Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times

Advertisements

I have my doubts you can really alter your own personality drastically but there's going to be someone out there who finds all your quirks adorable. People who find dating success after altering their personality probably didn't alter their personality but figured out how to market themselves better. Your personality is based on your genetic makeup interacting with the environment and has been in development since birth. There is probably very little you can do on a day to day basis to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Adi do you have any female friends? One thing I think would be a good idea is to just see how females work. we are so much different than men.

I think by getting to know some girls as just friends will help you learn how to act around them and what they expect from men. It would be a first step to becoming comfortable around them.

I am of the belief that you don't really change your personality, it is the same for the most part all along the way. We grow in life, and that is different.

Also, you should not have to change for any woman, but only for yourself. The same with women.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM

957 posts, read 1,059,884 times
You don't really need to change much, just put yourself in social situations where there are women around, and talk to them like they're your sister or cousin. Don't be afraid to say things to them that you would say to your buddies.

When I was going through your problem I found it easiest to just start up random conversations with people. It was hard, some people ignored me, but when people spoke back and started a conversation it was usually pretty fun.

Not just with attractive women, everyone, everywhere you are.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Thanks for your valuable advice .

Well, mom is sort of budding out. I mentioned that in my first post. But I know she wont let go completely. She wants to know who I am going out with, just to make sure I don't run into trouble. After all, I am her son and she wants to make sure I stay safe. She is fairly confident and trust's I can hold my own in other aspects.

My major fear regarding personality is making a negative remark on women. Suppose she indulges in risky behavior which might lead to trouble. How I can convince her that she is doing something wrong, without making her get emotional.

I had this problem with my cousin sister. She overspeed's, swerves, and when I comment on her driving as risky she swears at me . Why ?
Stay safe? From what--female rapists and dates that turn into muggings? What's your mom afraid of?

The women you date aren't your cousin's sister. They won't swear at you. Most women drive safely. However, few people appreciate a "backseat driver", someone critiquing their driving, so dial that back.

You're over-worrying this. Just get out and enjoy conversations with women. You seem so conscientious, I can't imagine you'd make a tactless negative remark. Just enjoy getting to know people. That's all dating is. No personality shift necessary. Avoid situations that have the potential to get out of control, like wild parties. There are plenty of women who aren't interested in that. Be selective.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
I am in my early 20's and mom was talking to me about entering the relationship period. One thing women always value highly is a fantastic personality, and I want to know how to develop one. Should I take classes or self learn. I have a few bad habits that need to be extinguished immediately, so I am considering a change. I want to reform into a polished gentleman, and need to know how. Mom said she could only guide me so far, and now it's up to me as a full grown man. I am excited in undertaking the journey, but a rough direction would help me traverse this period. So, tell me how you went through the period of personality shift.
One thing that helped me develop a personality was that I looked at people who had better personalities and decided on what personality I wanted to emulate. Probably doesn't make sense but I am a little pressed for time.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
One thing that helped me develop a personality was that I looked at people who had better personalities and decided on what personality I wanted to emulate. Probably doesn't make sense but I am a little pressed for time.
Having role models is definitely helpful. But that should have been taking place throughout the teens and college years, if not earlier. (I'm speaking about the OP.)

Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Having role models is definitely helpful. But that should have been taking place throughout the teens and college years, if not earlier. (I'm speaking about the OP.)
I agree with you Ruth. By the OPs age your personality is set. I think the OP might mean something other than what he describes in the title.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I agree with you Ruth. By the OPs age your personality is set. I think the OP might mean something other than what he describes in the title.
This is what I'm wondering, too. It would be helpful if the OP could clarify what he means. Judging by subsequent posts, it seems like he's just feeling a little awkward about how to talk to and interact with women compatibly.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I agree with you Ruth. By the OPs age your personality is set.
I think there are minor fixes that need to be done to my personality. If at all I can change for the better, then this is the best time to do it. I need things to be set before venturing out alone this fall.

Just like Amtrak tweaked the tracks and cantenary last fall before inaugurating high speed trains for the holiday season.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-08-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:

Just like Amtrak tweaked the tracks and cantenary last fall before inaugurating high speed trains for the holiday season.
Well, sort of ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships