Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM

663 posts, read 775,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

See, that's when I report the profile.

Something like that happened to me years ago, where a guy too far away kept writing to me on what was then Yahoo personals. I specifically stated that I didn't have a car and was looking for someone close to D.C. He got bent that I ignored him, so I sent him a canned "no thank you, we live too far apart." He wrote back that he had a car, he could make the trip in 30 minutes, and that I needed to "grow a brain."

My response to him was, "I see by your nasty, verbally abusive reaction that I made the right choice in rejecting you." Send, report, block.
lol you need to loosen up. Telling you to grow a brain is verbally abusive? lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,344,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They make it fairly public (the how), it is really all in the "how important" the answer is portion of the answering. Saying something is mandatory is 25x more heavily weighted than just saying it is important, for example. And, as importantly, and this is what I think screws some of the percentages up a little, is if you answered the question but they didn't, it isn't included in the calculation. So if I say kids are a deal breaker, but they have two kids and didn't answer the question, it doesn't factor in the %.
Yep.

All of my high matches were compatible in most of the major areas -- religion, politics, social issues, sex, and some times dating/relationships. The iffy "high" matches where the percentage was high but we weren't actually compatible were those who only answered, say, <200 questions. Which is why I preferred profiles that showed a lot of questions were answered, and a variety, because it makes for a better assessment of compatibility.

Many questions relating to politics, religion and social issues I set the priority/importance to "high" or mandatory. I always went through the answers to the importance sections. I was never matched with religious or conservative people.

As for the kids question, I always went to the dating questions first to see if they answered the "Would you date someone who had children from a previous relationship?" question. If they answered no then I wouldn't bother looking at anything else. Since a lot of my matches were divorced men or divorced men with young children a good portion of them answered yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Reading My Most Ridiculous OKCupid Messages - YouTube

I think she irritated me more than the messages she received!
She annoyed me from the get go. Asinine messages are a given no matter what. I received plenty when I used PoF, and some here and there on OKC. No, they didn't sweep me off my feet, but I wasn't offended by them. Most times I would just laugh. More often than not I got a lot of "Do you know who you resemble?" messages. Nope. Please tell me.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:03 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,517,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Reading My Most Ridiculous OKCupid Messages - YouTube

I think she irritated me more than the messages she received!
Yep, I think she perfectly illustrated all the qualities I find unattractive in many of today's mid-twenties to early-thirties women complete with the annoying vocal fryyyuhhhhh.

I wish her quick success if anything just to get her off the market.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,437,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yep, I think she perfectly illustrated all the qualities I find unattractive in many of today's mid-twenties to early-thirties women complete with the annoying vocal fryyyuhhhhh.
I noticed she refers to it as an app and says she thinks it's also a website you can use on your desktop. Makes me wonder how many people view it only as an app and don't take it seriously as a result?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 PM

130 posts, read 111,417 times
Today someone of Ok Cupid ask me for money to buy for me(he said he was trying to help) an air tkt, lol. Poor boy i know my english isnt the best but my brain works fine.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:06 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,415,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
lol you need to loosen up. Telling you to grow a brain is verbally abusive? lol...
It may not be verbally abusive, but it's certainly rude, immature, and obnoxious. Kind of like telling someone they need to loosen up.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 PM

I had a death in the family which took me out of town and for the most part offline for a few days. I'd been thinking about taking a break from OKC even though it's only been 2 months and this provided an opportunity to do so. I think I'll (try to) stay on break for awhile.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 PM

377 posts, read 531,387 times
okcupid for men is best used by writing a great profile, and answer questions truthfully, not the way you think your dream girl will want to hear it...A very attractive, clear photo, where you look like you are having fun...set the bait, and start trolling. If you are the first to approach, you will be writing a lot of emails, and remember, the best ones aren't copied and pasted. You have to taylor it to the person. And getting few replies. Unfortunately, for men, I think you will have better results if you just wait for the women to contact you. These sites have women outnumbering men by huge margins. Becauise men like to hook up, a lopsided number of fluffy women who insist on fit men, lurk there. I wouldn't spend too much time on those sites, POF is the same, but more of a hook up site. If you have the means, and you want a hookup, casual thing, do the sugar daddy gig. If you want a relationship, Match is better, even though there are just as high of men to women, the sheer numbers of women with memberships, gives you more opportunity. If you place a profile on POF, OKC, Seeking Arraangements, and zoosk, you can be a rather busy guy! It's a straight numbers game, oh it's important, to just start a new profile every quarter, get new pictures, and re market yourself.

What to look out for online guys....
The top down picture of a cleavage....that will mean she is large....if you are into it, then go for it
Anybody who just has pictures that are boob focused....
If it looks like someone scanned a pic then you can expect to add many years to the one she put down
if you are looking for someone under thirty, you are going to get pretty accurate ages. If she is 30-40 some will be truthful, but many will subtract 5-7 years, depends on ethnic background....some asians will subtract 10 years.

I know it's harsh, but if I see another overweight... has no intentions on dieting or exercising, yet wants a chiseled guy who is tall , dark, and handsome, I will vomit. It wouldn't even happen in a face to face setting. I mean shoot for the moon, but keep it in the solar system

My advise is to be as truthful as you can be, because eventually you will meet, and the worst feeling in the world, is when you meet and the other person, does a double take...Worst POF moment of awkwardness......I walk into starbucks, and Im looking for the girl, I walk to the back and then back up front. I see a girl who looks like my date, but she is way heavier than the girl in the picture. It's kind of weird approaching someone, and asking if that is them, holding up a smart phone with her profile on your browser. Instead of doing that, I went outside, got into my car, and texted her, that I didn't see her. She texts back and says, that she saw me, and that she thought I was walking over. She was texting as she walked out of that place. As I back out, she kind of yells at me, asking whats wrong, why am I leaving.....I tell her that she misrepresented herself, and I was out...she says something back, like that is a recent picture, What? like 10 years ago recent, it was probably taken with a throw away 35 mm bought out of a vending machine......so I tell her "I wanted to date the girl in the picture, not the person who ate her!" and took off.....be careful out there, its not for the weak of stomach!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Misrepresentation goes both ways. The majority of the profiles I have looked at have a date stamped picture from 2010 or 2009 as the most recent. Makes me wonder what they're hiding.

I did meet someone whose most recent picture is from 2009 and I thought he was more attractive now than he was then. However, his profile also states he's 5'7" and he was not quite 5'4" as that's how tall I am and he was shorter than me (I wasn't wearing heels either). My guess is this is the most common misrepresentation from the men. Personally, I don't mind dating a man who is shorter than average-late hubby was 5'5"-but in this case, his height was a bit of a turnoff. If I choose to wear heels, I don't want to tower over my partner.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,793,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Misrepresentation goes both ways. The majority of the profiles I have looked at have a date stamped picture from 2010 or 2009 as the most recent. Makes me wonder what they're hiding.

I did meet someone whose most recent picture is from 2009 and I thought he was more attractive now than he was then. However, his profile also states he's 5'7" and he was not quite 5'4" as that's how tall I am and he was shorter than me (I wasn't wearing heels either). My guess is this is the most common misrepresentation from the men. Personally, I don't mind dating a man who is shorter than average-late hubby was 5'5"-but in this case, his height was a bit of a turnoff. If I choose to wear heels, I don't want to tower over my partner.

I wonder if I should include a JPEG of my physical that has my height on it... LOL.

Pictures is always a tough one for me. Nothing to hide, they're just rarely taken. Once or twice a year generally and then I'm usually doing some sort of outing with a group and filthy/unshaven/holding a critter (snake, etc). Nothing looks worse to me than a self taken posed snapshot, or even a snapshot taken by a friend. They're just so corny. I think women tend to be more the types to take pics of each other when they're out on the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships