Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

No but close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think it would be rare to find such a woman. I am sure they are out there, but considering (according to the CDC) only 9% of women have had sex with more than 15 men from ages 20-59, they are going to be hard to find. And a woman on the extreme high end (100+) is going to be very hard to find. I would suspect that men who have sex with a lot of women are more likely to run into this type of woman though (my thought being that both men and women who have "high numbers" probably hang out and frequent places they know they can hook up with others easily).
Something to note: Remember that the CDC gets their data by surveying women on a topic that is HIGHLY subjective to social desirability bias. I'm not saying I disagree with your post (I actually agree with the general idea), but that it's VERY likely that the "9% of women, >15 men, age 20-59" is low.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Something to note: Remember that the CDC gets their data by surveying women on a topic that is HIGHLY subjective to social desirability bias. I'm not saying I disagree with your post (I actually agree with the general idea), but that it's VERY likely that the "9% of women, >15 men, age 20-59" is low.

Yeah, I don't buy it for a second either. The estimates are crazy low.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
It could be... nothing stops people from lying on any survey. But it's about as accurate as you can get since they use good sampling methods. And if it helps, it (the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey) was an anonymous survey that was done in such a way as to get as accurate info as they could because they needed it for disease prevention, etc (basically, they tried to create something where there was no need to lie). As the CDC put it, "data was gathered from 6,237 adults, aged 20 to 59, in what are called computer-assisted self-interviews — a method designed to provide complete privacy and produce more honest answers."

Here's some more interesting info from it about sexuality in the US.

• Ninety six percent of U.S. adults have had sex.
  • Sixteen percent of adults first had sex before age 15, while 15 percent abstained from sex until at least age 21.
  • Seventeen percent of men and 10 percent of women reported having two or more sexual partners in the past year.
  • Twenty-five percent of women and 17 percent of men reporting having no more than one partner of the other sex in their lifetime.
  • 29 percent of men say they've had 15 or more sexual partners in their entire life.
  • The median number of lifetime female sexual partners for men was seven; the median number of male partners for women was four.

EDIT: Here's a link to the survey: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad384.pdf

Last edited by jillabean; 06-23-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
It could be... nothing stops people from lying on any survey. But it's about as accurate as you can get since they use good sampling methods. And if it helps, it (the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey) was an anonymous survey that was done in such a way as to get as accurate info as they could because they needed it for disease prevention, etc (basically, they tried to create something where there was no need to lie). As the CDC put it, "data was gathered from 6,237 adults, aged 20 to 59, in what are called computer-assisted self-interviews — a method designed to provide complete privacy and produce more honest answers."
Social desirability bias is consistently shown to appear even in the most private of tests. I know it's the best we have, you just need to make sure to take the results with a grain of salt. Consider what the results would be in a male survey of penis length, even if it were 100% private. I can assure you that you wouldn't get a realistic average.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Well, idk about hundreds. But a divorced woman on a site I am a member of states she had lots of "boy toys", and that she's a **** and proud.

She thinks the word is a double standard, but since people are determined to say she is one, then she claims the title proudly, because she's enjoying sex without a relationship. lol

Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Social desirability bias is consistently shown to appear even in the most private of tests. I know it's the best we have, you just need to make sure to take the results with a grain of salt. Consider what the results would be in a male survey of penis length, even if it were 100% private. I can assure you that you wouldn't get a realistic average.

Yeah, a median would be far more helpful. The reduction in the mean from people that only ever had 1-2 partners is probably significant.

Then when I was in KY and Southern IN I also ran into "born again virgins" which made me stifle a LOL.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31
You have a good point. But still, it's better than the "pulled out of nowhere" numbers some posters here give when they say weird things like "99% of women have had 25 partners" and such. Even if you triple the CDC number and say 27% of woman have had 15 or more partners in their lifetime, it comes no where near the hyperbole you see some posters spouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, a median would be far more helpful. The reduction in the mean from people that only ever had 1-2 partners is probably significant.

Then when I was in KY and Southern IN I also ran into "born again virgins" which made me stifle a LOL.
The median number of lifetime female sexual partners for men was seven; the median number of male partners for women was four.

Of course, this is a median for men and women ages 20-59. Which is a broad age range... and it includes all those older folks who lived in the hippy "free love" time and then the people who "shut down" during the 80s AIDS scare, as well those out there now dating in a more sexualized society, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
True. Also keep in mind that those numbers include married women (who likely only have one partner for a significant length of time), lesbian women (who may have zero male partners), very religious women (including those who take a vow of celibacy like nuns), extremely unattractive or undesirable (for whatever reason) women, and a host of other groups bringing the average down. That means if you looked at a population of single, reasonably attractive, healthy, progressive women the numbers are going to be higher.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Exactly. Or zero partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships