Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM

70 posts, read 124,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Congratulations. I'm always amazed that people invest more into their careers than their spouse. Your spouse is the one that will be with you when you retire and die.
So true. I never felt so empty and alone until I lost my job- As someone else pointed out, I revolved my life around my work because I thought that my job represents me as a human being. In reality, my work is just apart of me- it's not all of me. Someday, I will retire and.... die- somebody else will replace me and do the work I use to do because just like everyone else who works for a corporation, I'm expendable.

Last edited by HeadacheFan; 06-11-2014 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
I see nothing louche or reprehensible in dedicating oneself primarily to one's career – for either the husband or the wife. Of course marriages require patience and dedication, but how is it necessary to place one's spouse as the centerpiece of one's emotional wherewithal, instead of one's vocation? The OP shouldn’t berate herself over this.

However, I definitely regard it to be louche and reprehensible to become enamored of the belief that one "can do better" than one's present spouse. Is this where the cult of self-improvement has taken us? Now that I'm such a better woman (or man), I ought to be swimming in deeper waters, and find a better husband (or wife)? Or maybe I'm so awesome, that I don't need anyone whatsoever?

We all need a partner. We all need support. And this is true whether your job is to scrub toilets, or you're the CEO, whether you're an airman without stripes refueling B-52s in Greenland, or a 4-star general. It shouldn't take tragedies such as losing one's job, to appreciate this fact. I'm sorry to hear about the devastating setback in the OP's life, and wish her well. Hopefully she will soon be able to resume her career, but without regarding her husband as inferior to her, or as a stepping-stone to some better alternative.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
So, you wanted to cheat, but you were too busy to cheat. If you were not too busy and the other person is interested also, you would have totally cheated?
Are you going to answer the above question?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
So, you wanted to cheat, but you were too busy to cheat. If you were not too busy and the other person is interested also, you would have totally cheated?
My husband and I were in discussion of a divorce (last week) and we were both in agreement months ago that our marriage is not working out.- I was attracted/infatuated to someone at work and because I'm married, nothing else came out of my feelings. I admit, this "crushing" on someone else influence my decision of "maybe" it's a good idea to get a divorce- (I thought my attraction for another person is a sign of "it's time to divorce" kind of feeling) my mind goes like this at that time: I can do whatever I want, I can work whenever I want and I can start dating whoever I want, if we divorce.- If I wanted to cheat, I could have- but this will mean two things- Betraying my husband twice (I betrayed him once by neglecting our marriage because of my job) and I would need to give another part of me to someone else and I just don't have time for that. Everything I did was for my job- In essence, it was for myself. I was selfish.

I believe that this is the time for redemption. It's really the case of "I didn't know what I got, until it's gone".. this time, "Until it's ALMOST gone". I almost lose my husband,

Last edited by HeadacheFan; 06-11-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I see nothing louche or reprehensible in dedicating oneself primarily to one's career – for either the husband or the wife. Of course marriages require patience and dedication, but how is it necessary to place one's spouse as the centerpiece of one's emotional wherewithal, instead of one's vocation? The OP shouldn’t berate herself over this.

However, I definitely regard it to be louche and reprehensible to become enamored of the belief that one "can do better" than one's present spouse. Is this where the cult of self-improvement has taken us? Now that I'm such a better woman (or man), I ought to be swimming in deeper waters, and find a better husband (or wife)? Or maybe I'm so awesome, that I don't need anyone whatsoever?

We all need a partner. We all need support. And this is true whether your job is to scrub toilets, or you're the CEO, whether you're an airman without stripes refueling B-52s in Greenland, or a 4-star general. It shouldn't take tragedies such as losing one's job, to appreciate this fact. I'm sorry to hear about the devastating setback in the OP's life, and wish her well. Hopefully she will soon be able to resume her career, but without regarding her husband as inferior to her, or as a stepping-stone to some better alternative.
Thank you for saying that. I don't know why I felt that. My husband is a good man, he has a good job- He's attractive, funny and very intelligent. I think because we both work and both are dedicated to our job (he has a good career and spends a lot of his time at work as well as I), our romance took a dive. I got bored. We rarely go on a date and when we do, I always find something negative about it- The place is too crowded, the place is not crowded, food is so so, etc. We were essentially living a separate life.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I think it's kind of pathetic actually, sorry. You lose the 'one' thing that mattered to you and gave you your independence, and now that it's gone and you are financially dependant your husband, now you care about you him?! Wow...lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadacheFan View Post
My husband and I were in discussion of a divorce (last week) and we were both in agreement months ago that our marriage is not working out.- I was attracted/infatuated to someone at work and because I'm married, nothing else came out of my feelings. I admit, this "crushing" on someone else influence my decision of "maybe" it's a good idea to get a divorce- (I thought my attraction for another person is a sign of "it's time to divorce" kind of feeling) my mind goes like this at that time: I can do whatever I want, I can work whenever I want and I can start dating whoever I want, if we divorce.- If I wanted to cheat, I could have- but this will mean two things- Betraying my husband twice (I betrayed him once by neglecting our marriage because of my job) and I would need to give another part of me to someone else and I just don't have time for that. Everything I did was for my job- In essence, it was for myself. I was selfish.

I believe that this is the time for redemption. It's really the case of "I didn't know what I got, until it's gone".. this time, "Until it's ALMOST gone". I almost lose my husband,
This is where the commitment part of marriage comes in. SO many people get tripped up by thinking that "feelings of love" will carry them through the times when you get bored/fed up/busy etc.

It's a CHOICE to stay with him every day no matter what.

I seriously recommend marriage counseling as it really feels like you are on a "thank goodness I have YOU" high right now, and the crash will hit you hard in about two weeks when your previous work routine is no longer there to distract you from your negative feelings about your marriage.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadacheFan View Post

I have to ask? was the reason for your 'firing' because of this other 'crush' at work? boss?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
It must be discouraging to be fired after devoting your life to your job. How does that happen?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I think you're clinging to your husband because he's all you've got. This was your immediate reaction to being fired.

You didn't come to this conclusion over a week or even a month of being unemployed and watching your husband encourage and support you. It was the same day you got fired. Or (for example) if you had realized all this about yourself and quit your job or switched to a less demanding job, your post would make more sense.

Nobody changes immediately like that. Your husband (from what you have said here) has always been a decent guy. Now, he's doing what any decent man would do. He's supporting his spouse through a difficult time.

I do not see what really changed here except that you are unemployed and dependent on your husband.

Once you find a new job, it's not unlikely that you'll go back to being consumed by work.

Something has to really change. A way of thinking does not change in the span of a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships