Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM

323 posts, read 308,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Those gaps aren't even close to being filled right now though.
If you don't mind me asking:

Why not? What's holding you back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
If you don't mind me asking:

Why not? What's holding you back?
The older you get, the harder it gets to fill in the gaps.

People have built up their lives to such a degree that they have almost no time for others. On top of that, people are very picky about who they will give their time too. You have to be able to offer them something.

The easiest situation for most is just to fill in the gap by finding someone to date, even if you're not attractive to the opposite sex for the most part.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
The older you get, the harder it gets to fill in the gaps.

People have built up their lives to such a degree that they have almost no time for others. On top of that, people are very picky about who they will give their time too. You have to be able to offer them something.

The easiest situation for most is just to fill in the gap by finding someone to date, even if you're not attractive to the opposite sex for the most part.
I thought you meant filling in the gaps with hobbies and such.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
There's some people that say they don't wanna date but they really never had a choice in the first place. I guess it just makes them feel better to say it like that.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
There's some people that say they don't wanna date but they really never had a choice in the first place. I guess it just makes them feel better to say it like that.
There are some. I'm guessing you haven't gotten your, eh, circumstance changed then? No go on the guy at your meeting?

There was a lot of good advice in that topic you started.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,824 times
Quote:
I thought you meant filling in the gaps with hobbies and such.
You could do that too.

But I think most people need a certain level of human companionship.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
There are some. I'm guessing you haven't gotten your, eh, circumstance changed then? No go on the guy at your meeting?

There was a lot of good advice in that topic you started.

Alright I think there's more then just some. There's probably a lot that say it that way but it's not exactly true. I used to be like that at least now I can admit it. I used to not want to date because I didn't understand it and now I want to and don't have a choice. my thread had some great suggestions and I planned on trying one of them with the lighter but he never showed for his meeting. So I will see what happens this thursday, I have lost confidence in asking him out though. He is attractive and don't see why he would want me.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Alright I think there's more then just some. There's probably a lot that say it that way but it's not exactly true. I used to be like that at least now I can admit it. I used to not want to date because I didn't understand it and now I want to and don't have a choice. my thread had some great suggestions and I planned on trying one of them with the lighter but he never showed for his meeting. So I will see what happens this thursday, I have lost confidence in asking him out though. He is attractive and don't see why he would want me.
Let's take this piece by piece.

Quote:
Alright I think there's more then just some. There's probably a lot that say it that way but it's not exactly true.
No disagreement there. You made me think about it, and I'd say you're probably right. I'd go so far as to guess that the majority are like that. Which means that people just automatically lumps those who actually DON'T want anything to do with it in the same category. As someone else put it, the sad sacks.

Quote:
I used to not want to date because I didn't understand it and now I want to and don't have a choice.
I used to want to for the same reason, because I didn't understand. Now I do.

You always have a choice. It's whether you can do what it takes to make your choice a reality that's the question.

Quote:
my thread had some great suggestions and I planned on trying one of them with the lighter but he never showed for his meeting.
I saw that suggestion. I guess it would work ok if you have some kind of social anxiety or something. Back when I used to smoke, I wouldn't have thought twice about a woman lighting my cigarette for me. Some smokers don't want to let their lighter out of their hands, cuz they've had too many walk off. I understand this all too well. I really doubt I would have ever seen it as anything other than smokers being smokers. Unless there was language, verbal or body, that was pretty blatant about something else. BUT, that's just me, and obviously your situation is very different.

Quote:
So I will see what happens this thursday, I have lost confidence in asking him out though. He is attractive and don't see why he would want me.
What makes you so absolutely certain that you're unattractive? Physically, I mean. I have a feeling that you have a vibe about you that isn't helping things, plus you live in what's probably one of the most unfriendly regions of the country, so that's probably hurting your game too.

I think maybe we should stop derailing this topic. My apologies to OP.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

244 posts, read 707,249 times
Quote:
Let's take this piece by piece.

No disagreement there. You made me think about it, and I'd say you're probably right. I'd go so far as to guess that the majority are like that. Which means that people just automatically lumps those who actually DON'T want anything to do with it in the same category. As someone else put it, the sad sacks.

I used to want to for the same reason, because I didn't understand. Now I do.

You always have a choice. It's whether you can do what it takes to make your choice a reality that's the question.

I saw that suggestion. I guess it would work ok if you have some kind of social anxiety or something. Back when I used to smoke, I wouldn't have thought twice about a woman lighting my cigarette for me. Some smokers don't want to let their lighter out of their hands, cuz they've had too many walk off. I understand this all too well. I really doubt I would have ever seen it as anything other than smokers being smokers. Unless there was language, verbal or body, that was pretty blatant about something else. BUT, that's just me, and obviously your situation is very different.

What makes you so absolutely certain that you're unattractive? Physically, I mean. I have a feeling that you have a vibe about you that isn't helping things, plus you live in what's probably one of the most unfriendly regions of the country, so that's probably hurting your game too.

I think maybe we should stop derailing this topic. My apologies to OP.
No need to apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships