Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

Because I refused to settle. I want marriage but didn't want to marry the wrong person just to be married. I know people who did and either divorced or are miserable. The only problem of course is as one ages the chances of finding the one slim but why rush into it? I had chances to marry but knew they weren't the one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
It's mostly because people don't want to hear you talking about marriage one way or the other unless you have a partner already.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
It's because I'm still waiting on my Ukrainian mail order bride.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,448,641 times
How Come You've Never Been Married?

When I was asked that a lot when I was busy online dating... I was very tempted to reply:

uhhh because I think I'm a lesbian, LOOOOOOOOL.

Well all that changed when I married my husband of course.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
Yes I have been asked about why I am not married. I am in my 30's I am handicapped so I get asked dumb questions all the time. Can you have sex? Will your kids be handicapped? The next time a girl ask me about sex I am going to say is it an offer? I think when they ask about me about having no girlfriend or wife it is out of pity. Not being married or in a relationship is not a conscious choice. People tell me your such a nice guy and handsome you will find someone. I can not even get a date so marriage is out. I have had women tell me. I can not believe no one has snapped you up. But they are just being nice. I only fell in love once with a friend. She did not love me married another guy. When you a handicapped guy opening up is something you do not do. The risk is simply too great for a number of reasons. My chances of marrying are very slim. People do not realize how few handicapped people even date. Getting married is so very rare. Now being older I put my odds at less then 5%. I was once on a train an older woman asked why are you not married? You do not want to get married? When your handicapped people feel it is ok to ask anything. But she said it in mean tone. So I told her I feel in love once it did not work out. At this point I have made peace with being alone.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Hell, I wish I had never gotten married.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
At a lunch I was asked if I'm married today. It made me think. It has seriously been years since I've been asked. Perhaps it is readily obvious?

I'm down with that.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I've always found it to be a wildly ignorant question.
Ditto. I also find that I'm almost never asked this ever since I moved to an urban area where people are a little more progressive and used to encountering people with a diversity of lifestyles. I was asked this question more in suburbs and small towns, and especially in the Bible Belt where they start asking it of people in their mid-to-late-20's! (I'm not joking.)

Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
There was a related thread on here when the person asked whether you would be less likely to date someone if they were over 40 and had never been married. Quite a number of responders said yes. The thinking is that if you haven't been married by now, there's probably something wrong with you and that no one wanted you. I've learned to ignore the people who think that. But what does bother me is when people presume I'll eventually come around and change my mind about marriage. It's similar to how people treat you when you say you don't want kids. They tell you that you'll change your mind about that too. There's this mistaken belief these people have that everyone is headed towards the same goal, married with children. They can't fathom why anyone wouldn't that life. My personal favorite is "aren't you afraid of dying alone?" I have to remind these people that when you die, you don't get to take these people with you. So why does it matter if you're on your deathbed surrounded by a spouse and kids?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There was a related thread on here when the person asked whether you would be less likely to date someone if they were over 40 and had never been married. Quite a number of responders said yes. The thinking is that if you haven't been married by now, there's probably something wrong with you and that no one wanted you. I've learned to ignore the people who think that. But what does bother me is when people presume I'll eventually come around and change my mind about marriage. It's similar to how people treat you when you say you don't want kids. They tell you that you'll change your mind about that too. There's this mistaken belief these people have that everyone is headed towards the same goal, married with children. They can't fathom why anyone wouldn't that life. My personal favorite is "aren't you afraid of dying alone?" I have to remind these people that when you die, you don't get to take these people with you. So why does it matter if you're on your deathbed surrounded by a spouse and kids?
The only thing that bothers me about it is that people expect you to have done some of everything by a certain. Particularly a first kiss and sex. And some people will think less of you if you have no experience.

I do eventually want experience what is like but I'm not in a rush. I would hate to do something I'll just regret later. I honestly, kind of wish I was one of those people who didn't care about being with someone else and didn't have any want for any kind of connection. It just seems that would be so much easier, but I have this sinking feeling I will regret that too. I guess because I have never had it.

I just want to get to the point where I don't worry about it. I really just want to be all focused on loving myself and getting myself together for the future because I have A LOT of things I need to work on myself as a person. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to have a family nor is there anything wrong with wanting to be alone. I just believe I would want to see what a relationship feels like before I completely shut the idea down. But what worries me is that people get caught up in these ridiculous ideals and beliefs one what make a relationship work when I have never even considered an idea of approaching dating that way and maybe I am just doing it wrong.

It's honestly just a big confusing mess and after thinking about it so much, it can become very depressing and almost disabling if it really gets to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships