quickly if this little chat helped reset things or if it's still a run away situation. Because I would hate to miss out on something great over something like this- as long as it doesn't continue on at crazy speed.
My husband and I had a weeklong date when we first me and we fell in love during that week. We didn't say it until after a few months, but we both felt it. If one of us had slipped and said it too early, I wonder if we would be together 18 years later?

I'm glad you talked with him.he sounds great, just slow it down.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescotturner View Post
because as a guy, he made a critical mistake. Everything can go great but if you make a critical mistake, then the girl will run.
Any girl that would just up and run at this, I wouldn't wish on any guy in the first place. So by all means, encourage them to run.

Quote:
He acted like a major beta, got all attached and used words like love within a week, and all of that is off putting to the OP.
Understood. That is the point of her starting a thread on it. However, there are oftentimes more than one solution to any given problem, and some solutions are better than others. My opinion: It's better for her to know he's just some awful loser of a guy (by getting to know him better) than to assume, be wrong, and miss out on something great... or just never really know for sure what that bridge she burned led to.

There are.... yellow flags, I submit. Ones that tell you "Proceed with caution". They're not all red flags telling you to stop altogether or there's danger ahead. The term "red flag" is being used too freely here, I think.

Quote:
A real alpha would basically not care about her, maybe date other women as well, which OP becomes confused and be attached to him.
Well some women actually prefer "betas", and some have even grown up enough to understand these labels have essentially no meaning in the first place.

Quote:
Women like games. If you confess your "love" this soon, you are a beta. A real alpha guy would continue to play games until deep into the relationship.
Hmmm, well I wasn't aware all women were the same; thank you for educating the board of this!

"Alphas" can still sense sarcasm, right?

Quote:
It's actually really funny to read everyone's opinions because everyone is either 100% run away or 100% it's worth giving it a shot lol.

Either way, I talked to him about it last night and I feel a little better now. I sent him a paragraph basically saying that it freaked me out, that I do like him but that it's WAY too much too soon and is triggering my 'run away' instincts. He responded by saying that he realized as soon as he said it that I freaked out and that it was a bad idea. And basically told me he's never been in a situation before where he's had such strong feelings for someone so quickly. (And background context, I'm 3 years older than him). And he said that me being a little older than him was getting to his head and he started worrying that I would think he wasn't serious about getting to know me, etc because of his age. I do get it- had the roles been reversed I probably wouldn't have handled it that way. But I can respect the explanation he had- basically I think he thought it was what I wanted to hear somehow.
Exactly. There is sometimes a very rational explanation, or at least the possibility that a rational person has simply done something irrational (It happens! No matter what the Mr. and Mrs. Perfects on this board are saying.)

Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times
Quote:

I think that the age difference, mixed with the fact that I am a little older, mixed with the fact that we DID pack a lot of things into one week just threw things off a little. I told him I need to slow things down and he said he completely understands- and to his credit he did back off quite a bit since our conversation. So I guess I'm going to give it a little more time. I think I'll see pretty quickly if this little chat helped reset things or if it's still a run away situation. Because I would hate to miss out on something great over something like this- as long as it doesn't continue on at crazy speed.
Good for you!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
The above quoted post all sounds good to me.

I especially like that you told him what you were feeling, and he empathised, and that you are going to continue to watch for red flags.

I read something a while back that said, in the early stages of a relationship, it's important to watch how the person reacts when you bring up something that bothered you. Specifically, is their response about them or about you?

Do they say, 'Oh, I didn't mean that!' or do they say, 'Oh, I can see how you could have felt that way!'? Going by your post, I am not quite sure which he did. Or maybe both?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Run

Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
I think it's pretty sad that it's perfectly normal and acceptable these days to have sex with someone and never speak to them again, but God forbid that the person you shared your body with expresses feelings for you afterwards. Now it's time to run.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I think it's pretty sad that it's perfectly normal and acceptable these days to have sex with someone and never speak to them again, but God forbid that the person you shared your body with expresses feelings for you afterwards. Now it's time to run.
Can't help but agree with you there

Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Uh, in love in a week?

Your point does not apply.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
Quote:

Well, thanks for essentially calling me a loose woman, lol.

Sex isn't something I take lightly. But it's also not something that I feel like I have to be in love with someone to do. I'm comfortable with my sexuality. I don't sleep around- if anything having sex this fast was an extraordinary circumstance for me. But in my mind at least, just because I choose to sleep with someone doesn't mean that I have to simply accept the fact that they tell me they love me right after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships