Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Really? Even if one person is carrying massive debt or has bad credit? That's not building a solid foundation. That's just saddling another person with your financial woes.
Depends on what the debt is from.

If someone has debt from attending medical school one would view that debt differently.

I don't think everyone who has a bad credit score stays in that rut forever though...but each person has to evaluate that risk for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Really? Even if one person is carrying massive debt or has bad credit? That's not building a solid foundation. That's just saddling another person with your financial woes.
See, this is what some guys just can't seem to appreciate from the outside looking in, a good relationship/marriage is priceless - worth more than all the gold or precious gems in the world.

To answer your question...If one or both of the people in a good marriage has debt they can usually pay if off twice as quickly than if they were all alone.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
Quote:
Think like me? Where did I say I'm looking for a partner who adds something to my life? The issue is whether you or the other person potentially makes the other person's financial position worse and whether that's a valid reason to hold off on getting married. If I had $100,000 in debt I was still paying off, I would completely understand a woman holding that against me. That's not to say debt is a character flaw. People have debt for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with their character. But since marriage is about joining two people's lives, then it makes perfect sense to factor in each person's financial state.
Debt is bad, there's no doubt about it... but there's a difference between being low income/poor and being in debt.

You can be low income, debt-free, live within your means, and be completely happy together. If you're creative and motivated, you can make anything work.

I really don't think it's psychologically healthy to put economics before basic human relations.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Debt is bad, there's no doubt about it... but there's a difference between being low income/poor and being in debt.

You can be low income, debt-free, live within your means, and be completely happy together. If you're creative and motivated, you can make anything work.

I really don't think it's psychologically healthy to put economics before basic human relations.
THIS.

THANK YOU!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:

May not be psychologically healthy but it is Russian Roulette to not include economics as a very important factor as to what you do with LTRs. I work in finance and I see the consequences of people not taking finances into consideration before partnering off every day.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
See, this is what some guys just can't seem to appreciate from the outside looking in, a good relationship/marriage is priceless - worth more than all the gold or precious gems in the world.

To answer your question...If one or both of the people in a good marriage has debt they can usually pay if off twice as quickly than if they were all alone.
Is it fair to expect your partner to work hard at their job in order to pay off a debt you incurred before you even met them? What if you lose your job and can't find another one? Now your partner is on the hook for your debt. You say a good marriage is worth all the gold in the world. This is naive sentiment. Money is the number one issue that causes marriages to fail. So to pretend love conquers all flies in the face of what we've seen happen to so many marriages.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think it's selfish to expect your partner to pay off your debt.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
May not be psychologically healthy but it is Russian Roulette to not include economics as a very important factor as to what you do with LTRs. I work in finance and I see the consequences of people not taking finances into consideration before partnering off every day.
THIS.

THANK YOU!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Put down the disney books and deal with the real world. Love doesn't conquer all. It just doesn't.

It conquers most things, but not all.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Put down the disney books and deal with the real world. Love doesn't conquer all. It just doesn't.

It conquers most things, but not all.
Exactly. Love is all well and good but you can't cut checks or buy food or pay rent with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships