Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times

Advertisements

Nope. I've always been into electronics and gadgets. I'd love to one day have a theater room with a projector and screen and movie theater seats.

I love Bose sound systems, and top of the line electronics. I avoid watching anything that isn't HD. But I'm also a cine/audiophile, and don't like watching movies on small screens. I like the experience of watching it in HD and on a big screen. Nothing beats seeing a movie on an IMAX screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
When i was young I really wanted a big screen. Probably the biggest one I could find when I was ready for it.

But, I got older, and I realized all I did was watch sports, and for a period of time after football season I wouldn't even watch TV at all. What's the point of owning a TV, a large one at that, if I'm not watching it all the time?

I'd rather have multiple computer monitors or something. Not saying I'd get use out of more than 1 monitor, but I'm more likely to use them than I am a TV throughout the year.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
I don't know if the policies of the site will allow me to link this but here is an article about a female audiophile:

Confessions of a female audiophile - CNET

So they are out there. There are female gamers too.

Lots of women are musicians so it stands to reason that some women would be interested in sound fidelity and possibly a big screen. I would guess that if you went to the home of famous female musicians like Joan Jett, they might have a home theater system.

Oh this article too, also written by a woman.

It's Complicated: Understanding a Woman's Relationship with A/V Gear

Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
I have had 3 ex gfs and every one of them has talked down about my having a large TV and 5.1 surround sound system. I am a video/audiophile and really like getting the best picture/sound quality I can and also make sure all the cables are hidden away, yet for some reason my ex gfs have said things to the effect of "Why do you need such a big TV?" or "Why so many speakers? The speakers coming out of the TV is fine". They could not tell the difference between DVD and Blu Ray movies and if I would spend money to upgrade they would say it was a waste of money. I don't get it. Is this just a guy thing? I have also noticed while I have seen women with HDTVs I have never seen a woman with a surround sound system or like what I have a 60' TV or anything near as big.
Honey I am probably twice your age. I've been an audiophile since I knew what the word meant. And I'm female. I think it tends to be more of a "geeky" thing. Lots of us girl geeks around.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
I don't know how someone could look at normal video (such as from a DVD) and HD video (such as from a Blu Ray) and not see the difference in resolution!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM

163 posts, read 138,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Nope. I've always been into electronics and gadgets. I'd love to one day have a theater room with a projector and screen and movie theater seats. I love Bose sound systems, and top of the line electronics. I avoid watching anything that isn't HD. But I'm also a cine/audiophile, and don't like watching movies on small screens. I like the experience of watching it in HD and on a big screen. Nothing beats seeing a movie on an IMAX screen.
That's awesome! While it is of course their choice, I really don't understand why it seems to be such a guy thing. I would think having great picture and sound would be something liked more equally. To be immersed in the movie/game is a very awesome experience! For the record, I haven't had cable/satellite for years, I use it for my movies, games and I will sometimes hook my PC up to it. I currently have a 60' Plasma mounted on my wall and have my sound system set up for optimum surround sound. For movies I love hearing things as if you were there and for games especially first person shooter games it comes in VERY handy in being able to pinpoint where enemies or fire is coming from.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
I have had 3 ex gfs and every one of them has talked down about my having a large TV and 5.1 surround sound system. I am a video/audiophile and really like getting the best picture/sound quality I can and also make sure all the cables are hidden away, yet for some reason my ex gfs have said things to the effect of "Why do you need such a big TV?" or "Why so many speakers? The speakers coming out of the TV is fine". They could not tell the difference between DVD and Blu Ray movies and if I would spend money to upgrade they would say it was a waste of money. I don't get it. Is this just a guy thing? I have also noticed while I have seen women with HDTVs I have never seen a woman with a surround sound system or like what I have a 60' TV or anything near as big.
Do men like tech more than women? I'd say generally they like it more.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
When i was young I really wanted a big screen. Probably the biggest one I could find when I was ready for it.
My beef with dudes and their TVs, is that so many of them tend to buy the biggest TV they can get regardless of the size of their living room or the setup of their furniture. So you see these guys with small apartments and comically huge televisions that look terrible and don't fit the space.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
yes, its a guy thing

any womans home/apt ive been in i analyze the bathroom cleanliness, the tv/electronics, and the movie collection

they all usually have shhty tvs, and if they have a flatscreen the color is too red or has a gray tinge

anyways, they dont really care about all that ish sd & hd is the same to them

Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My beef with dudes and their TVs, is that so many of them tend to buy the biggest TV they can get regardless of the size of their living room or the setup of their furniture. So you see these guys with small apartments and comically huge televisions that look terrible and don't fit the space.
I actually agree, if you want to rock that new 70 incher, you best have a decently sized space to put it in, otherwise, yeah, it does look comical.

We have a friend like that, she's got a big screen in her house and she has a living room the size of a coat closet.

Definitely looks odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships