Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:04 AM

11,783 posts, read 12,017,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Someone close to me has a brother who's married and he's married to someone who doesn't work. He wins the bread and she stays home with the kids. I didnt know this until recently when i asked "what does she do for a living" and the answer was nothing.

And,he's not rich.

But, you know, that's on him for permitting it.
Oh, she needs his permission to stay home and raise their kids, which involves no effort whatsoever? They couldn't have possibly decided as a couple that her raising and caring for the kids was a better option than going to work just for the privilege of paying a stranger to do it?

Too bad you don't understand the concept that work isn't solely based on generating a paycheck. Tell that to the millions of volunteers who give freely of their time so you can enjoy the benefits of their hard work at no effort, cost, time and energy to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Someone close to me has a brother who's married and he's married to someone who doesn't work. He wins the bread and she stays home with the kids. I didnt know this until recently when i asked "what does she do for a living" and the answer was nothing.

And,he's not rich.

Surely you can't be this clueless. Staying home with the kids is a job in and of itself. When our three children were small, my wife stayed home with them. Life was much easier that way.

What's more, you don't seem to understand the cost of going to work for most. Have a couple of kids in day care, the cost of commuting, etc., and the costs start to run up. Until you're earning north of $60K, you're essentially working to pay for the cost of working.

One more thing. You must not be married, or the word 'permitted' would not be used in the same sentence as dealing with your wife.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,712,034 times
It really doesn't matter. I would not leech off of my husband simply because I want to use my own money, but some husbands basically don't care or not whether the wife works or not.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,205,351 times
Why the hate? If the guys accept it or even encourage it, then why bash it?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
It never ceases to amaze me how effectively the internet reveals the ugliness that hides in the human psyche.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM

36,458 posts, read 30,806,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Aka "Housewives." What do you think of these type of women? I personally find it selfish and unbalanced and would NEVER stand for it in a relationship. By this I AM NOT referring to stay at home moms-women who have chosen to opt out to raise kids- which I think is rather commendable if feasible and both spouses have reached an accord. I'm referring to women who either have no kids OR more commonly empty nesters usually in their 40's or 50's who are still healthy and employable but choose not to re enter the work-force even part time and instead pursue a leisurely lifestyle such as shopping and spa trips, yoga/zumba, luncheons with friends, etc ON THEIR hard working husband's dime. Anyone else find this behavior despicable at worst, LAZY and manipulative at best. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership.

Why should a man have to slave away 40+ (often 50-60 hours a week) and deal with co-workers, office politics, or hard physical work depending on his profession while his wife gets to call her own shots all day and do as she pleases (even if the activities she's doing don't involve a lot of money such as going for walks,hikes, library,etc). It still seems incongruent in a marriage unless as said earlier, she has young kids she's rearing which is a totally different entity in and of itself.

Thoughts?
I don't know any like that. The few empty nesters I know that stay at home and no longer work outside the home, work inside the home. None spend their time shopping, at spas, the gym or luncheons. They are usually doing the garden and canning, cleaning, laundry, have supper for their husbands, take care of all the errands and pets, do volunteer work at the church and/or other organization or have hobbies that bring in some $.

But what other couples do is none of my business.

Personally, I would not support a mate that did nothing. Having been a single parent, having to hold down a full time job, do all the domestic and yard work and care for kids I do realize how beneficial a true partner would be just to stay home and take care of everything while all I had to do would be go to work and bring in a pay check. Even now I could benefit from a domestic partner but the problem is ya cant find a man that actually understands what a real "housewife" actually does all day and I'm not ready to change teams.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Aka "Housewives." What do you think of these type of women? I personally find it selfish and unbalanced and would NEVER stand for it in a relationship. By this I AM NOT referring to stay at home moms-women who have chosen to opt out to raise kids- which I think is rather commendable if feasible and both spouses have reached an accord. I'm referring to women who either have no kids OR more commonly empty nesters usually in their 40's or 50's who are still healthy and employable but choose not to re enter the work-force even part time and instead pursue a leisurely lifestyle such as shopping and spa trips, yoga/zumba, luncheons with friends, etc ON THEIR hard working husband's dime. Anyone else find this behavior despicable at worst, LAZY and manipulative at best. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership.

Why should a man have to slave away 40+ (often 50-60 hours a week) and deal with co-workers, office politics, or hard physical work depending on his profession while his wife gets to call her own shots all day and do as she pleases (even if the activities she's doing don't involve a lot of money such as going for walks,hikes, library,etc). It still seems incongruent in a marriage unless as said earlier, she has young kids she's rearing which is a totally different entity in and of itself.

Thoughts?
After we left the house, my father continued working and my mother stayed at home. She continued to deal with their finances, real estate, home maintenance, made fresh, homecooked meals every day, cleaned, ran errands, and generally made it so that when he was home, he didn't have to lift a finger to do a damn thing.

How is that selfish and unbalanced exactly?

Now that he is retired, she still does all that and he does *nothing*. Hmmmm...

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:

And,he's not rich.

It's called division of labor.

Who do you suggest keep the home and raise the children?

Btw, one day doing my wife's job and you'd be begging for mercy.
Posts like this make me livid.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times
Quote:

And,he's not rich.

"Permitting it?" Do you have any idea how much it would cost him to raise his kids if she didn't stay home to take care of them? Trust me, it would cost a lot. Nannies and full time babysitters don't come cheap. Unless your friend quit his job to stay home to take care of the children while his wife went to work, her staying home with them would be the logical choice if he didn't want to hire a professional child care person. Someone would have to.

So maybe it would cost a lot more to hire someone than your friend's brother's wife would earn outside the home. That is often the case with women's earning capabilities still being less than most men's. Have you ever tried to wrap your brain around that? If she is taking care of their kids, she is not living a life of leisure by any means.

If a man wants to have children, he has to think about their care and who is going to give that care. If he cannot afford to have someone take care of them; the mother, himself or a professional caretaker he has no business having kids. Maybe your friend's brother figured out the best solution for his situation was to have his wife stay home and take care of their children.

Maybe if you are so concerned about your friend's brother's personal life choices you should ask him sometime about his agreement with his wife. Saying he "permits" her to stay home to take care of the children for whom he is fifty percent responsible for bringing into this world sounds as if she were his employee not a partner in raising those children.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM

30,957 posts, read 22,026,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
After we left the house, my father continued working and my mother stayed at home. She continued to deal with their finances, real estate, home maintenance, made fresh, homecooked meals every day, cleaned, ran errands, and generally made it so that when he was home, he didn't have to lift a finger to do a damn thing.

How is that selfish and unbalanced exactly?

Now that he is retired, she still does all that and he does *nothing*. Hmmmm...
Would she be happy doing "nothing"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships