Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:15 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, I typed up a generic profile based on what I constantly see in women's profiles. A handful of women PM'd me to tell me that it basically mirrored their own profiles.

Here it was...
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
This came up before, but I the list of things I
wanted to add was so long, I just decided to create an entire profile. Men, be
warned this is gonna look REALLY familiar. I used OKC as a template, and I
swear that this entire thing came up off the top of my head, but as I went
through, you'll see how much is recognizable...

Pictures: Five pictures all taken from an
upward angle. Possibly one duckface (if under 30), one with cleavage, one with
alcohol, one with friends and alcohol, and one in an outdoor
location.

My self –summary

I tend to be pretty shy, but once you get to know me,
I’m an open book! I’m really laid back, drama-free (and you should be, too!)
and love to have a good time. I’m a jeans and t shirt kinda girl, but I’m just
as comfortable in a dress and heels! I love to laugh, have fun, and
travel!

What I’m doing with my life

I’m currently in school to be a xyz (unless they have
achild, then it’s “Being a mom!”)

I’m really good at

Being sarcastic

The first things people usually notice about
me

My eyes and smile (unless they’re really well-endowed up
top, then it’s “I want to say my eyes or my smile, but if I’m being honest, it’s
my chest”)

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and
food

Food: Yes, please!

Music: I tend to listen to all kinds of music, except
rap and metal

Books: (Comes in 2 flavors. Either
modern/popular….Song of Ice and Fire Series, Hunger Games, Dan Brown, etc……or
“Pretentious list of books I’ve never read”)

Movies: Everything except horror.

The six things I could never do
without

Air

Water

Family

My child/pet if they have one

Love

My iPhone

I spend a lot of time thinking
about

The future.

On a typical Friday night, I
am:

No Friday night is typical for me! I could be out with
friends, or snuggling at home with a glass of wine and a good book!

The most private thing I’m willing to
admit:

Well if I told you, then it wouldn’t be
private!

I’m looking for:

45, then it's (her age -10) - (her age +10)

Height: (her height) –no maximum

Near me

Who are single

For new friends, long term dating

You should message me if

You should NOT message me if:

You’re just looking to hook up. There are other
websites for that sort of thing.

You like drama

You’re a liar

You still live at home

You use text speak

Your first message just says “hey”

Some oddities that I've noticed:

I see the phrase "I tend to" a LOT.

Almost all women seem to be in school. Even if they're
35-40. In school. Does nobody work?

A lot of the stereotypes that I put in here aren't
necessarily "bad", they're just on EVERY profile.

I'm aware that guys do a TON of this stuff too...but I
don't come across their profiles as much, obviously. I'd LOVE to see an
opposite-gender version of the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie071tone View Post
All I ever read is "I'm laid back, easy going, like trying new things, looking for no drama, looking for someone who is spontaneous etc". That's fairly simple....then why y'all single? Maybe you're picky or not as easy going as you say. I'm sure there are a great deal of women who can fit the above bill.

What they actually mean is "I am lazy, don't listen, no ambitions in life, show up 2 hours late to dates, want a hot mama even though that usually equals drama, and no trouble when I spend more time with my buddies than with you".

And of course she needs to be at least a 9.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Because it is the truth.

You cannot truly tell if a person is boring based off of a few words on their profile.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Because it is the truth.

You cannot truly tell if a person is boring based off of a few words on their profile.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Yes, I agree that if a guy has a very short description on his profile could be anything.

But I can honestly say that I have so much OLD experience by now that pretty much every guy who writes half a novel about himself and his expectations, is a weirdo. Either completely nuts or self absorved or just an idiot.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM

432 posts, read 491,485 times
Quote:
A few months ago, I typed up a generic profile based on what I constantly see in women's profiles. A handful of women PM'd me to tell me that it basically mirrored their own profiles.

Here it was...
Spoiler

LMAO! That is so spot-on, it's not even funny. "Everything except rap and metal." I'm in stitches here. You KNOW they love avant free jazz, amirite?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
LMAO! That is so spot-on, it's not even funny. "Everything except rap and metal." I'm in stitches here. You KNOW they love avant free jazz, amirite?
I'm glad someone got a kick out of it It actually kinda bummed me out when I initially typed it out.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
But I can honestly say that I have so much OLD experience by now that pretty much every guy who writes half a novel about himself and his expectations, is a weirdo. Either completely nuts or self absorved or just an idiot.
That describes me perfectly!

From the "what I'm doing with my life" section of my recently revised profile:

"Most of my efforts are directed at eliding self-referential remarks. Many of my efforts fail. A standard maxim: “most things aren’t worth doing”. How to select those few things that are worthwhile? Engage in any, and there's the opportunity cost of things not done. We live in a capitalist world. A enters into transaction with B, mutually volitional, mutually beneficial – assuming that information is equally known (hah!). Some deep thinkers regard that as freedom. Others aim for higher freedoms, dismissing the former as tawdry and vain. Historically, the two have had a grand time killing each other. In modern America, they collaborate, not entirely symbiotically, but at least with uneasy peace. The best scheme for understanding that, is a kind of passive acceptance. Some opportunity-costs are cheap compared to the dearness of the thing being done. And it takes time to realize that - time spent, ostensibly, doing nothing. In a prior iteration, I wrote that the best stance is a kind of strategic idleness. This is wrong. Idleness inures us, shunting aside the senses - a grievous loss! Instead I struggle to harness ambition just enough, to motivate the striving so essential to the American ethos, but not too much. For too much striving enervates the self, and comes to possess what's no longer worth possessing."

The point? I'm a weirdo looking for a weirdo. Non-weirdos already have plenty of choices. Weirdos of hte world, unite!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 AM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:

Here it was...
Spoiler

That is a horrifyingly, shockingly, disappointingly accurate reproduction of 90% of women's profiles.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
If I looked within my age range on PoF I'd find a lot of boring profiles, but the older gentleman often had something interesting to read.

On OKC it was different due to their matching system. So I was matched with a lot of men with good or decent profiles. I prefer longer and more detailed profiles, as this helps me get a sense of their communication skills -- how well they communicate and their diction and wit and cleverness. I also had it set to only show profiles within a certain age bracket, and this helped tremendously. Those were who my type had fun, clever and interesting profiles, and it showed.

My husband's profile was great, and even longer than mine, and that's saying a lot considering mine was practically a dissertation of awesomeness.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:

Here it was...
Spoiler

Hey now. Not every profile. Mine was filled with tons of Awesome, and much of it poking fun at dating profile cliches. Plus, it was multi-media enhanced! I did, however, have caveats, and one of them was about grammar and text speak. It had to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships