Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times

Advertisements

I know my generation brought the F word into everyday conversations. Thank you Country Joe and the Fish. I am surprised at how many women today, even business women, are using it like an ordinary noun, verb or adj. My ears still turn red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 04:17 PM

672 posts, read 2,124,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
women should be able to speak exactly the way that men do, i.o.p. I think its a free speech thing, and generally swearing is more accepted now than in the past. Yay

Well, it probably is a free speech thing to a certain extent. But us folks who don't care for filthy language have a right to not have to hear it either. And I can promise anybody anywhere that I would have no problem telling people to leave, if they started that junk in my house. I have said bad words before, and probably will again sometime. But I am decent enough to try and watch my mouth around other people. For those who don't know, thats called showing RESPECT for other people.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well, it probably is a free speech thing to a certain extent. But us folks who don't care for filthy language have a right to not have to hear it either. And I can promise anybody anywhere that I would have no problem telling people to leave, if they started that junk in my house. I have said bad words before, and probably will again sometime. But I am decent enough to try and watch my mouth around other people. For those who don't know, thats called showing RESPECT for other people.
And that's the crux of the argument. Thank You.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I know my generation brought the F word into everyday conversations. Thank you Country Joe and the Fish. I am surprised at how many women today, even business women, are using it like an ordinary noun, verb or adj. My ears still turn red.
Yeah and then Wal Mart came along and stole the "Fish" song. Ever in Wal Mart during their warm up meetings? "Give me a W..."

Old 12-14-2007, 04:31 PM

302 posts, read 921,901 times
I think the better question would be....why so much profanity period? I personally don't enjoy hearing anyone curse 5 times in one sentence, doesn't matter if the voice in question is male or female.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Yeah and then Wal Mart came along and stole the "Fish" song. Ever in Wal Mart during their warm up meetings? "Give me a W..."
have you read "nickled and dimed"? they talk about the stupid goings ons at walmart with the w-a-l.......... cheering. sickening!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,607,835 times
Great posts and insights, thanks, I knew I wasnt alone on this. It is RESPECT, I agree,for myself and others. (Whatever happened to ol Country Joe anyway ?)

Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
women should be able to speak exactly the way that men do, i.o.p. I think its a free speech thing, and generally swearing is more accepted now than in the past. Yay
I don't think men should be using it around women either. It's just disrespectful. But a woman is the symbol of femininity which to me doesn't equate to traits like swearing, spitting on the sidewalk, and so forth.

Maybe its the diminishing of the feminine quality that plagues women now, the need to not only be equal to men, given the same rights, but also to act, talk, and look like men. It's a shame IMO.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,607,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
In Europe, British women are among the worst. It really can make a physically attractive women seem less desirable.
Yes, I agree it does, and also makes them appear uneducated.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgurl View Post
I think the better question would be....why so much profanity period? I personally don't enjoy hearing anyone curse 5 times in one sentence, doesn't matter if the voice in question is male or female.
I agree. It's not necessary and is a big turn-off whenever its done. So why do you think it's so pervasive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships