Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times

Advertisements

Never online dated; it was never an option. Might consider it in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Many people who struggle with regular dating see OLD as a magic potion which will solve all their problems. Then when it flops they blame the technology.

For me, I would say 90% of the guys I know who are successful with OLD just use it to hookup with women. They specifically go after women who are less attractive than themselves for a quick lay.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:13 PM

663 posts, read 777,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Many people who struggle with regular dating see OLD as a magic potion which will solve all their problems. Then when it flops they blame the technology.

For me, I would say 90% of the guys I know who are successful with OLD just use it to hookup with women. They specifically go after women who are less attractive than themselves for a quick lay.

And women who are a 5 or 6 thinks they can snatch a guy who is a 8 or 9 but then get really angry when he stops messaging after the quick lay.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Same here. I get to screen out some major dealbreakers in advance rather than having them crop up later. I can count on one hand the number of unpleasant internet dates I've had. But I've only had one good experience meeting guys in "real life" ways.
Yep. I've never been on a "horrible" date. There was a French dude who came on way, way too strong for my taste. He was nice, but yeah, there was no date number two. But it wasn't horrible. Most dates never went beyond the first, as it usually goes.

There was only one guy, who I thankfully didn't meet in person, who went apesh*t when I expressed second thoughts about meeting in person after he confided in me about his sordid past involving dealing drugs, assault and battery, being an addict, etc. And he just went off on me for days. Blocked him many times and he would recreate profiles just to contact me. Then he gave up.

I mean, yeah, I'm going to wonder why an American is living in Tijuana, off the grid. That's just... odd. So I inquired. But he's really the only legit crazy dude I've come across in the time I spent on those sites.

The majority of dates were nice and pleasant, even if they didn't "go" anywhere. I met some interesting people. I liked interacting and meeting new people.

And I've only had the "guy doesn't look like his picture" issue happen twice. The first guy, his picture must have been a decade old. He put on a good 75 lbs. He was a big, solid guy. He was nice. His girlfriend was a riot, though. She was awesome. The other, pretty much the same. He was a former Marine. He was a solid guy before he got out, and put on a lot of weight after. He was a sweetheart, but I wasn't attracted to him in a romantic manner.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Oh, you mean like this guy? I still get a good laugh from it. And the thing is, there was a decent level of compatibility and he expressed a lot of interest for weeks. But he was talking to someone else at the same time, met up with her, and she fell for him, yada, yada. He explained the situation later on and I wished him luck. Then a couple months later, this wonderful gem: (yes, these types exist, but they're not all like that)

Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM

600 posts, read 824,374 times
Depends on what you are looking for specifically. Many people use online dating with no real intent of dating. It's often either ego boosters, text buddies, or general entertainment.

There's nothing wrong with it, but I would certainly not make it your primary form of dating. I like it b/c you can put yourself out there over a broad area without physically being present.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM

600 posts, read 824,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Oh, you mean like this guy? I still get a good laugh from it. And the thing is, there was a decent level of compatibility and he expressed a lot of interest for weeks. But he was talking to someone else at the same time, met up with her, and she fell for him, yada, yada. He explained the situation later on and I wished him luck. Then a couple months later, this wonderful gem: (yes, these types exist, but they're not all like that)

Sounds like a natural Don Juan to me.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
And women who are a 5 or 6 thinks they can snatch a guy who is a 8 or 9 but then get really angry when he stops messaging after the quick lay.
Basically. Attractive men have been using less attractive women for flings and hookups since literally forever. Online dating just makes it easier

Old 06-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
Not complaining, I just don't bother. I can spend my time more wisely by, oh I don't know...say, watching paint dry, or perhaps counting grains of sand.

Can't say how it is from the female perspective, but to me, OLD looks like a repository for the dating game's rejects.
With the millions that have used OLD, I wouldn't imply it's mainly for the less desirable. I had no interest in meeting potential dates at Target, Jamba Juice, in line at Chipotle, or wherever. The likelihood of meeting someone I am compatible with at any such places is extremely slim. And meetups are great, but they cover one particular interest. So I could join a photography meetup because I like photography, but that just means I could meet someone who also likes photography. What if he doesn't meet the many other criteria? The atheist/agnostic meetup consists of mostly older, 50's, people, and some married couples. And a lot of the gaming groups are made up of much younger men.

So these special interest groups cover one interest. Just because we have X in common doesn't mean we're actually compatible. But compatibility can be much easier to assess when using OLD. And since I am an introvert and introverts typically are more comfortable in internet community settings, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Sounds like a natural Don Juan to me.
A total keeper.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:

That's all it seems like its good for. I've never done it, but if I were going through a drought I'd probably be on there trolling for tail errrr trying to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships