Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it's okay to date while separated from your spouse?
Yes, I do. 15 48.39%
No, I don't. 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on dating while separated from your spouse? Would you do it? How far is too far? How long is too long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I think you can do it if you like, but a telling question for you would be "would you date a separated person" because many people (including me) flat out will not do so under any circumstances.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
What are your thoughts on dating while separated from your spouse? Would you do it? How far is too far? How long is too long?
Well, even if separated, there may be chance for reconciliation. However, if the relationship is completely over, and you're just stuck due to all the trouble of divorce, I don't think it's wrong to date a bit. But it may be moving a bit fast. Probably would be better to let the divorce get finalized, and get your life together as a single person 1st, rather than starting another relationship with all the responsibility again so soon.

So, seems when some separate, they may hate the thought of being single, so they go straight for other relationships, even if 1 hasn't completely finished off yet. Not always. Sometimes you meet people when you aren't particularly looking.

But I wouldn't date a man that was still married. He and his wife may be estranged or separated. But he still isn't quite single. And I don't date men still taken up with other women.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
What would be the point? What do you mean by "separated"? You mean if the spouse is on a business trip or vacation without you, or do you mean legally separated?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:38 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What would be the point? What do you mean by "separated"? You mean if the spouse is on a business trip or vacation without you, or do you mean legally separated?
Yes, legally separated.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I did. It takes a year in my state to get a divorce and I'd already been miserable for 5 when I separated.

I told my ex there was zero chance of reconciliation. And I meant it.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
The vast majority of separations end in divorce, not reconciliation. Honestly, you can basically say divorces which are preceded by separations are just divorces that play out in slow motion. I would expect any separated spouse to date other people.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I continued to date, but then we had an open marriage at the end, and I was already in a relationship. Then we separated. Actually, we lived in separate states already as he was a geobachelor in the military. I was in a relationship for 6 months with a man who was also legally separated.

In some states you have to be separated for X amount of time before either party can file, and the divorce was being handled in NC, and I lived in CA.

If there's no chance of reconciliation, and the separated party is legit separated, then I don't see what the issue is. *shrug*

Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The basic generic answer is no, if there are additional circumstances surrounding it, maybe... IDK... my understanding of separation is just so that each side and stand back evaluate whether they want to be together, something along those lines.

If it's just used to get some strange on the side and go back home to the wife after a while, then definitely not down with dating while separated.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I did, but in hindsight I would not do it again. It was a very complicated time and I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to make good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships