Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That’s right but also think about millionaires who are young and attractive and
in love who still marry someone who isn’t rich but still has her degree and
works just like your average Jane. She would still be lucky to marry that young
millionaire and have everything she ever dreamed of and would never be able to
afford.
Name 2.

You assume that having money is what makes people happy and fulfills their dreams. Although it makes life easier in many ways it is not what brings happiness.

Quote:
Let me repeat the question. How about a millionaire who marries IN LOVE, that
is, not just because of what he sees but because he is just simply in love and
wants to make her happy sharing his wealth and luxuries with her? Only to have
her ask for a divorce in a blink of an eye.
Well I could give a rats hairy behind about any millionaire and their relationship problems. Or who brings in the bacon and who doesn't.
But name 2.

Sorry, but having actually been divorced twice, it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye. It is a long painful process and is financially and emotionally draining on all involved (excluding attorneys) no matter how much you have.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-29-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where do you get you stats. According to census in marriages with an annual income of over 50,000 risk of divorce decreases by 30%.
There is a difference between a wealthy man, and a man who becomes wealthy in a short period of time. In case of the latter, the chance of his wife divorcing him increases at a decent rate. If I have time to find the source, ill gladly share it with you guys.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You forgot to mention premature heart attacks.
The feminization of men in this present era is disheartening.

My father and my grandfather were both extremely hard workers. Father lasted to his early eighties and grandfather lasted to his late eighties. So hard work does not necessarily harm a man. And they didn't have desk jobs, choice food to eat and Grade A healthcare. And they didn't consider themselves abused. They believed the opportunity to work was a blessing and a privilege.

I think I might know what all this "poor slaving married man" ruckus is about. Men who work hard and take excellent care of their wives...are they making the slackers look bad? That must be it! Don't hate on the millionaires. Step up and do what it takes to become one!

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
There is a difference between a wealthy man, and a man who becomes wealthy in a short period of time. In case of the latter, the chance of his wife divorcing him increases at a decent rate. If I have time to find the source, ill gladly share it with you guys.
It would be an interesting read. Its seem logical that if your spouse starts earning the big buck after your marriage it would be to your advantage to stay married. Divorce decreases both parties wealth.

As to the women of leisure referenced by the OP, if they divorced their husbands that lifestyle would decrease drastically. Even with a percentage of the assets and alimony payments they will take a hit.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
How about focusing on normal regular people instead of a very small minority then using them as a prime example?
Because this thread is talking about rich people, isn't it?
Quote:
Especially considering rich people generally marry other rich people. Your sample size you are parading around is minuscule.
Nope. Rich men marrying someone who comes from a lower economic status is normal. Facebook founder married a pediatrician or one who is aiming at that. Bill Gates married his employee (product manager). Michael Jordan married a former model who now (divorced) works in real state. Professional athletes do it all the time: Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Mike Tyson, etc. just to name a few. Paul McCartney married a former model. J Howard Marshal marries Anne Nicole Smith. Russel Simmons marries an average woman who ends up taking a step up as well and now thanks to that marriage (and divorce) took over Def Jam and started another business thanks to her marriage. The list can go on and on. Of course, there is a wealthy woman here and there that comes to mind that is dating someone below her economic level like Jennifer Lopez but just look around most major company’s founders and see where their wife came from. Sure, many of them are not necessarily dirt poor who came from the ghetto. Some of them went to big name colleges and had something going on with their lives. Men (millionaire or not) interested in women below their economic level is common. Not as common as the other way around.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why the OP has such contempt for them, I really do not understand.
Because he's made them up in his/her head?

It's been my experience when I do run across "women of leisure", they are older and have raised kids, and their husbands are near retirement age or as you said, semi retired. Still, doing charity work (typically serving on non profit boards and fundraising) is a very popular pastime even among the wealthy. there are actually very few folks out there that live a life of pure leisure without doing something productive with part of their time.

Last edited by Tinawina; 05-29-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Please. One doesn't need a seven-figure income to have a stay-at-home-spouse, even one who plays tennis and has a weekly manicure.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Its my impression the OP was talking about wealthier people not necessarily lower middle class or the very rich and famous people you give as examples. If it is true that the OP is a young college grad then rich(ish) to her I would think would be much, much lower scale than Bill Gates, who is probably the only good example of a rich marrying someone of lower economic standing out of love and compatibility. Bryant married a high school sweetheart before he made all that money and Zuckerburg was dating his now wife before he made all that money. The athletes and celebs well they are know to marry young eye candy.

Even these guys wives are not sitting around doing nothing. They are either active in charities or pursuing their own careers. Do people really expect wives of billionaires to continue their jobs as waitresses or models or product managers?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Bringing up millionaires and their wives makes me think of another side of the story. I wonder if there are any males who sit home and live the life of leisure while their millionaire wives bring home the paycheck? Dolly Parton has been married for decades and she is worth millions. She and her spouse have no kids. I wonder if he sits home all day and watches TV. What do the husbands do all day who are married to million dollar women like Sarah Blakely who invented Spanx, Meg Whitman formerly head of Ebay, Giuliana Benetton founder of a clothing empire, Doris Fisher also founder of a clothing chain, the Gap and Dani Johnson who went from living on the streets to becoming a financial advisor who has written numerous books on how to get out of debt, become wealthy and has been interviewed on countless TV shows.

There are women who are movie stars who make a lot of money not just with acting but with smart investments and there have always been women moguls in the cosmetic industry who were tycoons. These women have often supported men or at least according to the tabloids.

The husbands of these women probably work but we don't know that. Maybe they stay home with the kids. Maybe they stay home and do nothing. Certainly these women can afford help. But to say that their husbands stay home and "live a life of leisure" is taking as much for granted as to say that all wives of wealthy husbands stay home and live a life of leisure.

The point is, the OP stated a premise about women living off men she wanted people to agree with that is as thin as tissue paper in a windstorm. In one of her posts on another forum I found, she talked about a pretty cousin of hers who isn't interested in higher education but just wants to get married and have kids. That's not the same as simply staying home and being taken care of with no responsibilities.

I think the OP is confused on this subject. It could be a man who lives off a woman who has the greater earning power. It certainly isn't the norm, but it is possible. It all goes back to whatever the couple's financial situation and their arrangement on how they decide to live.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
If she is in the 40's and 50's ( which is way past the expiration date one could only assume ), and their are no kids, then you married for love. Homemakers job is to use the husbands salary ( meaning the husband hands over the salary, and the leftover is given back, to him for his toys and needs ) and make the home livable.

Usually if she is up in her years, and have no kids, no previous marriage then she is married to him for companionship. My Uncle ( who had kids ) married a woman after he separated, bottom line people do not want to be alone. Some people are old fashioned and needs something to fill that void in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships