Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times

Advertisements

That's a first!

Anyway, I went out tonight with some co-workers that I honestly don't care for much, they're all younger dorky engineers who are recent grads, they begged me to go out with them since I rarely drink and I'm kind of their go-to guy or whatever. Sure, why not. It might be a good time and let me see how they have fun.

They were all just standing around the bar talking about work so I left and started mingling with random women, I'd just go sit at their table, introduce myself and talk about random stupid topics. I wasn't even trying to take anyone home, just trying to pass time for the most part.

Near the end of the night a nice looking woman that was talking to a co-worker grabbed me and said "Would you like some advice?" She told me to stop being so over confident. She said I was being too obvious that I was there looking to get laid. I was just walking over to tell the guys lets go, since I was driving home.

I wasn't even trying to get to laid to be honest, was just trying to get away from my co-workers and be social. Should I tone it down a little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Now, i wonder why she would have said that?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
It is obvious from your writing that you think far more of yourself than you should.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
What lady says that? Lol

Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Over confidant is not over bearing.

I knew this guy who always acted the oblivious, mysterious dude and he knew what he was doing. When all the other dogs around him acted over eager, he'd play this role. It might work in the movies, but it doesn't in real life.

The woman may have wanted to continue her conversation with your co-worker and you were begging to go and she was telling you to loosen up.

So, chill.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
I'd rather be on the side of over confident than under confident. Which I am. Anything in extreme is not healthy so be careful with it.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
If you sit down at a table of women without being invited, you're either overconfident or just kind of rude. So yeah, you probably do need to take it down a notch.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Why on earth would a complete stranger in a bar critique your behavior?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Why on earth would a complete stranger in a bar critique your behavior?
I agree, that is odd!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:46 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
If you sit down at a table of women without being invited, you're either overconfident or just kind of rude. So yeah, you probably do need to take it down a notch.
There is some truth to this. At the same time, women misread signals just as often as men misread women's signals. Case in point, I was recently surprised when I was approached by a guy at the mall. It turns out I had made eye contact with his wife while casually looking around the store we were in. Moments later and by complete happenstance, I made eye contact with her again. Shortly after that she sicked the hubby on me. He said something to the tune of, "My wife tells me you're trying to flirt with her and I'm here to tell you that's going to stop now." I rolled my eyes and told him to tell his wife to stop flattering herself. Eye contact is a mutual occurrence and I could have just as easily turned my wife lose on her, save the fact I'm not conceited enough to believe incidental eye contact is anything more than it actually is.

In OP's case it sounds like he was the DD. Have you ever been the DD while your pals are all getting drunk? It's boring as hell. It's not unnatural or overconfident to wander around and chat with anyone who will listen. You have to pass the time somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships