Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM

103 posts, read 100,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm glad to hear that you are deciding to take it slowly.

Perhaps, you will still be together a year from now or perhaps not, but at least you are not rushing into something.

PS. My husband and I really, really liked all of our daughter's boyfriends but we would have been extremely angry with her and would have completely cut her off financially (no co-signing her student loans, no paying for car insurance on our family policy, no keeping her on our family cell phone plan, etc.) if she decided to live with a BF at age 19 (or 20 or 22 or until she had graduated and was totally self-supporting or married).

So I hope that you are not just "assuming" that her parents would be happy about their daughter living with her BF when she is in college, even if they "like" him. A lot (not all, but a lot) of parents do not want their young adult daughters living with BFs (for the reasons that people listed earlier in this thread).
Think it would be a good idea to ask her parents if its ok that I move in with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
Think it would be a good idea to ask her parents if its ok that I move in with her?
No i dont think that would be a good idea. I would not be ok with that unless you were married.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 AM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
You already know what their answer will be and the reaction to that question, I just think you enjoy giving them grief over this young lady since they don't approve of her. And its like you are rubbing it in their face every chance you get. You brought your girlfriend into the picture by bringing her home for a week. Your parents didn't necessary have to know anything about her this early on in your relationship with her, you didn't have to be bringing her up at all around them. That part of your social life you could have kept to yourself until you know how things are going to work out, but too late for that now.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You already know what their answer will be and the reaction to that question, I just think you enjoy giving them grief over this young lady since they don't approve of her. And its like you are rubbing it in their face every chance you get. You brought your girlfriend into the picture by bringing her home for a week. Your parents didn't necessary have to know anything about her this early on in your relationship with her, you didn't have to be bringing her up at all around them. That part of your social life you could have kept to yourself until you know how things are going to work out, but too late for that now.
He meant her parents. In that case the answer is a definite no. She can speak for herself.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
He meant her parents. In that case the answer is a definite no. She can speak for herself.
Your GF needs to discuss it with her parents.

Frankly, if a boyfriend of our daughter asked us directly for permission to move in with her I suspect that for the first time in his 62 years my husband would probably punch someone (the boy) in the nose!

Do you think that it would it be appropriate your GF to say to your parents "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, your son is a real sex manic in bed and I want to have him available to me at all times of the day & night, so is it OK if we move in together?" (that is exactly what her parents would "hear" if you asked them the question).

You must be pretty naïve to even think that asking her parents to move in together (openly have sex with their daughter) is in any way appropriate. It is because of questions like this that posters are trying to tell you that you don't have enough life experiences to understand that this relationship is (95% probability) infatuation and not love.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Yes! Do it!

Then you will have a tiny clue of what your GF is experiencing with your parents. LOL

Grow up, kid. Focus on school. You have no idea what you're doing. And that's ok.

Jesus Christ, if I stop and think about the boys I was "in loooooooove" with in college, and what my life would be like if I was still with any one of them today ....

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Well, looks like I’ll be heading to Brooklyn in late July !!! I’ve got money all organized for tickets and stuff. She asked her parents they said yes. I asked mine, they seemed irked but they agreed too. All that’s left to do is buy them.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:04 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,362 times
Your parents gave their adult son permission to visit his girlfriend. That's really wonderful.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Well, looks like I’ll be heading to Brooklyn in late July !!! I’ve got money all organized for tickets and stuff. She asked her parents they said yes. I asked mine, they seemed irked but they agreed too. All that’s left to do is buy them.
Since the two of you are "in love" be sure to tell her parents that you insist on sleeping in the same bed while you are visiting.

---------

Obviously, I am joking.

Please don't ask to sleep in the same bedroom. I hope that everything works out well and you have fun during your visit.

I wonder if her parents will swear all the time?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Since the two of you are "in love" be sure to tell her parents that you insist on sleeping in the same bed while you are visiting.

---------

Obviously, I am joking.

Please don't ask to sleep in the same bedroom. I hope that everything works out well and you have fun during your visit.

I wonder if her parents will swear all the time?
No same bed, I'll be on the couch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships