Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I guess I just got lucky, when I was dating. Girl always had a more helpful/more accurate answer than "any time" for me.

But if I got an "any time", I'd be a smart ass and call at 2:30 AM.

I think I understand, they don't want to say a certain time period because it's no guarantee that she will be available because she is talking to more than one person. So she rather just say anytime for now until she talks to me and makes a connection over the phone.

Last edited by FBJ; 05-24-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,207,430 times
I would probably answer the same way if I was single and had my same jobs and interests. There are going to be times I'm working and I can talk for a while and there will be times I'm not at work and I definitely can't talk.

I'm not interested in having a block of time set aside in which I feel obligated to answer my phone.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,646,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
After I get their phone number I ask what is a "good time to call?" I am asking that question because they may work a different schedule than I do which can be 3pm to 11pm or have 2 jobs and go to school or volunteer in the evenings.

So rather than call and get the

1. Voicemail

or

2. "Can i give you a call back?

It would be nice to know what is the best time to call

Seems like every time I ask this question the answer I get is........."ANYTIME"?

You are overthinking this. Just call when you have time to chat and you are not multi-tasking.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM

5,196 posts, read 4,649,829 times
I really hate to be on of those CDers who assume too much from too little but are you on the autistic/asperger spectrum?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,734,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I would probably answer the same way if I was single and had my same jobs and interests. There are going to be times I'm working and I can talk for a while and there will be times I'm not at work and I definitely can't talk.

I'm not interested in having a block of time set aside in which I feel obligated to answer my phone.
Good point. I feel the same way. Even when I'm "available" (not at work, not at a doctor's appointment, not at the movies, not hanging out with a friend) I'm not always available to answer the phone.

A few days ago, I was making pie crust and wasn't really at a good point to stop what I was doing and answer the phone. My mom called about 6 times in a row. I finally stopped what I was doing, washed my hands, and called her back, thinking it must be an emergency. It wasn't. She just figured I was around and wanted to talk, and assumed that I hadn't answered the phone the first time(s) because must have been in the bathroom or something.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,592,818 times
ummm...they want a man who calls when HE wants and when HIS schedule allows, not when he is told to call. Get it?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
ummm...they want a man who calls when HE wants and when HIS schedule allows, not when he is told to call. Get it?
Yeah I got that from this statement the other night

"just call and if I don't pick up I am not available an just leave a message"

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 PM

44,318 posts, read 19,985,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
You are overthinking this. Just call when you have time to chat and you are not multi-tasking.
Good answer ^ .

And, of course, be considerate and don't call late at night.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yeah I got that from this statement the other night

"just call and if I don't pick up I am not available an just leave a message"
Exactly.

It depends on the day.

You got the number. Don't ruin the moment with extra questions.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM

13,610 posts, read 9,647,657 times
"Anytime" is a strategically noncommittal non-answer that maximizes the power of the person being called, and maximally constrains the potential caller. It connotes both a largeness of character that in principle accommodates communication, well, any time – if it's sufficiently important; and a busy life, where no one moment is any less precious than another. Effectively it means, "Your attention is interesting, to a point; but not substantially so. I reserve judgment in how to communicate with you further, if at all".

To me personally, "any time" is vapid and annoying. It screams with invitation to test the full measure of the term. Why not intentionally call at 3 am, to prove the point that "any time" belies itself? Why not call five times in a row, and then not call for a month? Instead, I much prefer specifics: "I go to bed at 2 am, but prefer silence between midnight and 2. Best for me is 9 pm through midnight, when I'll make reasonable effort to answer your call. But please don't take offense if the call defaults to voicemail. If the subject is truly important, call again. Otherwise I shall return your call on the following morning".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships