Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 PM

89 posts, read 140,190 times

Advertisements

So against my better judgement I took my gf to my parents dinner party. I though I could just keep her away from my parents by introducing her to my old friends. However, my mom was able to spot the one white person at the house and correctly deduced that she was my gf. My parents flipped out and now I'm no longer their son until I dump her and submit to an arranged marriage. For all intents and purposes I've been disowned because I have no intention of dumping her. I can live with it but my gf is pretty distraught over it and is asking me how she can get their approval. To make this night up to her I'm going to dedicate tomorrow to what she wants to do. But then what? I don't think she can let things go easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
So against my better judgement I took my gf to my parents dinner party. I though I could just keep her away from my parents by introducing her to my old friends. However, my mom was able to spot the one white person at the house and correctly deduced that she was my gf. My parents flipped out and now I'm no longer their son until I dump her and submit to an arranged marriage. For all intents and purposes I've been disowned because I have no intention of dumping her. I can live with it but my gf is pretty distraught over it and is asking me how she can get their approval. To make this night up to her I'm going to dedicate tomorrow to what she wants to do. But then what? I don't think she can let things go easily.
Is this for real?

Are you Asian or Muslim or something?

Help us to understand...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Is this for real?

Are you Asian or Muslim or something?
Indian but I ain't a muslim. My parents are against interracial dating.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Indian but I ain't a muslim. My parents are against interracial dating.
Okay, got nothing for you.

I know this kind of thing happens in some cultures, but for the most part not so much to Americans.

Best I can say is, since you now live in America try to be more American in your attitudes and develop some self respect.

Of course this might mean walking away from their financial support in order to be independent of them but that's what most of us here would do.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, got nothing for you.

I know this kind of thing happens in some cultures, but for the most part not so much to Americans.

Best I can say is, since you now live in America try to be more American in your attitudes and develop some self respect.

Of course this might mean walking away from their financial support in order to be independent of them but that's what most of us here would do.
I was born here. I am a self sufficient adult and my attitude IS American. Their finances mean nothing to me, all their assets are going to my brother when they die because he did everything right ( marry an Indian and pay them lip service) a sufficient portion of it also going to my sister's future dowry. As the 3rd of 4 kids I'm getting nothing.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
You don't like Indian chicks?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I was born here. I am a self sufficient adult and my attitude IS American. Their finances mean nothing to me, all their assets are going to my brother when they die because he did everything right ( marry an Indian and pay them lip service) a sufficient portion of it also going to my sister's future dowry. As the 3rd of 4 kids I'm getting nothing.
Okay great. Then their "disowning" you means nothing essentially.

If they really reject you so completely that they never speak to you again that's their choice I suppose (personally I do not understand or respect parents like that), but with parents like that you'd be better off making a new family for yourself.

Isn't it possible they just overreacted and threw out the "disowning you" thing just to manipulate your emotions? Perhaps in time they'll come to their senses.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
Quote:
Are you the black sheep of the family?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Did you tell your gf that your parents would most likely not approve of your relationship? You were advised to do so in your other thread.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Wow, what timing I'm sitting here watching, "Guess Whose Coming to Dinner." And reflecting on how some 30 years ago meeting my Jewish future in-laws and having my then fiancee meet my African American family... fortunately, our families had their heads screwed on well and while there were reservations there wasn't any drama.

I feel for you because this is a tough one.

I suppose it all depends on who you are actually most committed to, your girlfriend or your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships