Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times

Advertisements

Happened across this... For what it's worth, I'm in a marriage of 16 years, I'm the wife. I have on occasion done as females are occasionally wont to do, and kvetched and complained about my husband. This is...petty stuff I'm just fussing out loud about, to whomever is around and willing to listen. Unfortunately this gives others the tendency to believe that I am somehow miserable in my relationship, which I'm not. I don't discuss these grievances with my husband because I consider them minor and don't want to be "that wife"...forever nagging over everything.

Well, to the point, I most often hear "you should leave that guy" from other women. It's almost the party line. Divorced ladies tell me it was the best decision they ever made. Women with troubled relationships project their issues on mine. You name it. It only makes me stubbornly dig in my heels, because no WAY am I giving up on my marriage over dumb stuff. But women often give other women that kind of advice.

If a MAN were to give me that advice...sorry, as much as I defend a woman's right to try and have male friends, and I've got many of my own...if a male told me I should leave my husband, unless he's gay, I would immediately suspect him of ulterior motives. I find it sad that your wife doesn't see this, or perhaps she does and she is a little bit open to the idea, herself. (hopefully not)... There is little you can do to get in the way of the friendship without coming off as a controller or manipulator, and it isn't fair to you at all.

So bottom line, having male friends isn't necessarily terrible if a person is rock solid in their relationship and is the type to have friends for other reasons (like mine are fans of a band, on a pool team, and other artists...we share interests.) But for a dude to say something like that to a woman...that's not cool.

I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,873 times
Honestly, this isn't the place for you to be airing these personal problems. Get your Mrs. to agree to some marriage counseling so the two of you can straighten out these issues. And, FWIW, you talking about these issues here is the same as her talking about the issues with her male pal. You need mediation, and counseling is the best route.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM

34 posts, read 101,864 times
Thanks everyone for the advice and I would like to clear up a few things. This guy doesn't just come out and say leave him but he does say stuff like. I wouldn't EVER put up with that EVER and I don't know how you do it. This is an example of a returned text from him and yes ever is in all caps in text. I will also say her having male friends isn't exactly something just like but I do try to understand. Social guy friends that talk about just random bs is cool but stay clear of the relationship area that's pushing it. And to clarify one more thing I do try and talk to her she clams up and shuts her emotions in but releases them all to her friends female and this one male

Old 06-16-2014, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 101,864 times
Talking on here to someone on an electronic device that's 1000 miles away is nothing like meeting up and texting another man sorry friend you're way off. Im on here for advice to help relationship I don't know if you're a dude or a gal

Old 06-16-2014, 05:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 7,757,140 times
I started a similar thread a few weeks back about this same issue. I too think they need to work things out among themselves or talk to a counselor. I would resent it if I were married and my husband shared our personal info with his friends or other family member. It's just not a good idea.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-16-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,174 times
Relationships are made up of "two" people, and there is always "many sides" to the realities within a couples relationship.

When people get in relations, they are responsible for themselves to work with it and maintain it. There are no fairy tale fantasy, it's about two people "learning" how to live with and share with each other, as well as "learning" to realize it is not just about them, it is about the person they are with as well. It's took 'both to start it, and it takes both to make it work.

No one is going to like everything about the other, because as people, there are many things people have to learn to like about themselves. Therefore common logic would indicate, that people have to invest in learning each other, and life is always about "learning and adjustments". No one is going to be a puppet for the other, but people can learn to share respectfully and appreciatively and build an enduring relationship.

I have no comment about -third parties.

"Wishing the best"

Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldman1981 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and I would like to clear up a few things. This guy doesn't just come out and say leave him but he does say stuff like. I wouldn't EVER put up with that EVER and I don't know how you do it. This is an example of a returned text from him and yes ever is in all caps in text. I will also say her having male friends isn't exactly something just like but I do try to understand. Social guy friends that talk about just random bs is cool but stay clear of the relationship area that's pushing it. And to clarify one more thing I do try and talk to her she clams up and shuts her emotions in but releases them all to her friends female and this one male

I think you need to work on the approach. Be more spontaneous, women hate boring. I really think this will pass, don't let it bother you.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,873 times
Talking on here to someone on an electronic device that's 1000 miles away is nothing like meeting up and texting another man sorry friend you're way off. Im on here for advice to help relationship I don't know if you're a dude or a gal

Sorry, I don't see it that way. You're both asking for help from people who shouldn't be involved....whether they're on an "electronic device" or in person. So no, I'm not "way off." And whether I'm a "dude or a gal" doesn't make any difference.

I too think they need to work things out among themselves or talk to a counselor. I would resent it if I were married and my husband shared our personal info with his friends or other family member. It's just not a good idea.

^^^Ditto^^^

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 PM

482 posts, read 845,053 times
A typical guy isn't interested in being friends to a married woman unless he wants sex. I would tell her to ditch the friend asap.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,889 times
Probably the biggest mis-categorized post ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships